Thread: On teaching
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2015, 06:32 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: On teaching

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcspears View Post
I had a similar experience at the conservatory I attended... not as harsh as whiplash, but it wasn't all hand-holding and love either.

My first ensemble, the professor gave us his own arrangement of a Cole Porter trunk song (Everything I Love) which was in 7/4.

All the players had just met and were of varying skill levels. We didn't even make it out of the A section before we stopped and each of us got ripped apart. I distinctly remember the teacher telling the pano player he played like a "See You Next Tuesday".

By the end of that semester, we'd all learned so much and were really tight. And we the teacher began to warm up to us. I think he even told me once that my solo "wasn't bad at all".

Fast forward to working as a gigging musician, and I've had to deal with the same sorts of issues with band leaders.

Being a musician is just like any trade (carpentry, plumbing, et cetera) we learn through the apprenticeship model, and then get cut loose and have to make it on our own out in the world. If you don't have thick skin, you won't last very long.

Bottomline is that it might be harsh, but it prepares you for the realities of being a musician. It's enormous fun, but it's a cutthroat world, and it's highly competitive. You don't want to end up completely bitter and jaded, but you do need to form some callouses.
Not so. I was an apprentice back in the late 60s, in a factory, the old 10,000 hours tradesman. The people were fantastic. You had to grow up fast but I was never more nurtured and helped, by both my tradesman/mentor and the toolroom manager. My abiding memories of the 5 years are of constant laughs and great jokes. The work had to be done but its done better if you enjoy it. Wonderfull times.