John Bonham

Re: john bonham - stairway to heaven

You shouldnt need a tab ... he's playing along with the guitar ... the rhythm is matched with his bass drum ... and a snare hit is played right before each hit. And then add some pretty ghost notes around!

Re: JOHN BONHAM

i know this an old question but wich cymbals exactly did Bonham used? ,i know the 2002 and the giant beat, and the big 24" ride and the 15" soundedge, but i have been never sure about the crases, and if he ever used a china

ah.. bonzo what cant u say about him, great drummer and really felt it as the audience did too. very big inspiration for me as well

chewaz said:
i know this an old question but wich cymbals exactly did Bonham used?

For the majority of his career, his two main crashes were the 16" and 18" 2002 Mediums. For instance, the first crash at :00 of Kashmir is the 18". And because of him I at one point had both those crashes plus the 14" Sound Edges and the 20" Ride (I was a little bit obsessed hehe). I still have the 18" and the hi-hats, and I'll never willingly let them go. I had a dream about the 18" cracking where I cried and then got really really pissed off and started wrecking other non-drum related stuff..!

KzSgDrummer said:
For the majority of his career, his two main crashes were the 16" and 18" 2002 Mediums. For instance, the first crash at :00 of Kashmir is the 18". And because of him I at one point had both those crashes plus the 14" Sound Edges and the 20" Ride (I was a little bit obsessed hehe). I still have the 18" and the hi-hats, and I'll never willingly let them go. I had a dream about the 18" cracking where I cried and then got really really pissed off and started wrecking other non-drum related stuff..!

:O. so he never used a china¿¿?? have you notice an 18 Avedis medium crash weights less than a 18" 2002 crash wich's suppoused to be a medium weight,

This is my first post in this thread havent read any others

I really like this guy (in a drummer way not a gay way) and think hes a great drummer
in a great band well was in a great band

chewaz said:
i know this an old question but wich cymbals exactly did Bonham used? ,i know the 2002 and the giant beat, and the big 24" ride and the 15" soundedge, but i have been never sure about the crases, and if he ever used a china

This is where lots of conflicting information comes in. The Paiste website says he used a 16" medium,18" medium, 18" ride, 24" ride and of course the 15" sound edges, and 38" symphonic gong. Jeff Ocheltree's video claimed it was an 18" and 20" medium crash, with the 24" ride and 15" hh and on occasion, would use an additional 18" medium crash on the right behind the 20". Then there is the Paiste list floating around on the web that is supposed to be the actual agreement between JB and Paiste. You can see that here: http://www.netsnapshot.com/pcw/buildalbum-cgi?ACCOUNT=9334&KEY=1
Then the book, says he used a 16" or 18" on the left and an 18" medium ride for crashing on his right. The book also said sometimes he used a 20" or a 22" crash/ride on the right. Its safe to say he had a lot of different sizes that he mixed and matched when he felt like it. The only size I didn't see on the Paiste list was the 22". But he was John Bonham, and could've been given one or picked one up anywhere. No china is ever mentioned, but neither are the exrta instruments used during studio work. I have the all of the studio albums on cd, and I haven't picked up on a china being used in there, but I can't say he NEVER used one. Personally, it wouldn't be "his" sound, he had that sound that he maintained throughout his career. To me, a china just doesn't fit in there.

KzSgDrummer said:
For the majority of his career, his two main crashes were the 16" and 18" 2002 Mediums.

no i believe his main crashes were 18" and 20"

Hahahaahhahaha rofl, I never knew smoke on the water was played by the great Led Zeppelin. Does anyone know how he died in 1981 because I'm sure I dont. Wow that was worse than the thread about the review on the person who thought Zeppelin was terrible.

but this just takes the cake on the dumbest statement ever about bonham (besides "bonham is god")

"He played with Zildjian Hot Rod sticks."

Last edited:
On the Zep dvd when they are playin Nobody's Fault But Mine at Knebworth, his drumming is so solid and tight. I love his playing on this song live. Check right where Plant comes in with the harmonica around 6:40 in the knebworth section. His drumming is so tight...i love it

pdp 9091 said:
but this just takes the cake on the dumbest statement ever about bonham (besides "bonham is god")

"He played with Zildjian Hot Rod sticks."

rofl!!!!!!!!!! that's soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sooooooooooooooo funny

Hahahaha, he also mentions how Led Zeppelin broke up in 1979 and how Bonzo died in 1980 due to unknown reasons...

i know this site has been posted before but take a look through all of these zeppelin rehersals/outtakes/studio jams/alternate takes from all their albums. This stuff is raw studio material of the great plant, pagey, jonsey, and bonzo themselves. So interesting

http://sessions.led-zeppelin.us/

EDIT** listen to the studio jam in the physical graffiti section. Its so awesome to listen to all the band members inovating.

ever hear bonzo sing? I heard a recording of a live performance where he sings along with plant on battle of evermore

kaptainsteve said:
1. Zep's over-rated.
2. Bonzo is MORE talented than page or plant put together.
3. Most of Zep's songs were plagarized... google it if you don't believe me or just listen to the
small faces "You need lovin'" for one blatent example and you will see who plant tries to
sound like, but sounds like a ridiculous parady of.
4. Plant was real creepy looking, still is. He gives me the willies.

i disagree with this entire post

pdp 9091 said:
no i believe his main crashes were 18" and 20"

No I still believe it was the 16 and 18 inchers, and the above image backs me up.

I've spent hours upon hours watching The Song Remains The Same and I'm almost positive that what he was using for that show/tour are the 16/18s, and going by what they sound like there and on record, I'm inclined to think he used them most of the time. Of course he probably had every 2002 Paiste made back then, but..

Back