Lou Reed Dead at 71

JohnnyG

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
NEW YORK — Lou Reed, the punk-poet of rock n' roll who profoundly influenced generations of musicians as leader of the 1960s cult band Velvet Underground and remained a vital solo performer for decades after, has died.

Reed's literary agent Andrew Wylie says the legendary musician died Sunday morning in Southampton at age 71 of an ailment related to his recent liver transplant.

Reed never approached the commercial success of such contemporaries as the Beatles and Bob Dylan, but no songwriter to emerge after Dylan so radically expanded the territory of rock lyrics. And no band did more than the Velvet Underground to open rock music to the avant-garde — to experimental theater, art, literature and film, to William Burroughs and Kurt Weill, to John Cage and Andy Warhol, Reed's early patron and longtime inspiration.

Online tributes were pouring in on social media after a message sent earlier in the day on Reed's Twitter and Facebook pages read simply, "The Door."

The Velvet Underground revolutionized rock in the 1960s and 70s with a mixture of thrashing guitar licks and smooth melodies sung by Reed or the sultry German model Nico, who briefly collaborated with the band at Warhol's insistence.

The band has long been recognized as a major musical influence on punk and art rock, as reflected in a quote often attributed to musician Brian Eno that, "The first Velvet Underground album only sold 10,000 copies, but everyone who bought it formed a band."

An admitted hard drinker and drug user for many years, Reed underwent a liver transplant earlier this year at the Cleveland Mayo Clinic, his wife, Laurie Anderson, told The Times of London, after he had canceled five California concert dates scheduled in April.

"I am a triumph of modern medicine," Reed posted on his website on June 1, 2013, without directly acknowledging the transplant. "I look forward to being on stage performing, and writing more songs to connect with your hearts and spirits and the universe well into the future."

"I am a triumph of modern medicine," Reed posted on his website on June 1, 2013, without directly acknowledging the transplant. "I look forward to being on stage performing, and writing more songs to connect with your hearts and spirits and the universe well into the future."

Wow, not exactly great last words. Rest in peace, Lou. Do do do, do, do do do do, do do, do do, do do do dooooo.

RIP Lou.
Very fitting last words, from a guy like Lou Reed. Made you think.
I get it....leaving the room, leaving here, through a door.

Another great one bites the dust. He got to three-score-and-ten so a job well done, despite his ... lively youth.

Venus in Furs. Heroin. White Light White Heat. Intro/Sweet Jane. Rock n Roll. Vicious. Berlin. Take a Walk on the Wild Side. Lou's given me a lot of pleasure over the years and I'm grateful for his boldness, creativity and cleverness.

Lou's just moved to his next phase.

Last edited:
"You're going to reap just what you sow...." (Perfect Day - Lou Reed)

I'll miss you.

RIP Lou Reed.

Good old Lou Reed. He played his music and managed his career on his own terms, and he always maintained high musical standards with his bands and on his records, and I admired and respected him for that.

"New York" will always be one of my favorite records, a great piece of work any way you look at it.

So long, Lou. Condolences to Laurie Anderson.

The man was an influence to anyone who listened to his music.He didn't care about wealth nor what other people thought,and was one of the last genuine pioneers and risk takers.He was what Rock N Roll was suppose to be about.

OOOOHHHH,her life was saved by Rock n Roll.....Hey baby ,Rock n Roll ..
"Rock N Roll"....By Lou Reed

RIP Lou.it was a gas.

Steve B

As hard as he lived, I'm kind of surprised he made it that long..................with that said, nothing but respect for the man

RIP Mr Reed

Never knew much about him or his music, but I know he was a giant in the rock music landscape.

RIP Lou

Honestly, the thread title makes me think everyone expects to live to 90 these days and that's unrealistic, especially when you're Lou Reed.

I'll be playing 'Metal Machine Music' tomorrow in his honour. That album had a profound personal effect on me.

One of the great party clearing albums of all time. :)

I liked the Velvets first album, Live at Max's Kansas City & Loaded.

And Lou's Street Hassle, Blue Mask, & New Sensations.

RIP

Honestly, the thread title makes me think everyone expects to live to 90 these days and that's unrealistic, especially when you're Lou Reed.

??
Honestly, I have no idea how one comes to that conclusion from the title of the thread.
C'mon give a little love for Lou :)

Hell mate, given what they've done to themselves over the years.......I half expect guys like Lou Reed, Keith Richards, Jimmy Page et al to live FOREVER.

It's very easy to get a sense of: 'if the narcotics in the 70's couldn't see 'em outta here, nothing can'

Without Lou, I never would have known what the colored girls say. Or, that little Joe never once gave it away.

Back