Wondering how much it would cost...

Matt105

Ok, so I don't have the equipment nor the expertiece to trust myself changing my own heads. There is a local place that has a lot of experience and I trust their work; however, I was wondering about trying Guitar Center. I wasn't sure about cost, so if anyone has any idea of what they would charge to change both sides of three toms.
Thank you

You can check their website, or any other music website to get a pretty close estimate of cost. Each drum head company has different prices for different sizes and types of heads, so the only way to find out what you want is research on the internet, but also a lot of trial and error of trying different heads and seeing what fits you best. Personally, I recommend you not buy 6 drumheads at once if you aren't sure what you want and instead buy one or two (batter and resonance) and tune to your preference and then decide if it's what you want, or if you want to try something else. Do you homework before going into the store and have some idea of what to look for, and what sound you want out of your drums. I hope this helps.

you will only have to pay for the heads there put them on and do a basic tune for free.

NEVER pay anyone to change your drum heads. It is very easy and trial and error is the best teacher. Most anyone here will help answer your questions if you ask. If you're not sure, buy good basic heads to begin with. Upgrade with experience from there. Good luck.

probably should have clarified. I know exactly what drum heads I'm getting, and I'm not new when it comes to changing heads on drums. I just don't like how it sounds when I tune it as much as went a shop does it. They actually tune, free of charge? That actually really cool.

I see what you're saying, but what happens in a couple of days when your drums no longer sound the same as when you brought them home from the shop? Would you know how to get them back to the sound you like? Drum heads go out of tune very easily, especially with new heads and knowing how to keep each head in-tune with itself is critical to the drums sound.

If you feel a bit intimidated with tuning drums, find a drum instructor who can give you advice on what to listen for and what effect each stage of tuning has on the final sound of your drums.

Dennis

GC hires salesmen. Not drummers. Learn how to tune yourself. Check out the Bob Gatzen videos on YouTube and learn. It's not hard. Tuning is part of being a drummer. Be the drummer.

Part of learning any instrument correctly is learning how to tune it. I wouldn't expect a guitarist to take his guitar back to GC to retune it every time...

If you feel a bit intimidated with tuning drums, find a drum instructor who can give you advice on what to listen for and what effect each stage of tuning has on the final sound of your drums.

GC hires salesmen. Not drummers. Learn how to tune yourself. Check out the Bob Gatzen videos on YouTube and learn. It's not hard. Tuning is part of being a drummer. Be the drummer.

Part of learning any instrument correctly is learning how to tune it. I wouldn't expect a guitarist to take his guitar back to GC to retune it every time...

+1 to all these replies, learn how to tune your kit, and if you feel not confident about it get a drummer friend with experience in tuning or a teacher as suggested by audiotec to help/teach you the basics.

Hope this helps.

If you really wanted to flog out some money, you would be better off just buying a drum dial, tensioning everything evenly, and finding out exactly what sound you're after.

You could try doing one tom at a time, that way if you really panic and "mess up" then at least only one of your toms is out of tune rather than the whole kit being out and you panicking/ worrying etc

As mentioned though worth learning how to do it yourself, you can't really go wrong. Watch some videos on how to do it on youtube and just take your time and slowly do each head.

I'm no expert and certainly don't tune to a specific note or spend loads of time making sure each lug is perfectly in tune with the next. As long as I have got both heads on, am happy with the feel and it doesn't sound dissonant or horribly out of tune then I'm pretty happy- then you can finely tweak to get your sound!
Remember that whatever you do can just as easily be undone so there is no need to worry about it

The guys are all correct here mate. You've gotta learn at some stage. Shirking the issue ain't gonna help you in the long run......that's like throwing a sheet over your head and hoping no-one sees you.

Sure pay someone to tune 'em for you.....but make sure you use it as a tuning lesson. Don't just pay them to do it for you.....pay them to teach you. Watch, listen, ask questions, do anything to help you better understand the process. But to say you "don't have the expertise" is a cop out. How else are you ever gonna learn if you don't even have a crack at it?

Like the Nike commercial says .... Just Do It ! What's to be afraid of. Any of your friends play drums. Ask one of them to show you how to tune. I learned how to tune a drum at age 10. It's just part of being a drummer.​

Back