Starphonic snare

Can't believe no one has shown you any love on this thread. That's what always happens to our poor Sgt Thump.

Great video, I really liked that you took us through the different tunings. Nice playing too, very clean single strokes. The only thing I didn't like was the odd visual effects.

Sweet shorts too. I can see that the 70's shorts are still all the rage down under.

You play lefty and righty? Which is your preferred set up? Love your touch and feel Andre.

Thanks Gang.

Red; it's probably more interesting to someone looking at buying the snare. The shorts keep me cool and have just the right amount of green.

Bull; it's got a coated G1 on there but as noted there was moongel and control rings used at different tunings.

Larry, it's a horizontal flip of the camera ;)

Cheers, Scorch.

I decided I wanted to compare my ludwig and so I made another video. I accidentally left the bass drum mic unplugged so it's just one overhead. Hopefully the sound is comparable to the starphonic one.

http://youtu.be/fvisHyh9jIg

Last edited:
On the tama video? Drugstore Fanatics - The Bear March
On the ludwig video it's Dig - Bassick insync

I somehow missed this. Great video, man! That snare sounds killer. I'm a fan of aluminum snare drums. I have an Acro 6.5x14" Reissue that is fantastic. But I'm positive that Starphonic you got has a much higher build quality. I probbaly would've gone for that drum had I known more about that line at the time.

I just got a Tama SLP G-Maple snare to have something totally different and I gotta say that I'm more than impressed with the quality. It actually has me looking at other Tama snare offerings and the Starphonics are at the top of the list.

Great score!

Hey sarge, if you're interested in a starphonic don't hesitate. The build quality is better than my black beauty for sure. I've played that g maple snare you bought and I thought it was worth buying, the hardware felt just as good as this.

Jorn: I agree, it's the sweet spot. I've been leaving it at 84-85.

Muckster; I have the reso side tuned to about 84, which is pretty tight.

Back