Heads to compliment the Evans EMAD bass head

TheNightMonkey

Hey everyone,

I'm making the switch from Remo to Evans. Already have the EMAD Bass head and it sounds amazing - just wondering if anyone can recommend me any snare/tom heads which they have found best compliment this?

Most reviews I've read say the EMAD bass head is probably one of the best you can get, so I'm kind of looking for the equaivalent for the toms & snare!

Thanks for any help!

Craig

My favorite selection is Evans coated G2 over clear G1 resos on the toms
and any of the Genera HD or ST dry snare heads over a Hazy 300

This depends on the sound you're looking to get out of your drums. You you like really focused toms or open/resonant toms? What kind of sound are you looking to get from your snare? We have a lot of different options.

Congrats on making the switch!

I tend to like more focused toms with quite a warm tone. As for the snare, I have a 13" Black Panther and most heads I've tried on it have still given a little unwanted nasty resonance - so I guess I'm really just looking for a snare head that will give a solid, sharp sound with little resonance.

I've played Evans snare heads on other kits before and they sound very solid!

Try EC2 batters and clear or coated (for a warmer sound) G1 resos on the toms. As for the snare, check out the ST Dry with steel snares.

depending on what you want, really!
im a 1-ply fan (despite the lasting of the heads, theyll last you what theyll have to)
for your snare drum: genera dry over hazy 200
for your toms: coated g1 over clear g1 resos

and, if you let me give you my advice over snare wires
although i like puresound snare wires, i found the fat cat dual adjustable snappy snares amazing (they are cheaper than the puresound snare wires, and i find them quite more versatile!)

Yea, i've actually thought about giving snappy snares a try!

Just out of interest, anybody got anything good/bad/otherwise to say about Evans Hydraulic skins?

Hydraulics? I have heard they are probably the deadest heads in the market. I have some on my kit, and they are as dead as dead is, but that is probably due to the fact that they are 10 years old, and on a Tama Rockstar :D

Yea, i've actually thought about giving snappy snares a try!

Just out of interest, anybody got anything good/bad/otherwise to say about Evans Hydraulic skins?

yeh, you will not be disappointed
and ive got the clear glass hydraulics, they are fair, not too bad... (really dead as told below)

The Genera HD Dry is meant to be a really focused head that lacks a lot of resonance. It has small holes around its circumference. As for your toms, I would go with coated G2s over Gplus.

Back