Clyde Stubblefield

Fishbones

Silver Member
Wow......really? No thread?? Best we get this one underway then.

Yep.....one cool cat, Fish. The 'funky drummer' has some groove and then some. I'm told he's the most sampled musician of all time (as opposed to just the most sampled drummer) - thanks to the sounds he created on Funky Drummer. Funny to think of the sheer amount of people that would have heard him over the years and had no idea who they were listening to.

Can't quite believe this is the first thread in his honour.

Whoo! Clyde and Starks! I love watching them play together, they compliment each other so well.

I'm a big fan of clyde as well, i think his work sparked all the modern funk ideas.

By the way what do you guys mean by the most sampled drummer? I've never heard that term.

Every time I hear "I Got The Feeling", I think that's just damn brilliant. There isn't one note in that song that's out of place, or over played, or even under played. His playing on that tune is PERFECT.

Every time I hear "I Got The Feeling", I think that's just damn brilliant. There isn't one note in that song that's out of place, or over played, or even under played. His playing on that tune is PERFECT.

LOL -- this thread is full of my favorites. That song just happens to be my favorite James Brown song! You're right - it is brilliant. That song really helped Clyde establish his own style. He utilized his left hand chatter notes and displaced backbeats. The work of a genius.

Oh yes, among drummers who have influenced me the most, Clyde is definitely in my top 5. If you don't have it already, get the DVD called "Soul of the Funky Drummers" with Clyde and Jabo. Beginning to end, it's them breaking down and demonstrating their beats. It's the one drumming DVD that I revisit over and over again. Those grooves are just....sublime.

Here's some clips from the DVD, right here on Drummerworld:
http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/Jaboandclyde.html

And this is me, doing a Clyde inspired beat with my band (admittedly, not as groovy as the master).
http://soundcloud.com/binarycontrollers/thank-you

Last edited:
Clyde Stubblefield: When I first saw him play, it was like I suddenly saw the light, and I thought: "I wanna play like that!"

Man, that clip of Clyde and Jabo is fantastic. Those grooves just make me smile a great big smile. Takes me right back to 92 when I was playing in a funk covers band, and we did a couple of James Brown numbers. Love it!

This podcast is incredible. First hand stories about Clyde, of which many directly spoken about by Clyde.
A ton of discussions with Clyde on audio, all post-James Brown, when he lived in Madison, Wisconsin and continued drumming and being an intimate part of the musical community there.
It's a whole other perspective on Clyde you can't find anywhere else that reveals the Clyde you never knew or heard about--Clyde the man, beyond the James Brown era.
Like Paul Harvey's The Rest of the Story.

The podcast host, Leo Sidran (grammy nominated musician, composer, performer, and producer) is largely what makes this so exceptional.

Back