What got you started playing drums?

Re: What made you want to play drums more than anything?

To add to what I said earlier in this thread, When I was 11 I heard a really cool drum solo on the radio. I don't know who it was but it really turned me on. I really wanted to play drums after going to my first rock concert in my early teens. The drummer for the Pat Traverse Band (sp?) did an incredible solo. I knew then the drums were for me.

Was it Tommy Aldridge?

When i was a kid i was bouncing off the walls 24-7 and my parents tried everything to calm me down. Boxing, Hockey, Soccer, nothing stuck. So they got me this little kit from a garage sale and put it in our unheated shed (brrrrrrrrr) -20c. I played every day after school for hours and jammed with my best buddy. Everthing inspires me about drums, as soon as i look at a set i am playing them before i even get a chance to sit down.

The Beatles and Styx. I was brought up listening to both of them and I just wanted to be able to play music. Sticks just felt right to pick up.

i can't really remember, but i know that there wasn't any other instrument that i had been introduced to that i wanted to play. and that it was fun back when i started and it still is fun :D Since the end of summer i've played more and more, not really sure why but I think it's because i've started to build up more speed, play more marching stuff, and that i've joined a band w/ a few of my friends. :)

I always loved rock music. But my parents didn't really like it so I never got any drums even though I thought about it when younger. So fast forward a few years, I was sitting in my friend's car, out of the blue he lights up a doob and put on a mix of Red Hot Chili Peppers and Tool. I'm instantly hooked by the sound and feeling of the drums and decided to get a kit, neighbours be damned! :)

With me it just all started when i just had this kind of feeling about this incredible instrument, but i cant describe it. When i saw a drummer i always amagined how magnificant and stress-killing it should be and to just express yourself and play in front of people or just with friends, or alone, ... So i decided to buy myself a really cheap kit 2 years ago, and i've never stopped drumming since, almost every day, i'm hooked :)

No other instrument ever held my attention the way that drums did. At its root it's such a simple instrument and a simple concept, but when you begin to dig in a little deeper, your options become so complex and innumerous that it just sucks you in and doesn't let go. I certainly haven't had my "fill" yet. Haha... :\ Sorry... I had to do it. ;)

Moe

i felt i wanted to play an instrument but i dint know wich 1
i fort well i wana play sumfin unique.
drums was the answer.
if u wana hear the full story go on my website

www.micromusic.piczo.com

an go on the -x-Drumming-x- page
thanks

xx pinky xx

Last edited:

MEG & DIA. they're my favorite band. their song appeared on mtv discover and download. the drummer nick price motivated me. [ : the first instrument i learned to play was the violin (5 yrs.) then keyboard (2 yrs.) then drums (4 mo.) i played a lil gig just a while ago and i had a lot of fun.

Mr Cozy Powell!!! 'Dance With The Devil'

Re: The "how" thread

Drummer- My dad. He was always into soul music from the 60s and 70s and impressed a lot of that influence on me. John Bonham, Matt Johnson (from the Seattle area - Roadside Monument, Blenderhead), Jesse Sprinkle, William Goldsmith, Clyde Stubblefield, Greg Errico, Don Brewer.
Person- My dad got me started. He played at our church and would let me mess around after he practiced with the band. He started bringing the kit home and I would play along with music on a boom box. I was about 7. I'm 26 now and am as passionate about drumming as ever.
Style- It's tough to say. Music that's a mix of all my drumming influences.
Inspirations- My wife constantly encourages me to keep playing and to continue to learn. Many great bands inspire me, too - Zeppelin, Fugazi, Sunny Day Real Estate, Cursive, Average White Band, Sly and the Family Stone, Motown, James Brown, June of 44, The White Stripes, et cetera...

Re: The "how" thread

Music: Tower of Power, James Brown, Chicago, Smash Mouth, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Streetlight Manifesto.

Drummer: David Garibaldi, Jojo Mayer, Philly Joe, Gene Krupa.

Person: My Grandfather and Uncle

Style: Funk, Latin Rock, Jazz. (and ska)

My grandfather and uncle both are gigging drummers.

reason i started was cos i went to a foofighters gig years ago, think was 1999 in the olympia in dublin, theyd only released the colour and the shape, dave drummed that night, for 3 or 4 songs with pat smear singing was amazing to watch dave drumming, thats when i new i wanted to drum

I don't know why, I always loved drums!

And one day I met a guy that plays, and he asked me to see his band training!
and when i saw him playing, it was like "omg! i need to play it!"

ya i started playing when i saw one of my friends praticing with his band and i was so impressed he had been playing for like 8 years and im already better then him at some things mostly rock songs he does all that heavy metal stuff not my bag.also drums looked fun and they are a very physcial instrument and uyou really get inn to it

Easy.I don't like to work and I had to do something with my life. So I started doing some teaching and it worked!. In the other side. I like all the stage magic, the mysthic, and the love and respect of the people. I have no doubt this is the coolest job in the world.

Back