Show off your TAMA !

I am going to paint them, they will look like they did 30 years ago when I am done.

Then what? Are you going to set them up as one monstrous Portnoyesque kit? I see 18 shells. Was it all one kit 30 years ago? Or did you just happen to have four drum sets in the same color? I'm just curious, that's all.

Well now you’ve opened up a can of worms LOL

Here is the story,

About 2 years about I was surfing eBay as I always do and spotted a 22x14 Superstar bass drum for $75.00. I figured at that price I would buy it and resell it. Later that day I spotted a 15”standard depth matching tom for $75.00 so I figured, at that price I could add another tom and have a cool vintage 4 piece kit. I found a 10” tom a few days later and contact the seller of that tom and asked if he had any more of the kit. He sent me this picture.

superstar.jpg

I ended up making a deal so now I have basically a double base kit with power toms and one 15 standard depth.

Then I started thinking how cool it would be to have a matching set of standard toms, then I would have the option to pick and choose what I wanted to play. I found a 13” tom and grabbed it. Meanwhile I saw a 22x16 shell on eBay for next to nothing, I figured I would use the hardware off of the 22x14 and have both my kicks be deep.

Somewhere along the way I spotted the 6 &8 concert toms on a stand for $150.00

Here is where it gets really interesting. I searched high and low for a 12” standard depth tom, these are very hard to come by I would soon find. In my search I found this kit on Craigslist for 350.00. Notice the view of the snare drum. I could not tell what it was but again I want the 12”

superstar1.jpg

Here is a pick after I got it home, I could not believe my eyes, it is a Rosewood snare, worth more then I paid for the entire kit!

superstar4.jpg

I was short the 14" standard tom, I found one on ebay and it turned out to be a gut I know from the TAMA forum so I grabbed that.

I realized at this point with the exception of a couple of bass drum hoops and some lugs I had one double bass standard depth kit and one power tom double bass kit. I found a guy selling the lugs for the bass drum and ordered a few hoops form Anderson International.

Here is a link to some close ups so you can see the main reason for the restoration

http://www.robertmdrums.com/images/tama_restoration/before/

Here they are again all stripped and ready for the next phase. I think I am going to dowel in the tom mount holes on the bass drums so they will then be virgin as well as dowel in the the spur holes. the spurs on these kits did not really hold the drums from moving to well. Other then that and using RIMS to mount the toms it will look like two a brand new 80s TAMA superstar Super Mahogany kits

stripped1.jpg

It really just took on a life of it’s own, it has taken me 2 years of hunting to get to this point.

I know the real question is why? I never intended for it to get to this point. But before I knew it was so close I figure what the heck, I’ll go all the way now.

I think it is now just because I can and I really enjoy the process, I can’t wait to get in the spray booth and watch them come to life as I lay on the paint!

I understand: passion is not rational. Thanks for the info. Very cool story. Be sure to post pics when they're done.

i just got a tama yesterday and i alredy love the hell out of hit

Tama Rockstar in dark blue

22x18
12" tom
13" tom
16" floor

Just started to collect a new set (well actually quite an old one...) from Tama's Artstar-series with Cordia layers.
Still need the bass drum to go along but it's getting on nice and easy already don't you think. The snare is a killer in size 8x14!
What surprised me was the condition of the drums which is between good+ and mint considering they're some odd 20-25 years old.
My other set is a Pearl DLX Professional in laquered walnut and I like it like hell but with this new Artstar thing I think I can hear some winds of change...

Attachments

• cordia 009 (2).jpg
    cordia 009 (2).jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 5,891
Cool, you see them on ebay but not a lot, best of luck with that. Can't wait to see it completed.

Here are some new pics of my SwingStar.

DSCF6364Medium.jpg

DSCF6368Medium.jpg

DSCF6371Medium.jpg

DSCF6379Medium.jpg

Tama StarClassic Bubinga/Birch hybrid
Stardust Fade
Toms: 8" X 7", 8" X 10", 9" X 12"
Floor Toms: 14" X 16", 16" X 16"
Bass Drum: 18" X 22"

Snares:DW 4X14 Collectors Copper,
Pearl 3.5 X 14 Maple/Brass and 5.5" Steel Free floating,
Also will be adding a Gretsch 120th anniv soon

Pedals: DW5000 Dlb Pedal and HH

Cymbals:
15" K Zildjian Hybrid Crash
17" K Zildjian Hybrid Crash
19" K Zildjian Hybrid Crash
20" K Zildjian Hybrid Ride
14" K Zildjian Hybrid HH
13" K Zildjian Dry HH
8" A custom Splash
10" A Custom Splash
12" A Custom Splash
14"/ 18" Wuhan or Zildjian Hybrid China Types

Percussion:
Factory metal CrossCrasherz 10" and 12"
Treeworks Double row chimes
Pearl Primero 10" and 11" Congas

In the Stick bag:
Vic Firth hot rods
Vic Firth rute 202's
Vic Firth Dave Weckl Signatures
Brushes
Mallets

Attachments

• rigPic2.jpg
    rigPic2.jpg
    425.3 KB · Views: 5,641
  • rigPic6.jpg
    rigPic6.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 5,810
  • rigPic7.jpg
    rigPic7.jpg
    362.6 KB · Views: 5,802
  • rigPic3.jpg
    rigPic3.jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 5,873
  • rigPic4.jpg
    rigPic4.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 5,897
  • rigPic5.jpg
    rigPic5.jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 6,808
My brand new Starclassics B/B.

Attachments

• 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 5,571
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 5,455
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 5,786
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 5,804
I really need a new camera....

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 5,442
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 5,434
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 5,393
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 5,298
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 5,334
I love Tama drums, I only have one but it is one of my pride and joys...I think my SJC kits get jealous of it some times :) This is my tama warlord Masai snare.

Attachments

• snare bottom.JPG
    snare bottom.JPG
    237.4 KB · Views: 5,344
  • Snare side.JPG
    Snare side.JPG
    191.7 KB · Views: 5,352
I know I have no reason to be ashamed of my own tama but some of these kits and drums make me green with jealousy! I love the looks of the warlord snare drums and Earthshaker's kit makes me second-guess my love for big-yet-modest kits such as my own... Anyway, here's the latest pic of my superstars, in a 10-12-16 tom configuration with both rack toms to the left of my ride cymbal. Very comfortable, though it forces me to move the hats a little further to the left than I'd like.

vielbp.jpg

big philly, i like that configuration a lot, its a comfy setup. I play an open playing position (not crossing sticks) and when I used a 5 piece kit I found that to be very comfy. The high hat to the left more never bothered me because i played open, so i was hitting with my left hand anyway.

Nice kit by the way, i love the finish on those superstars. blue fades are killer :)

Back