Experiment

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
I can't find a round nylon tipped stick I like. There's not a lot to pick from in VF. The sticks I like don't come in nylon tips (American Sound 5A&B, wood tips only) I want to experiment dipping just the tips of my sticks in something that will dry hard and won't crack apart. All this so I get more life from the tips obviously.

Any suggestions? It has to be a fairly thin and tough coating. Maybe I'll melt some nylon and giver er a go....I've heard of clear nail polish, but that seems a little too thin and lightweight to me. I'm thinking like melted plastic of some kind. Maybe a clear 2 part epoxy gel if it dries hard enough. Has anyone done this?

Interesting idea. Try boat resin. Look at West System Epoxy Resin as a starting point. It is pretty hard and durable when it dries.

Is there a reason not to look elsewhere from VF? They discontinued my favorite stick, the SD4N nylon tipped maple, last year. I found a good replacement from Vater.

Why not give Pro Mark a look? With their new stick designs, there's a good chance you might be able to find what you're looking for.

Otherwise, I have no suggestions as to what might be a good material to try this with, but I think it's a damn cool idea. I'd love to see how it turns out, if you do find something suitable!

We use this stuff at work, to mount and polish rock samples. Its very hard when cured.
epoxy and hardener. cure time depends on time and temperature, a day or two at room T. They have a 'trial kit' for $18

http://burnhampetrographics.com/petropoxy/ppp.php

Not sure how you get/fashion a symmetric bead but you can maybe dip your stick tip and let it hang dry. ok...that was an awkward statement , lol

I have been thinking about this also, and have considered using heat shrink wrap. My only concerns is that it will effect the balance of the stick and sound weird. It is really easy to use, though, and can be cut and trimmed once shrunk.

Why not give Pro Mark a look? With their new stick designs, there's a good chance you might be able to find what you're looking for.

Otherwise, I have no suggestions as to what might be a good material to try this with, but I think it's a damn cool idea. I'd love to see how it turns out, if you do find something suitable!

Pro Marks are usually too forward weighted for me but in all fairness I haven't checked them out in years.

We use this stuff at work, to mount and polish rock samples. Its very hard when cured.
epoxy and hardener. cure time depends on time and temperature, a day or two at room T. They have a 'trial kit' for $18

Not sure how you get/fashion a symmetric bead but you can maybe dip your stick tip and let it hang dry. ok...that was an awkward statement , lol

Good tip, I'll look into it.

I have been thinking about this also, and have considered using heat shrink wrap. My only concerns is that it will effect the balance of the stick and sound weird. It is really easy to use, though, and can be cut and trimmed once shrunk.

Shrink wrap doesn't seem like it would be hard enough, but that wouldn't stop me from trying.

When I was a kid, one of my older brothers spilled some epoxy on our driveway. It was there for years (run over by cars multiple times daily). When I got a little older, I thought I'd try to remove it. I wound up gouging the concrete. Epoxy is pretty strong stuff.

Try the Vater Fusion stick. I love the ProMark select balance sticks.

Peace and goodwill.

Uncle Larry, what about some of that "Plasti-dip" stuff? I've used it on tool handles before, and it works well, but it may be too soft and rubbery for the tip.

I would be afraid that it would leave unwanted residue on my cymbals.

Uncle Larry, what about some of that "Plasti-dip" stuff? I've used it on tool handles before, and it works well, but it may be too soft and rubbery for the tip.

Yea, no, too soft. They don't even make good tool handles. Crap product. I'm leaning towards epoxy. I tried a loc-tite product on a stick...too soft. It's gotta be hard and chip proof. Or chop proof, whatever lol.

Back