Hip Hop?

Yeah the samples are mind-boggling sometimes. AC/DC, Jimi Hendrix, James Brown, etc.

Here's a huge list of samples if anyone's interested.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Rock-and-Rolls-Greatest-Hip-Hop-Samples
Cool, I always want to know where the samples come from, and the more obscure the better.

It can be cool, though. Boomstick here did an awesome rocky hip hop mashup in the Seven Nation Army CHALLENGE! thread.
Thanks for the plug, Polly! Though I must reiterate that mix was about 80% Mark Vidler and 20% me. :)

I think Madlib is one of the most innovative artists out there and would recommend anyone who isn't a huge fan of hip-hop to give 'Shades of Blue' his remix of Blue Note records a listen - absolutely superb.
Wow, good call. I just checked out some of those tracks on youtube, and I am definitely getting this album. I also really liked the video for "Slim's Return."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apN0AXjJxQE

I'm a huge underground hip-hop fan - especially the stuff from Stones Throw Records. I think Madlib is one of the most innovative artists out there and would recommend anyone who isn't a huge fan of hip-hop to give 'Shades of Blue' his remix of Blue Note records a listen - absolutely superb. J Dilla has got to be another fav - everytime I listen to 'Donuts' it's just as good as the first time I ever heard it. As for MCs - DOOM is just genius.

That's my 2 pence.

Yes! DOOM is the man! Dilla is great too. The Roots just covered that whole album with real instruments. Definitely check that out if you can. I think you'll like it.

I love it old school. Dilla, MosDef, The Roots and the whole Stonesthrow community are favorites. Well, Madlib might be an excellent example when it comes to musical diversity...truly on the basis of cultural diversity.

And guys like Chris Dave with the Robert Glasper Trio interpret those beats and "samples" in such a great and unique way.

Karl

I like Madlib's younger brother Oh No - Dr No's Oxperiment is a phenomenal listen especially his sample use.

?uesto - I take it you've heard Madvilliany? That is one hell of a collaboration..

Speaking of J Dilla, one of my favourite songs by him is "E=MC2 (squared)

And just for secondary conversation, what's your interpretation between the difference in hip-hop and rap?

I like Madlib's younger brother Oh No - Dr No's Oxperiment is a phenomenal listen especially his sample use.

?uesto - I take it you've heard Madvilliany? That is one hell of a collaboration..

Are you kidding me? Of course! Great album!

And just for secondary conversation, what's your interpretation between the difference in hip-hop and rap?

Many people will give you many answers. I've debated this on other websites, and with other people, but I certainly don't have a set in stone definition for either. I could say that hip-hop is more music like The Roots, Common, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Kanye West, and then on to artists like Lupe Fiasco and Kid Cudi. Rap, on the other hand, seems more like Mobb Deep, Wu-Tang Clan, maybe Eminem... If you know most of these artists, you can tell the obvious difference.

Also, I know KRS-One said, "Rap is something you do.. Hip Hop is something you live." Many people like KRS will argue that "rap" is the music, "hip hop" is the culture.

And guys like Chris Dave with the Robert Glasper Trio interpret those beats and "samples" in such a great and unique way.

Karl

?uestlove said, in this month's Modern Drummer Magazine, (pick it up, if you haven't already), that there's nothing wrong with sampling, especially when done right, and in an effective, good sounding way. I'm not gonna tell you what else he says, but it was a very good read.

Yeah I've read that KRS-One quote. And it kinda makes sense. If I was an artist and somebody asked me what I did, I wouldn't say I hip hop, I'd say I rap. And therefore you are a rapper. And as for a lifestyle, to define a hip-hop lifestyle is kind of hard now because it's skewed. First it started out with B-Boying and dance stuff. Then came the west coast-east coast thug style and now it's kind of preppy and skaterish (Common, Lupe). I know there's more to it than that but it's just my generalization of it all.

i always get into a debate over this. i feel hip hop is a legit art form and rap is what most of you are referring to. there's a lot of great hip hop going...blue scholars, aesop rock, atmosphere, the roots, OLD gym class heroes(trust me they're friends of mine and the older stuff is great and they completely sold out), brother ali. and as for live instruments, arrested development was the first live instrument hip hop group that i know of i think

i always get into a debate over this. i feel hip hop is a legit art form and rap is what most of you are referring to. there's a lot of great hip hop going...blue scholars, aesop rock, atmosphere, the roots, OLD gym class heroes(trust me they're friends of mine and the older stuff is great and they completely sold out), brother ali. and as for live instruments, arrested development was the first live instrument hip hop group that i know of i think

Arrested Development isn't live instrumentals, I don't think. And they got started in the 90s anyway. The Beastie Boys and Public Enemy certainly had live instrumentals. The Procussions did too...

You have incredible taste in music though. That pretty much sums up all the hip hop I listen to.

i say arrested development because i think they were an actual hip hop band that used live instruments on a consistent basis rather than hire musicians to play on tracks

I think of hip hop as the music genre and rap as what the MC does, i.e. the rhythmic spoken word performance.

I think Madlib is one of the most innovative artists out there and would recommend anyone who isn't a huge fan of hip-hop to give 'Shades of Blue' his remix of Blue Note records a listen - absolutely superb.
Hey foursticks, thanks for the heads up on this album. I got the CD a few days ago, and I'm really digging it.

Hey foursticks, thanks for the heads up on this album. I got the CD a few days ago, and I'm really digging it.

Good man! Glad you enjoyed. Check out his Yesterday's New Quintet stuff too - there's some great stuff on there too.

Back