My BumWrap Journey. Rewrapping 35+ Year old Pearl Exports

I love this. I wish I had my first set, an old Crestline 5-piece. I'd rebuild it. Great job on the wrap. A white reso would definitely look great, 60s-ish.

I've been debating between white or a fiberskyn/calftone, but will probably go white. Like you said I think it'll get more of that 60s vibe that way.

As I posted in another thread, I can see them in other threads like this one: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...d.php?t=158570 . Odd thing is, when I clicked Quote on your reply, and it put all your text inside the two "QUOTE" markers, I also see "
url]
" (without the spaces) as part of your quoted text. When I go back to this reply post and click that link, I get routed to the page, but there is only a tiny white dot in the center of a large black screen.

I'm using Chrome, and I've checked the option in settings to allow photos to show, so I don't know what the issue is. My guess is that I can see uploaded photos but not those hosted elsewhere. I don't see porkpieguy's photo either.

I added the finished product as an attachment above instead of an outside link. So maybe that will work for you.

Beautiful drums. I think the old lugs look fine, from here at least. They'll give it more of a vintage vibe.

(Speaking of chrome, I'm using a chromebook and all the pictures are working here.)

I've been debating between white or a fiberskyn/calftone, but will probably go white. Like you said I think it'll get more of that 60s vibe that way.

A calftone would look great as well. Definitely

I wanted to clean up old hardware, so a friend of mine suggested I use 0000 steel wool and 3-in-1 oil to clean hardware and I had great results. It was easy, and no scrubbing needed. I've got a bunch left over, and if you were close, I'd invite myself over and get it knocked out in about 30 min.

I wanted to clean up old hardware, so a friend of mine suggested I use 0000 steel wool and 3-in-1 oil to clean hardware and I had great results. It was easy, and no scrubbing needed. I've got a bunch left over, and if you were close, I'd invite myself over and get it knocked out in about 30 min.

Thanks for the tip but I it is actually all pretty much all cleaned up.

The problem is a lot of the lugs have some nicks and dings and stuff like from being sat down on concrete when they were loaded and unloaded and being knocked around. It is just fairly noticeable close up because of the way the middle is on the coffin lugs and how it sticks out. Honestly, most anyone, even people just coming up to look at the them without looking super close, you wouldn't notice. Just I've spend so much time taking the lugs on and off, cleaning and what not, that I notice.

Just I've spend so much time taking the lugs on and off, cleaning and what not, that I notice.

I felt the same way about my Pearls whenever I did all of that work. Probably just one of those things that I'd have never noticed if I hadn't worked so intensely on it. Great job BTW! Love that finish.

Nice job. Maybe I'll document my journey if I take the plunge. Which, by the way, is re-wrapping a WMP set with BumWrap's Ludwig Walnut Cortex. The blasphemy...

Nice job. Maybe I'll document my journey if I take the plunge. Which, by the way, is re-wrapping a WMP set with BumWrap's Ludwig Walnut Cortex. The blasphemy...

Are you covering your marble floors with linoleum also you absolute madman?

Rewrap looks great op.

Are you covering your marble floors with linoleum also you absolute madman?

LOL, I know, right? It's only because I'm adding an orphan drum that doesn't match and instead of going thru the headache of removing its wrap and replacing it with proper WMP, BumWrap is an easier fix.

And, I have a thing for cheesy 70s wood paneling...

Well I went to my local GC, and didn't have a whole ton of choice of bass drum reso heads. In fact outside of black, I didn't really have much option at all. I ended up grabbing the only thing that wasn't an obvious bass drum batter head (Powerstroke Pro/SuperKick/Emad type thing), which was a Coated Powerstroke 3. I'll probably end up ordering something else later and using the PS3 as a batter head or who knows maybe I'll like it and keep it.

Attachments

• Fullsetwhitefronthead.JPG
    Fullsetwhitefronthead.JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 130
I added the finished product as an attachment above instead of an outside link. So maybe that will work for you.

I do see it now, but I've been able to see images in the "Attached image" blocks the whole time, and I've also been able to see linked pics also, I think, such as the one in the other thread I mentioned. Dunno. Computers are weird.

The looks of your kit has really improved. Great job. Peace and goodwill.

Back