New KickPort bass drum port anyone tried one?

I'm sorry but I couldn't notice much difference in the sound before and after, but I'm not against hearing other tests. I'd like to hear it up close and personal before passing judgement

I tried it at NAMM and it made an instant improvement in the sound. It was surprising. It brought out more lows and highs and minimized the ugly mids.

Several of the drum companies were there and looked very interested, so much so that a few of the small custom guys actually put it on their display kits.

Just got mine yesterday. I'll try record a before & after next week unless someone beats me to it.

I just published an extensive writeup, with sound samples.

In short, what I heard at NAMM was astounding, but it didn't translate to my home studio.

I'm eager to hear other folks' experiences. Here's mine:

KickPort review

I just published an extensive writeup, with sound samples.

In short, what I heard at NAMM was astounding, but it didn't translate to my home studio.

I'm eager to hear other folks' experiences. Here's mine:

KickPort review

Nice review. I'm glad that someone else can attest to the fact that the drum at NAMM sounded much better with the port in.

The real-life applications are pretty limited though, so I can't see myself getting one because I'm almost always miked.

Hi there,

Jesse Bradman here from Future Percussion Concepts - The KickPort company. I sure appreciate all the discussion about our product! We have had a wonderful week with Gerry Brown and Kenny Aronoff letting us know how much they "love the KP" among others. I can assure you the KP is no gimmick - we spent over four years working on it. It has been used with wonderful success in the studio - I recently received a note from Curt Bisquera with a recorded groove telling us how great it sounds recorded.

A comment about Matt McGlynn's review. At the time Matt used the product, he was using it in conjunction with a felt pad on the inside of the head which basically took away all the qualities the KP offers. The 'Getting the Most Out of the KickPort document which can be downloaded from our website clearly advises against any dampening/muffling materials touching the resonant head. that includes mufflng rings of felt of plastic although the plastic rings can be taped down to reduce unwanted noise caused by rings, NOT the Kickport.

Matt communicated to me that he was unable to provide a head without muffling/dampening. As an accommodation, FPC has provided him with a head so he can use the KP in the manner it was designed to be used. As he is a drummer I can assume he understands that adding weight to the res head will make the res head react differently. Thus, one would likely want to tune the head a bit different as well, not to mention removing most or all dampening materials in the interior.

The KickPort is a tool and to enjoy the dramatic improvement it can offer, one must use it in the manner it was designed to be used - just like any other tool. And just like any new piece of gear, one usually must make adjustments to existing setup. I know this from playing keyboards with four platimum bands when I received a new piece of new gear...it took some work to really get the most out of it. As Jotan Afanador told me a couple weeks ago; "When I first tried the KP it was really cool, a solid improvement. Then I really spent some time with it, fooling around with different head combinations, taping off the plastic muffling ring as Jesse suggested etc., then I played around with tuning and internal dampening materials. Now I have this down, and I find it is amazing - truly an incredible product!"

If you want, email Jotan - he has a website and would likely be more than glad to respond.

the KickPort is a complex tool. It may look simple to copy but believe me it would not be as easy as one thinks - not to mention Patent Infringement :).

We have professional drummers out on the road (Dennis Chambers with Santana for one) and in the studio having tremendous success with our product. The Testimonials on our website are a small sample.

I would be pleased to have anyone me directly if any of you have specific questions!

kind regards,

Jesse Bradman, Business Development/FPC-The KickPort Company
[email protected] o/707 789 0737[/FONT]

I am wondering about the results from different sizes of kick drums. My current stage kick is a 24x18 maple, my home kit is a 22x16 poplar and I am thinking about using a 18x16 floor tom as a jungle kit sorta set up...

Thanks in advance for the reply Jesse.
Joe

This is the exact review I was looking for. I think I can get the results I am looking for with tuning/damping.

I am so glad you took the time to try it with a common and not so common size of drum. I was into the car audio thing for a few years as a younger man (wow I sound like a geezer and I am 35 lol ) and I remember lots of math being involved in figuring out what size/length of port to use in a ported speaker enclosure. It was all based on numbers that the speaker manufacture would provide, and could very wildly dependent on the style/size/cone shape/cone material/ ect ect ect...

Great review, and unless I feel like trying one on a whim, you just saved me 40 bux Bart!

Cheers!
Joe

Greetings.....
Have gigged one of these on my masters BD and also witnessed on a Pork Pie BD and you will notice the difference.
When miked up for gigging you get a more solid sound overall + you get whats still just coming from the BD which I find provides more feedback & feel, especially as I don't tend to use a personal drum monitor. Have also used with an Evans Emad head with dampening ring and no problems.
Enjoy.....

oh yeah ... it works alright!

A heads up .. dont dampen the front head too much and use as little padding in the BD as poss.

I use one in each of my 4 BD's (20, 22, 24, 28) and it's more noticeable the larger the BD!

My fav is the 24 x 18 .. for whatever reason, the planets line up when I use a Kickport in that drum!

I just put one on my Pearl SMX 24x18 bass drum and noticed a real improvement in the sound. It does exactly as it claims, it gives a clear focused sound with huge gains to the lower tones. I too have a collection of bass drums for my kit (18, 20, 22, 24) but have only tried it on the 24. I'd love to put it on my other bass drums but at $40 a kickport I'll have to be patient and do this over time, lol. It does seem to be worth the price though, I'm very pleased with the sound.

As a note, I'm using it with a Remo powerstroke 3 on the batter side and a simple black ambassador on the resonant side. As for additional muffling, I have nothing touching the resonant head (as they recommend) but I have an Evans kickpad on the interior only lightly touching the batter head to reduce a bit of the interior reflections of the maple (watch Bob Gatzens video to better understand what I mean by that). I'm curious to see whether some subtle changes in my tuning (ie. just a bit above wrinkle, perhaps just a bit tighter than that) can allow for completely removing the kickpad.

This is the best advice for KICK PORT-A heads up .. dont dampen the front head too much and use as little padding in the BD as poss.

... and no dampening on the front head works even better.

just get one like i did get drunk with ur friend and make him buy u one oh ya and it does boom bam punch chest blows any one in front of ur kick

Back