Instruments you enjoy playing!!!

My girlfriend recently got a proper 5 string banjo, (not a 6 string tuned like a guitar) - I've been digging the challenge of something completely new as I've played guitar for just about as long as I have drums. Have a bass as well, but it really only gets used if I'm tracking ideas, very rare I'll pick it up over my guitar if I get that urge. I can fake piano / synths if I need to.

Ya know, just looking at the thread title above me as I type, I just questioned myself if I enjoyed playing drums... I think at this point it's kinda like asking a brain surgeon if they like doing surgery, they may not like the surgery itself, but I imagine they sure do like saving lives.

I like saving lives.

Trombone when I was 11
Drums when I was 12
Guitar when I was 15
Bass when I was 16
Mandolin and Ukulele at 17 (this year) but I can't play them very well. Yet.

It's hard to say which is my favourite. It really depends on my mood. I only play the trombone in the jazz band(which I play drums in as well) at my school. I play the others when I feel like it. I keep the guitar and bass right beside the computer, so that if I ever hear something that I feel like playing I can just pick it up right then and there and play them. The drums I have to be in the right state of mind to play, and it has to be the right time of day as well (my family wouldn't like it too much if I started pounding at 11 pm). As I said before, it really depends on what I feel like playing at that time of day. If I feel like playing the guitar at some point and I don't, I won't be able to just pick it up and play it in like a half hour. The moment will have passed and I will move on to something else and forget about the guitar or whatever instrument it may be.

Drum Set
Bass
Acoustic and Electric Guitar
Native American Cedar Flute
Native American Large Drum
Native American Hand Drum
Native American Water Drum

Pollyanna, please tell more about this didgeridoo.

I'd like to learn how to play acoustic guitar... but i'd need a guitar for that. And being a musician unfortunately I know the difference between a 50$ guitar from wal mart and a decent one. I don't have the ambition to be any good, just some basic 'campfire chords' as we call them in the Netherlands.
Oh, and bass. I'd like to learn to play bass too.

...I bought a guitar this weekend. Oh my... For those of you who are curious: it's a Samick D1 (Greg Bennett design). Acoustic western, decent entry model. Now I gotta learn how to play it.

We have some talented people here - quite a few multi-instrumentalists.

Just wanted to come in and give an answer, but I think you quite did it unfunkyfooted.
It's about that, the piano to me is a bit like a one-man orchestra. You can play up to 10 notes at a time, a great pianist can make it sound like even more.
The only thing missing is, as you mentioned, you can't really manipulate tone and sound greatly, in fact the sound is always quite the same. Except if you are a Keith Jarrett or a Esbjörn Svensson (RIP) who sometimes plays the strings directly.

I agree, Swiss. Some of the most beautiful passages to my ear have been piano. If I had my time again, that's what I would have played rather than drums.

What kind of drum is this? Is it a frame drum?

GJS

Basically this:

http://site.nativeamericandrums.net/images/arodrum16-1side-back.jpg

Although I have even seen Ludwig 402 and Acrolite snare drum shells with Elk hide streched across in the same manner, too.

and here is a large drum, with proper sticks:

http://live.psu.edu/slnoflash2/userpics/10033/normal_drum.jpg

The hide on these can be anywhere from Elk to Buffalo or Cow rawhide. When 4 or more guys are playing on one, it will shake the earth.

and here is what the water drums look like:

http://www.shannonthunderbird.com/water-drum2.png

I just got a Yamaha bass for $80 to try to learn on the side. I am finding it a little difficult without lessons but I am still learning so much on drums that I cannot justify the $$$ for lessons on a Bass at this time.

I just got a Yamaha bass for $80 to try to learn on the side. I am finding it a little difficult without lessons but I am still learning so much on drums that I cannot justify the $$$ for lessons on a Bass at this time.

Deja vu

Vibraphone was always a favorite of mine when not drumming.

Ok, I'll bite on this old post:

I've had more financial success playing the hammered dulcimer than I ever have playing drums. My videos suck, but my recordings aren't too bad.

Here's a pic of my instrument and a link to some of my music.

Thanks!

https://store.cdbaby.com/Artist/MartinMoore

My Christmas album has been the most popular:
https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/martinmoore3

1918247_115817301779973_2665194_n.jpg

Trumpet is actually main main instrument. I've been doing that since I was 11, and spent 10 years active duty as an Army trumpet player. I'm currently a National Guard trumpet player, and I still play and gig on the side.

In order of enjoyment:

Drums
Electric/Acoustic Guitar
Bass
Keyboards

I also have and am attempting to enjoy:

Clarinet (hard time making actual notes)
Trumpet (It's my stepson's) It makes my lips feel funny.

Played guitar for 30 years.. and suck.. love the drums, would like to play sax or violin.. but my ears sucks (hearing is fine, suck at identifying notes which is a major issue) so i won't even be trying either :(

Hey, Larry. It can be a little tricky but once you get the hang of it you will be on your way.. promise...

Here's a good starter clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XCKBTFthb8

Also - if your horn as leaks in it - trying to play ANY note involving those pads that don't seal well will make a note hard (if not impossible) to play. Other than that, having a proper reed strength helps as does ensuring the assembly is correct (bridge key position). Slight reed placement adjustments on the mouthpiece can have an influence.

It's not impossible but the instrument is very unforgiving and requires patience - to be sure. I'm into it 3 years now of relatively serious studying and there are days I want to throw it against the wall then there are days things just happen naturally. No different than any other musical instrument.

Hey, Larry. It can be a little tricky but once you get the hang of it you will be on your way.. promise...

Here's a good starter clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XCKBTFthb8

Also - if your horn as leaks in it - trying to play ANY note involving those pads that don't seal well will make a note hard (if not impossible) to play. Other than that, having a proper reed strength helps as does ensuring the assembly is correct (bridge key position). Slight reed placement adjustments on the mouthpiece can have an influence.

It's not impossible but the instrument is very unforgiving and requires patience - to be sure. I'm into it 3 years now of relatively serious studying and there are days I want to throw it against the wall then there are days things just happen naturally. No different than any other musical instrument.

Wow thank you so much! I'm using a wimpy reed, a 2. The guy at GC said it's the best one to learn on. Good tip about the leaks, I'll check that. I got a Yamaha student clarinet for like 100 bones. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, which is kind of cool. I'm just trying to make friends with it at this point.

I'm watching the vid you offered up so I have to go :)

In order of enjoyment:

Drums
Electric/Acoustic Guitar
Bass
Keyboards

I also have and am attempting to enjoy:

Trumpet (It's my stepson's) It makes my lips feel funny.

Wow thank you so much! I'm using a wimpy reed, a 2. The guy at GC said it's the best one to learn on. Good tip about the leaks, I'll check that. I got a Yamaha student clarinet for like 100 bones. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, which is kind of cool. I'm just trying to make friends with it at this point.

I'm watching the vid you offered up so I have to go :)

2 isn't necessarily whimpy but it is possible to overblow it and not get anything. It's more common to be biting down preventing it to vibrate which won't generate a tone.

Not that it matters but I began on a 2.5 (now play 3.5). My daughter plays 2.5

There are as many opinions on reeds as their are on tuning drums/heads. My experience is to be sure to wet your reed. They don't like to play "dry" too easily (from my experience).

If you can play an open G (no fingers down at all).. Reed may be OK. Once you start with the keys - leaks can begin to surface quickly.

eta.. That site is really, really good and is highly thought of in the community for that instrument. Not crap at all. ymmv...

2 isn't necessarily whimpy but it is possible to overblow it and not get anything. It's more common to be biting down preventing it to vibrate which won't generate a tone.

Not that it matters but I began on a 2.5 (now play 3.5). My daughter plays 2.5

There are as many opinions on reeds as their are on tuning drums/heads. My experience is to be sure to wet your reed. They don't like to play "dry" too easily (from my experience).

If you can play an open G (no fingers down at all).. Reed may be OK. Once you start with the keys - leaks can begin to surface quickly.

eta.. That site is really, really good and is highly thought of in the community for that instrument. Not crap at all. ymmv...

Yea she explained the embouchure in more detail than anything I've seen. 3 step process. I'll give that a go. I'm still working on making notes. I haven't even thought about the fingering yet.

Back