How have you found band members?

412drummer

I am in 2 bands and had been in another one for years before these. The bands always found me though. One of my bands is fairly inactive and now I'm looking to maybe start another. My problem is all my friends that play instruments are in bands. So my question is how have you gone about finding other musicians outside of your friends?

IMO, open mic nights work best. Craigslist is an option, but I haven't had too much luck with it when I have looked for people to fill openings in band's I've been in.

I usually look in very dark places. If you stun them with a bright light, you can usually capture them before they scurry off.

IMO, open mic nights work best. Craigslist is an option, but I haven't had too much luck with it when I have looked for people to fill openings in band's I've been in.

Good idea I thought about going to a few to scope out places to play but this is a good idea for them too.

The key is just getting to know people.

See if there is a local musician group to you on meetup.com

I'm sure there are musician hang out groups on facebook.

You have some musicians friends, make it a point to get to know their other friends who are musicians. And then those friend's friends. And then keep going.

Hang out where musicians hang out, like the clubs where bands play at.

Once you expand your circle of friends (which I understand is not always that easy), your bound to find people and/or situations.

The key is just getting to know people.

See if there is a local musician group to you on meetup.com

I'm sure there are musician hang out groups on facebook.

You have some musicians friends, make it a point to get to know their other friends who are musicians. And then those friend's friends. And then keep going.

Hang out where musicians hang out, like the clubs where bands play at.

Once you expand your circle of friends (which I understand is not always that easy), your bound to find people and/or situations.
I agree with this, my problem is I pretty much live in the middle of the woods. I need to find a way to get into the city more but its easier said than done for me lol. I will look on meetup and see whats up. Facebook there is groups I know of and apart of but they are for strictly metal/hardcore. They tried making a cover all group and no one went on it so they shut it down.

I usually look in very dark places. If you stun them with a bright light, you can usually capture them before they scurry off.

I can relate to this. I must have a hundred guitar players under my fridge, but those little bastards are fast. As soon as you turn on the lights, it's like they disappear. I'm told they can practically live through a nuke.

On the OP's question: Several ways. We've found people on craigs before, mostly we're old friends... More recently, I've been finding more musical opportunities just by going to local jams and playing with/for people.

Last edited:
Craigs list has worked for me, but we were VERY patient. We must have had a dozen auditions for a singer, ( with a half dozen no shows ). While I was found in a music store. One of my friends has used facebook to his advantage.

Back