Thick heads with a good deep tone

I was just wondering what were some good heads that could last getting a good beating and also help give a good deep tone to drums.

2-ply heads take a beating and last pretty long and will give you a deep tone (depending on how you tune of course).

G2, Emperor, EC2, Pinstripes. Any of these will do.

Remo Powerstroke 4, I just got 1 and I love it, great low tone and 2 ply, it's their lowest sounding head they offer.

when i played the Ambassador - new head every week, easily, switched to the Evans Genera and played it for about a two weeks - no chipping, denting or just plain caving in - very tough! the coated G2's on my toms are just as strong, will say the tone on the Genera is a low, woody note - not a cracking sound, makes my 14x5 sound like a 14x8!

I use Coated Emperors over Coated Ambassadors and it gives a nice deep, warm tone

Wow, thanks for all of the replies, didn't think I'd get that many, especially that many different ones. Haha I guess I'll just start from the top and work my way down thanks guys.

One quick question, does price relate to actual durability and quality of the drumheads? There's a big difference in the prices with these heads.

Ball-tipped sticks will kill drumheads quickly, but other than that durability has more to do with the drummer than the heads.

If you really do want a "thick head with a good deep tone" I'd try Evans clear EC1s. Single-ply 14mil. Sound great tuned low, very warm, few overtones. Louder than a 2-ply.

Trying heads is expensive; what I do is boil it down to 2 or 3 candidates and buy one head each for just one tom, say a 12". Try them one after the other, you'll see what they sound like on your drums and get a pretty good idea of what a set of them will sound like without spending a fortune.

Ball-tipped sticks will kill drumheads quickly, but other than that durability has more to do with the drummer than the heads.

If you really do want a "thick head with a good deep tone" I'd try Evans clear EC1s. Single-ply 14mil. Sound great tuned low, very warm, few overtones. Louder than a 2-ply.

Trying heads is expensive; what I do is boil it down to 2 or 3 candidates and buy one head each for just one tom, say a 12". Try them one after the other, you'll see what they sound like on your drums and get a pretty good idea of what a set of them will sound like without spending a fortune.

I have a slight caution: the ec1/ec2 on smaller drums (6/8) really flatten the tonality. On smaller toms I use 2 ply clear with no damping. I prefer using g2 clears to ec-2, just because a dab of moongel may be all the damping I need, and the ring may be more than I want.

I just tried the gplus coated and they slaughter the tone IMO. UGH.

I have a slight caution: the ec1/ec2 on smaller drums (6/8) really flatten the tonality. On smaller toms I use 2 ply clear with no damping. I prefer using g2 clears to ec-2, just because a dab of moongel may be all the damping I need, and the ring may be more than I want.

I just tried the gplus coated and they slaughter the tone IMO. UGH.

I've never heard a head with that Evans frosty "coating" sound good. I use the G-plus clears as resos on a couple of toms to good effect.

Back