Finger and Hand Exercisers?

Has already been discussed, with great info. I'll take a look a bit later, will find that thread hopefully.

I'm using the D'Addario Grip Master. Also check the Gyrotwister/Dynaball - great tool.

Plus don't forget the exercises you can do with sticks - elbow smacking (quite similar to the finger technique, but grab the sticks at the tip, work your fingers and hit your forearm with the stick).
Or even that really challenging JoJo Mayer clapping exercise. Get that JoJo Mayer tutorial on hand technique if you haven't already!!

Last edited:
Is the JoJo Mayer dvd worth the investment you guys think?
Can't seem to find the Fret Master Arky. Link? And that gyrotwister looks interesting, but spendy. I may invest in that sometime down the road.

Is the JoJo Mayer dvd worth the investment you guys think?
Chase, I can't believe my eyes... Look up the term "heresy" on wikipedia. (I'm half kidding now.)

YES that tutorial is worth it. All the pros agree here. This is THE BEST tutorial on hand technique out there. As has been said on Drummerworld a gazillion times. GET IT! If not - don't complain. You've been informed.
Can't seem to find the Fret Master Arky. Link? And that gyrotwister looks interesting, but spendy. I may invest in that sometime down the road.
Sorry, that should read Grip Master. I've been using this for 22 yrs now (since getting into guitars) and it has helped me a lot.

Well pricey... How often would you buy it? I guarantee you: The first time you'll try it, some 2-3 minutes will get you a burn you won't believe!
When I'm considering buying gear I don't only think of "pricey". Most of my gear is "pricey" - so what? I'm also thinking: What do I get? More quality, better sound, more satisfaction, more efficiency? Hell that's worth the price in my book.

I'll be back with a link to the other thread I mentioned.

grab a conga and practice it. you'll build your finger strength up in no time.

Very true. I play congas and other hand percussion.

Personally, I'd be wary of using these exercisers. If you type a lot and use your hands for a lot of other things, you risk stress injury if you pile on more work.

I am right handed and a few years ago I taught myself to use my left hand for the computer mouse after I got tendonitis (took a couple of days but not that hard really). In this day and age, most of us should be thinking of ways to give our hands a break, not work them harder.

Once I realised how huge my forearms were I decided to quit using it.
forearm-stretches.jpg

haha

To be honest, I have never felt the need to try one...

I have the identical exerciser in your photo. I keep it in my car and use it when I'm stuck in traffic daily. Or if I'm feeling some road rage setting in. I think it really works and is worth the minimal investment.

Chase - sorry for the confusion!
I didn't check that link in your 1st post at first - man that's the same thing I was talking of... how dumb of me. - So yeah, it's a great tool. In fact I don't leave house without it (unless I'm doing a run) - I consider it a waste of time to not use this thing when e.g. walking around, waiting for something, doing the shopping... stuff like that.

I just usually do reps of 50 finger tip push-ups to keep my hands and fingers in shape...yea right, I also have this bridge I'm trying to sell, lol.

Dennis

Chase - sorry for the confusion!
I didn't check that link in your 1st post at first - man that's the same thing I was talking of... how dumb of me. - So yeah, it's a great tool. In fact I don't leave house without it (unless I'm doing a run) - I consider it a waste of time to not use this thing when e.g. walking around, waiting for something, doing the shopping... stuff like that.

Which weight would you suggest I get Arky? My right hand has stronger fingers than my left, with my blast beats clocking between 225-240bpm. My left hand is useless essentially haha.

Chase, I've been using the Medium Tension version. Considering you have no expeience with this thing yet I wouldn't go beyond medium tension.

I can't find that other thread... I described how I'm using the Grip Master. Well vary the finger sequence for better finger independence. But start with doing 'sweeps', going from 1-2-3-4 (index, middle, ring finger, pinky) back to the index finger again, repeat. I'm also doing 'one finger workouts' at times, doing enough repetitions with one finger until I feel some exhaustion, then I would move on to the next finger. Usually I'm starting with my weakest finger and work up to the index finger, then restart from the pinky.

Also, I'm always switching between L and R hands. I've been doing this for 22 years now. I remember one guitarist asked me why I'm practicing my R hand with the Grip Master... Scratching my head... Well I have 2 hands, that's why! And some techniques require the right hand to have some strength so absolutely practice both hands with whatever tools you're using.

Well you need to focus on your left hand then! Haha. It's hard work, nothing to do about it.

This'll be an interesting experience then. I have a light and a medium one coming in the mail tomorrow. Something to keep up my finger chops since I work full-time and go to college full-time. I know it obviously isn't a solution, whereas the only real way is to actually play, but anythings helps at this point when I don't have a whole lot of kit time.
Thanks everyone for your feedback! Much appreciated. \m/

Back