Roland TD-3Kit vs Yamaha DTXplorer

funkywrench

I'm looking to buy an entry level electric kit. I'm a guitarist that wants to try my hand at drumming so I don't want to spend too much. I have found a Roland TD-3Kit and a Yamaha DTXplorer advertised locally for the same price and I'd like to get some opinions on them.

Note that the Roland TD-3 is the version without the mesh snare, it is the older TD-3kit version with 4 x PD-8 pads (2 toms, snare and hi-hat), as well as two CY-8's for the cymbals.

Pad-wise they seem to be pretty similar with the Yamaha having the benefit of one extra single trigger tom, whereas the Roland has the advantage of full cymbals which are also dual trigger.

Are these the only differences in the pads?

How do the modules compare between the two?

Is one a better buy than the other?

I'm looking to buy an entry level electric kit. I'm a guitarist that wants to try my hand at drumming so I don't want to spend too much. I have found a Roland TD-3Kit and a Yamaha DTXplorer advertised locally for the same price and I'd like to get some opinions on them.

Note that the Roland TD-3 is the version without the mesh snare, it is the older TD-3kit version with 4 x PD-8 pads (2 toms, snare and hi-hat), as well as two CY-8's for the cymbals.

Pad-wise they seem to be pretty similar with the Yamaha having the benefit of one extra single trigger tom, whereas the Roland has the advantage of full cymbals which are also dual trigger.

Are these the only differences in the pads?

How do the modules compare between the two?

Is one a better buy than the other?

Roland is very well known for ekits, Yamaha is too but not as much as Roland. Lower end Yamaha is NOT the way to go, I have a DTXplorer kit and I wish I had a better one. The brain for the DTX does not have many good options, and it doesn't sound too good regardless of amp, well as compared to a Roland anyway. Roland offers more brain wise and has more variety than DTX's in general. I say take the Rolands.

How much are we talking?

At this stage, I don't think i would pay more than $300 for a TD-3. They have been "discontinued" for a few years now.

As with anything, depending on what you are going to do, a TD-3 is fine. The module is limited at this level. For a kit to just practice on and fool around on, its totally fine.

I'm in Australia so prices are very different (read: worse) than they are in the US. They're both asking $450 but I'd be hoping to snag either set for $400.

To buy a new Yamaha DTX-500 or Roland TD-11 would be close to or over $1000, which is far more than I want (or have) to spend. An alternative for me would be to buy from thomann.de which would allow me to get a DTX-500 plus drum throne to my door for around $650-700. The only problem with this is that its a few hundred more than either option above and I still get the same pads as the DTXplorer (i.e. single zone throughout).

For that reason I'm leaning towards buying used.

Do you have an opinion on the Roland vs Yamaha debate?

Ahh, sorry about that situation for yourself in terms of buying drums.

I can't speak to the Yamaha, but I'm sure its fine. Many guys around here like yamaha.

I do think the Roland will be MUCH easier to sell if you don't want it anymore. $400-450 is not a bad price, but I would try to get a TD-4 at that price point if I could for a little bit more.

As far as the TD-3 goes (I bought a used one 3 years ago, still going strong)...to learn on, to practice things on...its fine. Sounds are limited, but for practicing...that doesn't matter much. Its fairly compact and easy for a guy to move around.

The downside for the TD-3 is really two things...the hi hat pedal is TERRIBLE. I wish Roland would just include a crap normal hi-hat with all their kits, can't be that much more expensive than this crap pedal. Its just awful. The second thing is inputs, you get 9 total, and 8 are used from the stock set. (crash, ride, floor tom, tom 1,2, snare, kick, hihat) If you are trying to emulate Terry Bozzio, this set isn't going to get you there. If you just want to do more of a minimalist thing, its fine.

No usb on the TD-3, but it has a jack to hook up an MP3 player. Has a built in metro and some timing/coaching functions to help you with time.

For your stated immediate purposes, i think it will be fine for you.

Back