Here we go again - Pearl Masters MCX

Now THAT'S beautiful!

Not to detract from the Pearls, but how do you like the Sabian Groove ride there? Is it crashable as they say? I'm looking for a 21" ride to use for light passage riding and then really gettin on it in choruses and heavy parts... you think it's good for that?

I *love* the Groove Ride...it's exactly what I was after. I bought an HHX Dry Ride first but it was far too heavy, even though it did sound great. I wanted the same tone but with more wash and a wobbly, crashable edge - this was exactly that. Add to that, they are a perfect sonic match to the Fierce Hats...everything just fits together wonderfully, I'm very happy with all of my Sabians.

You could definitely ride the edge of this thing or spank the hell out of it on heavy drum parts. It's still very controllable and won't "ring out" with weird overtones like most of the non-dry Zildjian rides I tried. The bell is a monster, too...perfect.

Here's a few pics after installing the Optimount back onto the tom. I'm not sure if affected the sound but I was able to ditch a snare stand, always good. I also outfitted the toms w/ coated G2s over clear G1s, they sound great.

I don't know how I could *not* use die-cast hoops from now on, they're just *excllent*! I took the 4 tuning rods out to put the Optimount on, paying careful attention to how many turns it took. I put the tension rods back in and turn all of them exactly twice-around...and the tom was completely back in tune...I kid you not.

Attachments

• opti4.jpg
    opti4.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 998
  • opti5.jpg
    opti5.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 934
I played your exact kit at GC yesterday as they had it out on display.

First, the pics don't do the finish justice.

Second, punchy is a great way to describe the sound.

They had the kit set up with Paiste 2002s. I like 2002s (I know you don't) and the kit sounded good considering it has a kiddie 22 kick on it! Just kidding.

GREAT kit. I loved the die cast hoops on my old starclassics. I think that contributes to the punch of the sound. They definitely make the toms sound more aggressive.

Just 60 days left Vin!

I played your exact kit at GC yesterday as they had it out on display.

First, the pics don't do the finish justice.

Second, punchy is a great way to describe the sound.

They had the kit set up with Paiste 2002s. I like 2002s (I know you don't) and the kit sounded good considering it has a kiddie 22 kick on it! Just kidding.

GREAT kit. I loved the die cast hoops on my old starclassics. I think that contributes to the punch of the sound. They definitely make the toms sound more aggressive.

Just 60 days left Vin!

I think that's why I like them so much - they've got a lot of the character that Ludwig drums have....warm, deep, fat, punchy tones. These are much more sensitive and loud than the Luds that I've had, however. I think the similarities are due to the similar edges - slightly rounded 45's.

A 22" kick must feel like a rack tom to you, Andre! :p

I'm totally sold on die-cast hoops - tuning is a snap!

The kick actually had some guts to it.

The guy at my CG tunes pretty well, so the kit sounded good.

Again, the finish and the hardware are fantastic.

The kick would make a good timbale for me!!!

And now that I sit higher and raised my toms, my 13 x 9 tom has about 4 to 5 inches of clearance over my 26.

28 or 30, here I come!

The kick actually had some guts to it.

The guy at my CG tunes pretty well, so the kit sounded good.

Again, the finish and the hardware are fantastic.

The kick would make a good timbale for me!!!

And now that I sit higher and raised my toms, my 13 x 9 tom has about 4 to 5 inches of clearance over my 26.

28 or 30, here I come!

Yeah, the guys over at Battlefield are working on your next snare, too:

Giant_tympano.JPG

This kit is great. I know it seems strange to keep changing kits all the time, but even if it's a finish, or a 1" difference in tom depth or whatever, finding a kit you love is wonderful thing.

The finish is spectacular and with all those extaordinary Sabians surrounding the kit, it just looks incredibly professional. Well done, Zambizzi. Well done, indeed.

I *love* the Groove Ride...it's exactly what I was after. I bought an HHX Dry Ride first but it was far too heavy, even though it did sound great. I wanted the same tone but with more wash and a wobbly, crashable edge - this was exactly that. Add to that, they are a perfect sonic match to the Fierce Hats...everything just fits together wonderfully, I'm very happy with all of my Sabians.

You could definitely ride the edge of this thing or spank the hell out of it on heavy drum parts. It's still very controllable and won't "ring out" with weird overtones like most of the non-dry Zildjian rides I tried. The bell is a monster, too...perfect.

Great, just the review I need!

would you say your photos are showing the true look of the color, ive looked it up on google images and iit looks far more goldy looking, im hoping its more like your photos
- ini max edwards

Hey! a new member here, from Chile...

I´m searching for my next kit (I currently own a Mapex Pro-M) and the MCX is one of the options i'm looking at. There's no Pearl Dealer where I live, so it's kind of hard to find a MCX here.

Zambizzi, you said something about the wrap not being glued to the shell and that you'll be able to lift the seam and pull it off, can you please explain a little more about this? If you can, please post some picture about the seam you're refering to, I'll trully apreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

PD: Sorry if my english is not to good

I stay comfortable mostly because I almost always play the same sizes. My Luds had smaller sizes, which took some adjusting, and wasn't for me in the end. I'm back to what I've played for most of my short time as a drummer. I'll probably play this setup for years, it just "fits" me.

...Zam. Another in a long line of really nice drums.

I don't know how far behind I am regarding your kit count, but I have added and subtracted a few myself.

This statement struck a chord with me, as almost every picture of every kit of mine all look alike.

Once again, nice drums.

Barry

Great kit man! I have the same sickness you do my friend.. On a rather large scale as well..when it comes to turn arounds. You fortunately are blessed with more abundant money tree harvests, while I am flippin mid level kits.

I have a buddy who owns MCX and I will vouch for Pearl all the way!!

Nice grab!

This kit makes me stunned............. I always love glitter finishes and this one is one of my favorites. Did you order it as a set, or shell pack + hardware?

As for the effect of optimount on the sound, based on my experience I can say there won't be any significant difference between using optimount and using snare stand. I prefer the snare stand anyway because the legs are shorter than those of a tom stand hence easier to setup among other stands (which of course doesn't apply to your set because you don't use a separate tom stand).

Back