drum amps

10bigvern

hi all ..this is my first post..and im wanting everyones advice ...
i FINALLY got missen an electronic drum kit,, after wanting to learn to play them forr the last 30yrs ...my question is this ,,,,can the electronic kit be used with a keyboard/synth,,AMP.
i did purchase a stagg amp but it didnt seem to pick up on the ride or crash ,,,no idea why..the kit is the yamaha dtx400k ... wich i have to say im really pleased with .

MANY THANKS VERN

Yes any amp could be used. The drums use the complete range of frequencies and so the keyboard amps or bass amps with tweeters could be used.

Davo

I've got a dtx extreme mk 1 for practice at home. Nowadays I think its rebadged as Explorer , there's no mesh heads, all rubber. Its fine for practice, doubt if I'd gig with it.

I found by experiment with the pad settings menu that I could get cym and tom pads dialled in so that I could play with similar dynamics as on an acoustic kit - when using headphones.

Much harder to do when sending the output to an external amp (powered monitor). The lighter strokes wouldn't give a sound so I had to re-adjust the sensitivity of the pads and that kinda worked - but then light / full strokes all sounded the same.

As its only for practice and the odd MP3 recording (taken from the headphone socket) I never bothered trying to improve the monitor sound.

BTW for stick control stuff I don't use the brain at all, just use it set of rubber pads.

Check out the Simmons DA200S. I have one and love it. Great for practicing or stage monitor use. Not too expensive either and built for electronic drums.

Keyboard amps work .... but maybe not as good as an amp specifically designed for e-drums. I have 3 Roland KC-100 amps (designed for keys) and 3 Roland PM-1 amps (designed for drums). Both types are rated at 60 watts. The KC's work, but don't deliver the lows that the PM's do.​

Back