Better than the original

Just listening to the Les Claypool version. I can definitely see what you prefer in it - there's definitely a better drum sound.

On the other hand, I really don't like the vocals and I there's some odd mix problems in the low-end with the bass interfering with the bass drum. The guitar sound is definitely powerful but dare I say it, I prefer Roger Water's bass tone and utter desolation with his vocal performance.

I'm not sure the song was ever going to work with a 'lavish' sound - snare drum aside.

Great cover though and I still think that if a band released 'Animals' as new music today then it would still be utterly, utterly astonishing. It's my favourite Pink Floyd album just because it's so goddam nihilistic, desolate and nasty.

I think this is probably the best live version of 'Dogs':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIsS9L9nqvY

Absolutely bloody mindblowing, even though some of the stage wear is questionable and the backing singers don't work for me. Jon Carin rules.

I always thought that Otis Reddings version of "change is gonna come" was much better than Sam Cookes version ...recorded only 2 years after the original

I also thought Joe Cockers version of "with a little help from my friends " was better than The Beatles version....recorded only one year later I believe

and this may be sacrilege.....but I think the Fugees version of "killing me softly" is better than the Roberta Flack version....recorded 23 years later

and of course the Tony Clifton version of "the star spangled banner" is better than any version ever.......................Im obviously kidding about this one.....but Kaufman was a genius
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkcekFEB4SI

For the most part, but Dylan's own versions of the following are probably best (though I can't say I've heard many/any covers of them..)

The Times Are a Changin'

Rainy Day Women 12 & 65 (or whatever #s)

the video of the song with the person and the flashcards w/lyrics on them..whatever song that was (yeah my Dylan knowledge is bad)

i'll agree with those. and add Tangled Up In Blue, Mozambique, Hard Rain, Slow Train Coming, Jokerman, Has Anybody seen My Love...i guess it's the whichever version you heard first principal. in which people usually like the version they heard first. same for live versions by the same artist. which ever you heard first or are most familiar with..

same with one's favorite Doctor.

Vanilla Fudge's version of "You Keep Me Hanging On", way better than The Supremes'.

I wanna do a metal version of Britany Spears song "Hit Me Baby One More Time".

I really liked the Les Claypool's version of Dogs too. Freakin' amazing.

Here's one... Louie Louie by the Kingsmen (?), that song was covered a few times before they did it.

I like Melvins cover of "blind" originally done by Kiss.
I like Ministry version of "Lay Lady Lay" better than original.

Ofcourse Jimi version of Watchtower.

System of a Down's cover of the Zelda theme, or any Wu Tang song done by Rage against the Machine.

Just listening to the Les Claypool version. I can definitely see what you prefer in it - there's definitely a better drum sound.

On the other hand, I really don't like the vocals and I there's some odd mix problems in the low-end with the bass interfering with the bass drum. The guitar sound is definitely powerful but dare I say it, I prefer Roger Water's bass tone and utter desolation with his vocal performance.

I'm not sure the song was ever going to work with a 'lavish' sound - snare drum aside.

Great cover though and I still think that if a band released 'Animals' as new music today then it would still be utterly, utterly astonishing. It's my favourite Pink Floyd album just because it's so goddam nihilistic, desolate and nasty.

I think this is probably the best live version of 'Dogs':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIsS9L9nqvY

Absolutely bloody mindblowing, even though some of the stage wear is questionable and the backing singers don't work for me. Jon Carin rules.

i very much want to see the rest of this clip.

I'm sorry mate :( I don't want to offend your sensibilities, but Dylan's voice just grates with me. I get his lyrical genius, I completely acknowledge his part in musical history, I even like some of his melody/arrangement/songs in general, but his singing :(

+1 and for that reason Dylan is a great artist to cover. Like I said, covering someone like Freddie Mercury and improving it ... not possible ... that music needs his crazy campy virtuoso shtick and no one does crazy campy virtuoso shtick like Freddie. You can't win.

I don't know a lot of Dylan music because his lyrical density is incompatible with my concentration span and, if you miss the plot lyrically there's not enough going on musically to keep me interested. On the other hand Hurricane was great - you'd be brave to cover it. Not sure anyone could spit out Ballad of a Thin Man with Bawb's venom either.

At the risk of opening another can of worms, I won't say this version of Twist and Shout is better than any other - but it is hilarious.

What a riot - great shred! And to think polite society was horrified at the Fab Four ... imagine the apoplexy they'd be in if they'd actually sounded like that ...

The Beatles connection reminded me of The Flying Lizards's cover of Money. Maybe not better - I like the versions about the same.

any Wu Tang song done by Rage against the Machine.

I love Rage......but there is no way in hell they could make any Wu song better than it already is

I understand its a matter of opinion......but that is just bananas to me

What a riot - great shred! And to think polite society was horrified at the Fab Four ... imagine the apoplexy they'd be in if they'd actually sounded like that ...

The Beatles connection reminded me of The Flying Lizards's cover of Money. Maybe not better - I like the versions about the same.

I prefer "What a Wonderful World". Louie Armstrong's death metal faces sync up much better with the audio ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6z1wA20hrA

i think primus' version of making plans for nigel is better than the original xtc version.

Interesting. I haven’t heard that cover.

For years I’ve wanted to do my own cover of Making Plans for Nigel, but every time I hear the original I think “man, they freaking nailed it! I have no better ideas for that song.”

I can’t believe nobody’s mentioned the greatest cover of all time:

Dolly Parton doing Led Zeppelin’s Stairway to Heaven.

No, I’m not making it up. It’s on her “Halos and Horns” album.

Back