Which zoom recorder do you prefer?

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
I was going to get the zoom Q3, but I would prefer to have better sound than video ( as I already have something for video anyway. Which one has the best overall sound regardles of video? Thanks

I was going to get the zoom Q3, but I would prefer to have better sound than video ( as I already have something for video anyway. Which one has the best overall sound regardles of video? Thanks

The Q3 is loaded with the same condensers they use in the ZOOM H4

Why would you spend $300 to just get audio when you can have (the same) high quality audio and HD video for the same price?

Gotta admit, I must be a Zoom fanatic. I got myself the R16 multi-track, and I already own the H2. And I just sold my Q3 video recorder. But the Q3HD I read is much better. In addition to the 1080 video (HD), it also has a LINE IN jack which the original Q3 didn't have, so you couldn't plug it into the output of a mixing board and record stuff (I do this with my H2 all the time). I need to ad the Q3HD to my Zoom collection. They're handy little tools, and they all run off of AA batteries! Love that, because those are basically free for me, although I do plug in when I don't have to be mobile.

Great, thanks guys. I need to send off audio tracks away to universities for the summer and need good quality. Looks like I'll be getting the zoom q3! Apart from the fact that fed x found me and I have to play an over due €200 for the import of my drum kit a few months ago. Looks like I'll have to wait for the zoom!

I saw the HD version when I went to the shop yesterday. It just happened to be sitting there haha!

They had it for $249

Good price?

I'd probably only need a lower line one for what I'd need to use it for, but....you know... :)

Here's the official B&H link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/736707-REG/Zoom_Q3HD_Q3HD_Handy_Video_Recorder.html

What's even more intriguing is that it has a LINE IN jack like their audio recorders. So I'll bet it'll handle a line feed from a mixing console too!

However, I may not get one yet as I'm debating what I actually "need" to buy. I'm debating about a second monitor for my computer rig since I do alot of Photoshop work too. Damn...

Here's the official B&H link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/736707-REG/Zoom_Q3HD_Q3HD_Handy_Video_Recorder.html

What's even more intriguing is that it has a LINE IN jack like their audio recorders. So I'll bet it'll handle a line feed from a mixing console too!

However, I may not get one yet as I'm debating what I actually "need" to buy. I'm debating about a second monitor for my computer rig since I do alot of Photoshop work too. Damn...
Ok, this has got my interest. Has anyone got the Q3HD? I have the standard Q3, it's a great tool, but the video is not good, & it's missing a line in jack. Does anyone know if you can run a board into the new HD through that line in? If so, I'll be getting one real soon.

Ok, this has got my interest. Has anyone got the Q3HD? I have the standard Q3, it's a great tool, but the video is not good, & it's missing a line in jack. Does anyone know if you can run a board into the new HD through that line in? If so, I'll be getting one real soon.

Here's another link for the Q3HD. Say's it has 4X digital zoom.

For 50 bucks more to have HD video...seems like a no brainer if you need/use something like this.

http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=2062

The shop had it for $249, so I guess it's a good price--better than Amazon.

If your going to be using your mixer for the sound anyway wouldn't it be better to just buy a good camcorder, with a Line-In and much better zoom (x25) and HD video for about the same price?

I was thinking about buying a Zoom Q3HD, their really nice, but I don't see myself taking advantage of the Zoom mics for audio and when not used for video'ing drum sessions it will be the household video camera and thats when all the other features of a good camcorder will be available.

That's the thing, you're not always going to be using the board for your audio feed and that's where the Q3 makes sense.

As SAMSON says "Sound makes the movie" and they're actually right when you think about it.

If you can find a new Q3 HD for $250 that's a price mistake, buy it.

The standard Q3 (blue) is $250

If your going to be using your mixer for the sound anyway wouldn't it be better to just buy a good camcorder, with a Line-In and much better zoom (x25) and HD video for about the same price?

I was thinking about buying a Zoom Q3HD, their really nice, but I don't see myself taking advantage of the Zoom mics for audio and when not used for video'ing drum sessions it will be the household video camera and thats when all the other features of a good camcorder will be available.

That's the issue with the under $1000 camcorder crowd. You may have a MIC/LINE IN jack, but they're no where as good as the pro camcorders with the XLR inputs on them, and really, when coming off of a mixer, that's what it really needs to be. So having a Q3 makes more sense. Unless, of course, you do like me and record video and audio separately to begin with. But that's not always convenient ;)

That's something I didn't know. I just thought a 'Mic/Line In' jack on the camcorder would suffice but your saying to really get quality sound from the mixer I would actually need a much more expensive camcorder with XLR inputs. I really like the sound from my mixer as opposed to live.

I'm new to this but I assume there are a few ways to do this.

1) Use something like the Q3 and record both sound and video at the same time. Could you then run that video through software to EQ it?

2) Record the audio and video separately and use software to sync them. Can the audio be EQ'd during that time?

Sorry for the hijack OP.

Back