Could this be it?

Maybe acrylic infused or acetylated bamboo? Might not sound like wood anymore, but is that a bad thing? It would sure be predictable.

I'd like to hear a super thin shelled drum milled from some kind of stone.

Or a shell carved from blocks of natural salt.

Clay drums.

A diamond drumshell 1 nm thick.

A combo drumkit/bong :)

All drums should have hit counters on them. I'm pretty sure I've hit my bass drum billions of times, for real.

rdavidr did a YouTube video where he melted recyclable plastics and made a bass drum beater from it.
That got me thinking about melting a bookoo amount of say, water bottles and making a thick, plastic sheet. Roll that into a snare shell & just see what can be done with it. Would look funky, but that would be part of the charm.

Craviotto makes a solid shell drum, but the price is FAR beyond what most of us drummers can spring.

Here's a start

You just gave me a great idea. A drum that you can fill with water....to different levels...to emulate a deep or shallow shell....in the same drum....depending on how much water you put in there.

With a reservoir to hold the extra water, so you can switch back and forth between different volumes of air inside the shell.

Why do I get the feeling that someone will post the Keith Moon shot where he has a clear floor tom with a goldfish in it?

Thank you cannabis!

You just gave me a great idea. A drum that you can fill with water....to different levels...to emulate a deep or shallow shell....in the same drum....depending on how much water you put in there.

With a reservoir to hold the extra water, so you can switch back and forth between different volumes of air inside the shell.

Why do I get the feeling that someone will post the Keith Moon shot where he has a clear floor tom with a goldfish in it?

Thank you cannabis!

Dunnett did something similar years ago. It was a metal shell with double-walled construction. By filling the shell with different amounts of water, you could change the sound.

Attachments

• 5e1b3be86d56eac2f05133796a913039--snare-drum-percussion.jpg
    5e1b3be86d56eac2f05133796a913039--snare-drum-percussion.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 60
I know there has been carbon fiber shells, and shells wrapped in cloth (some cloth wrapped drums sitting in my kitchen right now) but what about replacing the carbon fiber with cloth?

It would be built similarly. And the finish would just be the whatever fabric was used. Probably cheaper and would sound similar. A basic cotton broad cloth is 5 bucks or less a yard, can only imagine it being cheaper in bulk.

Back