Jonathan's Sonor Kit + Gavin Harrison Snare!

Pass.of.E.r.a.

Gold Member
Gavin Harrison Signature Snare!! ...oh and a Sonor Birch Kit

So it's been a while since I contributed anything to this section of the forum (not that I don't browse through it allll day) And I thought since my Sonor Kit doesn't have it's own thread, why not start one!!

Nothing really special about this kit, but it makes for an excellent gig kit so I don't have to take my Tama Warlords out of my basement! Right now I have it set up double bass mode with the 18x16" completely open and tuned to be very resonant. The finish on this kit has an outstanding depth to it, and later today I'll take some pictures of a few drums in sunlight to try and show that off. To hear it in action go here or here

Specs
Sonor Force 2007 Birch (Now discontinued)
Dark Green Burst - Chrome Hardware

-12x5" Sonor Limited Edition Gavin Harrison Signature 6 Ply Maple Snare
-18x16" Bass Drum
-22x20" Bass Drum (not a fan of the size)
-14x6" Snare
-12x8" Tom
-16x16" Floor Tom

Cymbals
-Zildjian K Hats 13"
-Zildjian A Custom Medium Ride 20"
-Wuhan Chinese 19"
-Zildjian Oriental Crash of Doom 20"
-Zildjian A Sweet Ride 21" with custom sizzle chain (used as both crash and ride)

Sticks
-Vic Firth Thomas Lang Signature sticks (main)
-Vic Firth 3A Sticks (alt.)
-Vic Firth Swizzle Stick/Mallets
-Pro Mark Wire Brushes
-Pro Mark Hot Rods

-Jonathan

EDIT: Also, I just placed an order for a custom resonant head for the 22" with a band logo on it. Photos shall be up as soon as it arrives

Attachments

• Misc. 2010-11 136 (1024x755).jpg
    Misc. 2010-11 136 (1024x755).jpg
    416.5 KB · Views: 1,964
  • Misc. 2010-11 140 (1024x768).jpg
    Misc. 2010-11 140 (1024x768).jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 1,398
  • Misc. 2010-11 139 (1024x768).jpg
    Misc. 2010-11 139 (1024x768).jpg
    327.4 KB · Views: 1,491
  • Misc. 2010-11 138 (1024x768).jpg
    Misc. 2010-11 138 (1024x768).jpg
    325.1 KB · Views: 1,430
  • Misc. 2010-11 137 (1024x768).jpg
    Misc. 2010-11 137 (1024x768).jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 1,446
  • Misc. 2010-11 134 (1024x768).jpg
    Misc. 2010-11 134 (1024x768).jpg
    419.3 KB · Views: 1,446
  • Misc. 2010-11 130 (1024x768).jpg
    Misc. 2010-11 130 (1024x768).jpg
    408.1 KB · Views: 1,437
  • Misc. 2010-11 133 (1024x768).jpg
    Misc. 2010-11 133 (1024x768).jpg
    467 KB · Views: 1,536
  • Misc. 2010-11 132 (1024x768).jpg
    Misc. 2010-11 132 (1024x768).jpg
    463.2 KB · Views: 1,524
  • Misc. 2010-11 135 (1024x768).jpg
    Misc. 2010-11 135 (1024x768).jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 1,421
Last edited:
Very sweet Jonathan. Loving the two different bass drums vibe. I used to play two different sizes (before double pedals existed, ahem), so much more flavoursome than two of the same size, or even worse, a double pedal :) I was confused by your need for the double pedal at first, but now I've read your post again, I can appreciate you're using the little chap for a different feel. I suppose you must be one of those smart asses who can do polyrhythmic left foot clave style ostinatos, lol!

Any videos or clips of you playing this setup?

As much as I feel like I would want another tom, I really REALLY like this setup and would love to sit behind something like this... although I'm sort of surprised that you are using the smaller snare (nice as it is) as the main snare. All for the music, I'm sure though.

Looks like a blast to play!

Very sweet Jonathan. Loving the two different bass drums vibe. I used to play two different sizes (before double pedals existed, ahem), so much more flavoursome than two of the same size, or even worse, a double pedal :) I was confused by your need for the double pedal at first, but now I've read your post again, I can appreciate you're using the little chap for a different feel. I suppose you must be one of those smart asses who can do polyrhythmic left foot clave style ostinatos, lol!

Any videos or clips of you playing this setup?
Thanks Andy! It's not quite in the same league as your Gurus. Sadly, no I can't do any of ostinato work with my left, but I'm slowly trying to become more ambidextrous, and the 18" is really improving my left foot. Right now I don't have any videos with this setup, but I'll have my camera back on monday, so I'll record something then (although it'll just be camera audio). Thanks again!

As much as I feel like I would want another tom, I really REALLY like this setup and would love to sit behind something like this... although I'm sort of surprised that you are using the smaller snare (nice as it is) as the main snare. All for the music, I'm sure though.

Looks like a blast to play!

Yes, I'm on the hunt for a14x14" Floor Tom (since they never offered 18" FT) and possibly another 18" BD to permanently mount as a gong tom. Thanks!

The snare doesn't look intimidating, but it's one mutha of a drum! within 10 minutes of tinkering around with the tuning, I found it's sweet spot, and DAMN, this drum can sing.

-Jonathan

Sweet Jesus!! What happened to that poor cymbal??!!! Did you invite Travis Barker to come play your kit?? haha. Lol.

Now seriously, that setup looks awesome. And with those sizes, it's the live image of versatility.

Congrats man. looks great and fun to play. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers!

Cool kit! Pretty similar to my kit's sizes (22x16, 18x14, 16x16, 14x14, 12x8). Personally, I'd just drop the 22" altogether. I don't even like my 22x16 that much--too deep! Gimme a 22x14. :)

Although, alternating kicks sounds really good IMO. My old kit was 22x18 and 20x16, and I just hooked a single pedal up to each. Lots of fun!

It's a little odd knowing this is your kit- there's not enough stuff, man!

Beautiful finish, I love fades. I've never really seen a large interval between the two bass drums used, so if you could show that in any videos that you put up I'd appreciate it.

Great kit, hope you enjoy it!

Wow. Possible one of the best looking kits I've ever seen. Seriously, amazing. Not a huge fan if the main ride choice but to each their own. But the rest of the kit; WOW! I LOVE that Gavin Harrison snare too! How would you describe it's sound? Also where from and how much did it set you back if you don't mind? Good lord. Get a 14x14 and white reso for the 18" and then expect it to be gone. Muahahahahaha...

I am jealous of the snare, would have bought it myself if it wasn't so damned expensive!
Just curious, how do you tune it? I have a 12" Musashi and tune it medium/high on the top and low on the bottom, with the snares tightened very tight. I also cut down a puresound to just 4 snare wires. I think it resembles Gavin Harrison's snare sound very well, while also having it's own unique sound (the oak wood gives it some great low overtones).

Sweet Jesus!! What happened to that poor cymbal??!!! Did you invite Travis Barker to come play your kit?? haha. Lol.

Now seriously, that setup looks awesome. And with those sizes, it's the live image of versatility.
Hmmm... I'm told that's the way Zildjian makes them... lol
Congrats man. looks great and fun to play. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers!
Thank-you! That's certainly what I was going for with this set up, and one thing that I forgot to mention too, is that if I tighten down the CoD, it dries it up enough to the point where it sounds like a beautiful jazz ride!

Wow. Possible one of the best looking kits I've ever seen. Seriously, amazing. Not a huge fan if the main ride choice but to each their own. But the rest of the kit; WOW! I LOVE that Gavin Harrison snare too! How would you describe it's sound? Also where from and how much did it set you back if you don't mind? Good lord. Get a 14x14 and white reso for the 18" and then expect it to be gone. Muahahahahaha...
Thanks Mitch! This ride in particular is actually quite spectacular in the sense that it takes a lot of punishment to overload. It has such a nice blend between wash and ping and the bell cuts through any music/volume like butter.
As for the snare, I have the bottom head tuned quite high, and the top head tuned medium, which gives it a wonderful smack, and gives me very lively ghost notes (fitting for a Gavin Harrison snare). Heh, price? it was around $700 CAD. Yes! I'm on the hunt for a 14x14" Floor, but since Sonor discontinued this line (damn you!!) it has been prooving diffucult unless I want to by another full kit.
As for the BD heads, I have some custom ones all picked out and ready to order so updates will hopefully be posted withing the next month.

I am jealous of the snare, would have bought it myself if it wasn't so damned expensive!
Just curious, how do you tune it? I have a 12" Musashi and tune it medium/high on the top and low on the bottom, with the snares tightened very tight. I also cut down a puresound to just 4 snare wires. I think it resembles Gavin Harrison's snare sound very well, while also having it's own unique sound (the oak wood gives it some great low overtones).
I have mine tuned very close to this but not quite as dead sounding. Wow 4 wires!! how does that not just sound like a tom buzzing the snare wires slightly!?! Cool, I've always been interested in how oak drums sound. Thanks again!

Alright so that video I promised yesterday, is yet to be filmed due to my friend not returning my camera. Hopefully he'll remember it tonight so I can have something up by tomorrow.

-Jonathan

Sorry Jonathan, been a touch busy & your video post passed me by.

Anyhow, yes, of course, a camera mic is never going to get close to the sound you're getting. Taking that into account, I thought the kit sounded pretty good. The snare especially was lovely, & I also liked the different sounding bass drums vibe. Loving your opening groove too. As always, you have a great touch.

Shame about the hair though, a kind of personal signature.

thanks Andy!! Yup, as sad as it was, it was time for the hair to go. Lol

Here's an close up shot of the new reso head with my band's logo on it. Also, I have a different setup going on so now (single bass + mounted gong bass drum). If anyone's interested I can snap a few more photos

-Jonathan

Attachments

• October 2011 009 (1024x768).jpg
    October 2011 009 (1024x768).jpg
    464.5 KB · Views: 958
Yeahhhhh Sonor kit sound great. And Gavin snare is amazing.

So last night I snapped some more shots of my alternate setup for your viewing pleasure! This setup features the 18" bass drum as a gong tom, and boy, does this baby have bite!!! Such wonderful attack and low end, it's hard to not just do every fill on this drum alone.

-Jonathan

Attachments

• October 2 019 Resized.jpg
    October 2 019 Resized.jpg
    581.3 KB · Views: 877
  • October 2 022 resized.jpg
    October 2 022 resized.jpg
    556.8 KB · Views: 1,046
  • October 2 024 Resized.jpg
    October 2 024 Resized.jpg
    552.5 KB · Views: 868
  • October 2 025 Resized.jpg
    October 2 025 Resized.jpg
    461.8 KB · Views: 907
  • October 2 028 Resized.jpg
    October 2 028 Resized.jpg
    579.2 KB · Views: 881
Well since you added the gong drum in I will say very nice. :)

Back