Jose Pasillas

It is here in Houston. I'm pretty sure Incubus is doing these meet and greets at all their stops on this smaller venue tour they're on right now. I'm still trying to think what would be the best question(s) to ask Jose, if given the oppurtunity. Heck, I wouldn't mind talking to his tech if I can't talk to him.

hell yeah i'd be happy talking to the tech. he'd probably be happier talking about all his equipment etc. i think jose probably gets very bored with it sometimes. i keep hearing that his cymbal setup has changed from the one on the internet, someone saying he uses rides as crashes etc. I know taylor hawkins does that so i wouldn't be surprised. the venue sizes they play can be pretty huge.

I have now listened to the incubus album in full, and it sucks. Obviously just my opinion and what do i know, but it sucks. i own 7 hours of incubus and 3 dvds and this is by far their worst stuff. I t just seems lacking in something. Love the single but there is a lot of stuff on the album that i just don't get, the opening track especially, along with the title track.

I even dislike Jose's playing, i never thought i would say that.

Really dissappointed as i was looking forward to it so much but oh well. I just hope that this isn't a sign of things to come.

Bring back Dirk Lance!!!!! Ben kenny just isnt the same, i still think that he's good and really liked the stuff he did on Crow left of the murder but he's just not as funky.

Anyway, my 2 cents, ignore me at will. I'm sure plenty of people will love it.

That's funny. I actually thought the contrary - that A Crow Left On The Murder was a disappointing album and that Light Grenades is very good. Granted, I still think there is something missing without Dirk. He really had that special touch on his instrument in Incubus' context, in my opinion. But this album is one of my favorites along with Make Yourself. And since we are speaking about Jose, I think his playing is tasteful on this last release and I really dig the sound and mix of the drums. To each his own I guess...

hell yeah i'd be happy talking to the tech. he'd probably be happier talking about all his equipment etc.

That was my exact thinking too.

i keep hearing that his cymbal setup has changed from the one on the internet, someone saying he uses rides as crashes etc.

As far as I know, this is accurate. I want to find out for sure. When DRUM! magazine did a cover story on Jose back in 2004, they reported all rides and no crashes. The cymbal setup listed on the Sabian website is definitely old.

And since we are speaking about Jose, I think his playing is tasteful on this last release and I really dig the sound and mix of the drums. To each his own I guess...

I agree. It seems that on the newest release he scaled back a little on his playing, but it definitely still fit the songs well. By scaled back I don't mean that he played simple stuff. It was still intricate. I just heard more stuff between the snare, bass, hi-hat, and rides as opposed to tom stuff.

Re: Jose Pasillas I.N.C.U.B.U.S. M.A.S.T.E.R.

Does anybody else like this guy or have their comments on him? You should listen to "redefine" , "glass", "magic medicine" , "nowhere fast" , or " Battlestar Scralatchtica" by Incubus, if you want to check him out.

He's okay. Hasn't got many chops though. I quite like his band.

Im jealous man. I hope meeting the band goes well.

Anyway as far as the new album goes its true hes scaled back a bit on his playing, his style is a lot more subtle this time around but I love it.

Its hard for me to rank Incubus albums, being that they are my favorite band.

I do miss dirk a bit, but Ben is the best replacement they could have found IMO.

Re: Meeting Jose Pasillas

Ok, so I am going to meet Jose Pasillas this Friday night (along with the rest of Incubus) because I won these meet and greet tickets. Has anyone else ever won these things? Do you actually get to talk to the band members? If so, what should I ask Jose?

Tomorrow is the show I am going to. I've been trying to think about what to ask. Any advice would be appreciated.

Ask him if he still smokes weed and what he thinks about the relation of Marijuana and music/drums

:)

I have always wanted to know his opinions on it.

I just finished watching ALIVE @ RED ROCKS, awesome!!! Jose, Ben, & Brandon to a triple drum solo followed by a solo by Jose'. For those that think that he doesn't have chops, you obviously haven't a clue. What is it with drummers lately? We all talk about playing for the song and what not, but then hack on each other for not having chops? Stupid!!!

He's okay. Hasn't got many chops though. I quite like his band.

I just finished watching ALIVE @ RED ROCKS, awesome!!! Jose, Ben, & Brandon to a triple drum solo followed by a solo by Jose'. For those that think that he doesn't have chops, you obviously haven't a clue. What is it with drummers lately? We all talk about playing for the song and what not, but then hack on each other for not having chops? Stupid!!!

I meant no offence. I too have that DVD. I was simply leaving an honest opinion. Not trying to bring him down. I think what he plays on his songs is good. He reminds me of a cross between Copeland and Bonham. He's just young and has room for development.

Well, I got to meet him last Friday night. It was awesome. The whole band was super nice. I only got to talk to Jose for a couple of minutes, though, because the band was running late. I did get a picture with him, so that was cool. All in all, it couldn't have gone better unless I could of had more time to talk with him.

Well, I got to meet him last Friday night. It was awesome. The whole band was super nice. I only got to talk to Jose for a couple of minutes, though, because the band was running late. I did get a picture with him, so that was cool. All in all, it couldn't have gone better unless I could of had more time to talk with him.
Thats great bud, Post the pic

IF you scan it I will love you.

What did you and Jose talk about?

Well, the article isn't until next month, so I don't have it yet.

Like I said before, I really didn't get to talk to him too much because the band was running late, so the powers that be moved us along pretty quickly. I just told him that I appreciate what he does and that he is one of my biggest influences on the kit. He said that was awesome and asked a little about me and told me that as long as I am having a good time with it then that is what matters.

How do I post a pic?

Easiest way, go to post a reply, Click the Paperclip thing in the menu and there you can manage attachments. Hit browse on the 'Upload a file from your Computer' section and then upload.

Once it's done (the file will appear lower down in the box) close that manage attachments window and then click the paperclip again to see your file in a dropdown menu, click the name of the file and it'll automatically include it in your post (you'll see the code

Attachments

• 27687424_l.jpg
    27687424_l.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 1,368
Back