feedback, thoughts and opinions

...reducible to a package as small as 2X2X2 feet?

That'll be interesting.

That's pretty much the extreme limit to its size reduction capabilities. I don't recommend storing it in a package that small, but it is possible to do so. I give those dimensions to demonstrate just how durable and versatile my design actually is.

So when do we get to see pictures? As a past designer/draftsman, I'm skeptical about this. To me it sounds like you just put some drums in a clear bounce house.

So when do we get to see pictures? As a past designer/draftsman, I'm skeptical about this. To me it sounds like you just put some drums in a clear bounce house.

Pictures will come when it's time. Right now I'm focused on logistical issues, legal stuff, etc. I'm just gathering feedback to help me take the final steps into production. And as a designer/draftsman myself, I'd be skeptical too haha. Once you see it,though, it will make complete sense to you, I promise.

Pictures will come when it's time. Right now I'm focused on logistical issues, legal stuff, etc. I'm just gathering feedback to help me take the final steps into production. And as a designer/draftsman myself, I'd be skeptical too haha. Once you see it,though, it will make complete sense to you, I promise.

I'll be waiting for sure. I must know how it has no moving parts/fasteners, but yet is easily assembled, and reducible to 2'x2'x2'.

For me how it sounds when behind the shield as well as reducing unwanted reflections is a big deal. Plastic does a very poor job in these areas. Unwanted reflections get sent up and bounce around like sonic bullets, getting into the mikes.

At my church a generous guy with wood skills built a set of hinged sound baffles NOT made of any plastic. The wood, cloth and sound absorptive material absorbs sound and reflects much less than any plastic or hard surface I've played behind. Of course you can't see the drummer except from the neck up - which is fine with me.

The next best thing I've experienced is one of the mixed material, total enclosure like this. A bit of an isolating experience musically and puts more weight on the shoulders of those providing and mixing monitors for the drummer. It's also $3000 (I think) not including the Avion monitoring solution that is necessary for this to function.

There's definitely a need for better products in this area. Come up with a winner and the first thing you'll want to do is market to churches in the U.S.

Jim

Yes there are definite drawbacks whichever way you go. But with a little tweaking, depending on how far you want to go, my design will compete even with the megamini - at a fraction of the weight and bulk. I'm doing a second set of tests on the finished product within the next month, then I'll post the final decibel reduction figures on this forum. The test will be run with the basic unit only - no additional soundproofing. I want to establish a baseline for future tests by myself and users of my product. Of course I'd love to invent something that kills low frequency waves and is still lightweight and transparent, but that really is the holy grail of drum shields. Someday...

Last edited:
Hey folks. Just giving an update,.

The CRASH CAN (yes, that's its official Brand Name) will be available for purchase very soon. I will keep you posted.

The name "Crash Can" and its accompanying graphics are fully protected by copyright and trademark laws, and are registered with the US offices of Copyrights and Trademarks.

Attachments

• crashcan logo final SMALL.jpg
    crashcan logo final SMALL.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
The Crash Can is undergoing final sound tests this Monday; I'll post them here as soon as we get the data. We will be testing without any additional soundproofing or top/cover, then we will test with a simple cover, and then with some extra soundproofing, just to see what's possible yet portable. We've eliminated all hardware from the design; no moving parts, screws, fasteners, etc. Very simple, lightweight, durable, portable and effective. The entire unit (full 8 foot surround) weighs in around 90 pounds. We'll keep you posted!

OK folks; the basic noise reduction numbers are:

Crash Can 6 panel shield:

21 dB reduction in the HF. 6 dB total broadband reduction.

Compared to:

Standard acrylic 1/4" 6 panel shield - with additional 1' inclined deflectors:

16 dB in HF, 3.5 dB total broadband

Both units were set in an identical semicircular configuration.

This test was done under controlled conditions by a certified sound engineer, with the basic plastic units only. We didn't do any tests with additional soundproofing, but this would undoubtedly raise the final noise reduction significantly. We'll be doing another test this week with the addition of 4" pyramid foam around the lower interior - just for further clarification. The addition of a cover would certainly kill a lot of high frequency noise, but that's the skinny on the basic unit.

As it stands, it's a definite winner - even without additional bells and whistles. It's price-comparable, easily modified*, super-lightweight, incredibly tough*, has no mechanical parts, and it just plain works better.

I'll be posting actual spreadsheets with hard data soon - for all you serious techies.

*easily modified, incredibly tough* - you can cut it with a jigsaw, drill it, hammer it, nail it, screw through it, kick and beat it in frustration, cuss it, throw someone through it, toss it out a three-story window, use it for a hammock...pretty much anything but setting it on fire is fine.

Last edited:
+1.....I definitely want to see more

Very soon now!

One-man setup time, ten minutes flat. Easy peasy. I just set it up in my studio, by myself. It wasn't even work. Trying to locate a reliable source for one of the components now. Fun fun fun. More info soon!

Back