Gavin Harrison here!

Hi K_HiHats

And then I got to the end. That little fill section is the one thing I struggled with ever since first hearing the song. I had had it with not knowing how to play that fill, so I did something about it and transcribed it myself. I don't think anyone else has done so yet, so I thought I'd share with what I came up with. (My notation is better in this transcription too!) Not exactly sure what time signature you would consider it in, but I just wrote it in 4/4 for convenience.
And just so people can listen and read along at the same time, here's a link to the song as well. I marked it at 2:47, but in the video it starts at 2:49.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjB0hBoidsQ
I hope I've helped anyone else who struggled with this fill too.

Nice work there. I can't remember what time signature I was thinking of when I did it. We never played this song live so luckily I never had to figure it out.

Hi Dustondrums

Question about your mixing console. On a photo from your clinics i can see that you use 4 channels of your mixing console: 1st and 2nd channel - for playalong track, 3rd channel - for click track (if i got it right). But what is the 4th channel for?

Actually I use 6 inputs.
1st channel is the bass drum mic (split with a 'Y' cable so it goes to my mixer AND the sound engineer). Channel two is the snare drum top mic (again split with a 'Y' cable).
Channels 3&4 are FROM the sound engineer who sends me a stereo mix of my toms via his desk. This way I can EQ any of the channels the I want them to sound in my earphones plus I can add reverb to my snare and toms on my little mixer (Yamaha MG82CX). I find it MUCH nicer to play with a bit of reverb. Also I need the bass drum to sound quite 'clicky' so I can hear the attack clearly.
Channels 5&6 are coming from 2 outputs of my audio interface (that's connected to my Macbook Air running Logic Pro). It's a stereo mix of the backing track plus a click that is pre-mixed inside Logic Pro. There are 2 other independent outputs from the audio interface that get sent to the sound engineer which obviously have no click track in them.

This is a system that I devised just for drum clinics. I can take the mixer in my baggage with me and have reasonable control of the sound in my earphones without having to depend on a monitor engineer (often there is no monitor engineer at drum clinics). If I have the chance (baggage permitting) I would also use my Porter & Davies Gigster for the tactile monitoring of the bass drum through the drum stool seat.

cheers
Gavin

I would also use my Porter & Davies Gigster for the tactile monitoring of the bass drum through the drum stool seat.

cheers
Gavin
Just an offshoot question Gavin - have you ever tried monitoring bass guitar through your tactile monitoring seat? I've tried it a few times, even when sufficient audible monitoring has been available. It's surprisingly effective :)

Gavin, what equipment do you usually take with you to your clinics (except mixing console, Macbook, Porter & Davies and drumsticks) - cymbals/pedals/stands (or clamps) etc. ?

Hey gavin,

Have you ever had a chance to play a Sonor Ascent drum kit? I'm in the market for a new kit, Right now I have a Pearl Vision Birch kit I got from The Drum Pad in Chicago. So, I've wanted a Sonor kit ever since I saw the prolite kit introduction, though the price tag has me at a pause. However, hearing the Ascent series online and reading what people have said about it has got me interested. The question I'm asking myself is, save a wait a few months, or get an Ascent with an extra floor tom next month. It will be more for live playing then recording, though I do hope that'll change later next year.

And once again, thank you for being on this forum. You and 05ric have been keeping me company lately on my drives around town.

Gavin,

Your wikipedia page sent me racing to YouTube to hear your work on 'Belighted' by IamtheMorning. I was just wondering, as an average estimate, how long does it take to record your parts and send them back out to be mixed/mastered with the rest of the band? I can only imagine the 100's of variables that need to be factored in (personal free time, recording time, putting aside other projects etc).

Great work by the way, I always find inspiration in just about everything I hear you play. No matter how discouragingly difficult it may be for me to even air-drum it.

Hi keep it simple

have you ever tried monitoring bass guitar through your tactile monitoring seat? I've tried it a few times, even when sufficient audible monitoring has been available. It's surprisingly effective :)

I can't say i have. I'll bear it mind though. Thanks.

Hi Dustondrums

what equipment do you usually take with you to your clinics (except mixing console, Macbook, Porter & Davies and drumsticks) - cymbals/pedals/stands (or clamps) etc. ?

I usually can't take cymbals, pedals or stands with me. As nearly all the clinics I do involve a flight at some point - it comes down to the cost of excess baggage in the end.

Hi Venimal

Have you ever had a chance to play a Sonor Ascent drum kit? I'm in the market for a new kit, Right now I have a Pearl Vision Birch kit I got from The Drum Pad in Chicago. So, I've wanted a Sonor kit ever since I saw the prolite kit introduction, though the price tag has me at a pause. However, hearing the Ascent series online and reading what people have said about it has got me interested. The question I'm asking myself is, save a wait a few months, or get an Ascent with an extra floor tom next month. It will be more for live playing then recording, though I do hope that'll change later next year.

I played one the other day and it was very good. Not in the class of the "Made In Germany" drums though. If budget is a factor maybe consider finding a second hand DeLight (which are almost exactly the same as the ProLite range).

Hi euphoric_anomaly

Your wikipedia page sent me racing to YouTube to hear your work on 'Belighted' by IamtheMorning. I was just wondering, as an average estimate, how long does it take to record your parts and send them back out to be mixed/mastered with the rest of the band? I can only imagine the 100's of variables that need to be factored in (personal free time, recording time, putting aside other projects etc).

It depends. If the tracks I have to play to are all in good shape I can do a song (or even two) a day and send back a mix of the drums. Sometimes the songs are easy 4 minute pop songs and other times they are 17 minute 'prog' epics. 90% of folks just want me to do whatever I feel is right for the music. Some folks already have a quite accurate idea of what they want on the song. Sometimes they're on the other side of the world so it can take time for them to answer and respond.

Cheers
Gavin

Hi!

I am learning Bonnie The Cat at school right now from your Rhythmic Composition book. Is it possible to get a version of the song without the drums? This would be very helpful and fun to play along to.
Thanks!

Hello Gavin!
Could you reveal which kind of shells you use on your SQ2? Is it Maple, Birch...? Vintage, Medium or Heavy? Or do you use different shells for big/small toms and BD? (I couldn't find it on your equipment-page)
I wish you great x-mas!
Cheers, Flo

Hi keep it simple

Hi Venimal

I played one the other day and it was very good. Not in the class of the "Made In Germany" drums though. If budget is a factor maybe consider finding a second hand DeLight (which are almost exactly the same as the ProLite range).

Gavin

Thanks for the advice. I do have lots of time to think about it. Only thing that has me down on the Prolite kits now is, the finishes don't really grab me at the moment. The Tribal Red is an exception, but they don't seem to sell it anymore. Though, the creme white does look really nice, as well as the ebony stripes. Though, and I did put this idea in my head... Ascent shell pack with a prolite snare, or protean snare. I'll be honest, you do a really good job in selling that one on the videos I've seen on it. Not to mention the rave reviews.

Also, while searching youtube videos on Sonor kits, I found this...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C7U0nfT8w4A

You look VERY tiny in this video! Really cool to see!

Cheers! And thanks again! Next time you come to the US, if you swing by Houston, San Antonio or Austin for a clinic or a show, I'll be there!

Hello Gavin,

Do you currently, or have you ever waxed the bearing edges of your Sonor drums? If so, why did you start and what has been your conclusion? If not, why haven't you and/or what do you think of applying wax to the bearing edges?

Thanks!

Hi Florsky

Could you reveal which kind of shells you use on your SQ2? Is it Maple, Birch...? Vintage, Medium or Heavy? Or do you use different shells for big/small toms and BD? (I couldn't find it on your equipment-page)

On my most recent 'blue tribal' set they're all maple 'medium' shells except the bass drum which is 'heavy' shell. My previous set had 'thin' rack toms - 'medium' floor toms and 'heavy bass drum. I can't honestly hear much difference. I've played quite a few of the 'vintage' shells too (which are the thinest of all the Sonor shells) and they sounded great too. I still have an older Designer kit that I really like the sound of - so that's why I wanted to move back to 'medium' shells.

Hi formula428

Do you currently, or have you ever waxed the bearing edges of your Sonor drums? If so, why did you start and what has been your conclusion? If not, why haven't you and/or what do you think of applying wax to the bearing edges?

I don't currently apply wax to any of the bearing edges. I did go through a period of applying wax to the snare drum edge - but I can't tell you that I heard or felt a noticable difference.

Cheers and happy New Year to you all !!!!
Gavin

Hi Gavin
This is more of a AH HA! moment being shared rather than a direct question.
I was listening to 5/4 from iamthemorning and noticed something that caught my ear. Between 2:54-3:33, I noticed that you played the downbeat (snare) starting on beat 4. Next bar it was on 5, then a bar without snare followed by the next bar starting with the snare on the 1 and so forth. I counted out 16 bars.

Thanks for the brain exercise. Belighted is an amazing album by the way, can't stop listening to it.

Eric

Last edited:
Hi euphoric_anomaly

I was listening to 5/4 from iamthemorning and noticed something that caught my ear. Between 2:54-3:33, I noticed that you played the downbeat (snare) starting on beat 4. Next bar it was on 5, then a bar without snare followed by the next bar starting with the snare on the 1 and so forth. I counted out 16 bars.

Despite the song being called "5/4" it's not all in 5/4 time signature. The passage that you picked out is actually in 6. No wonder it felt strange to you if you were counting 5 throughout it!! I have in past (and probably will in the future) mis-heard something and felt the rhythm in a certain way. Especially some downbeats have illuded me on certain recordings. Such is the perception of rhythm (and what led to my study of the Rhythmic Illusion).

cheers
Gavin

Marco Minnemann posted that he will not be performing with Steven Wilson during the US/Canada leg of the Hand. Cannot. Erase. tour. Will you be performing with Steven?

Hey Gavin! Hope all is well. Firstly, I just wanted to thank you for being my biggest musical inspiration and devoting your time here to answer all these questions. Just a quick question, what is your favourite pre In Absentia PT song to play?

Thanks for your time,

Quinn

Last edited:
Hey Gavin! Hope all is well. Firstly, I just wanted to thank you for being my biggest musical inspiration and devoting your time here to answer all these questions. Just a quick question, what is your favourite pre In Absentia PT song to play?

Thanks for your time,

Quinn

Actually, to hopscotch on LBS's question: Out of all the stuff you've been doing the last few years (05Ric, PT, King Crimson), what have been your favorite songs? Any old gems pop up that you "rediscovered" ("Oh man, I forgot how fun that song is to play" or "Wow, that has that tricky bit I'd forgotten")?

Back