Mapex Saturn blue sparkle delivered

GREAT looking kit!!!!

thats one god looking set man.

But what's with the a mastersounds in the front of that last shot?

What a good looking kit. Man did you score on that one. I am in love with the sound of the Saturns. Enjoy that bad boy!!

Last edited:
that's an amazing kit... I don't think I could play it though, I'm not left handed... does being left handed affect how people view your drumming?

Thanks remnantdrummer, being left handed is no different than people who are born right handed, we all do the same things with the same skill level and dexterity, but you are bring up a good point, that for some odd reason, some people think that it must be more difficult for leftys to do the same types of things compared to someone who is right handed, drumming included, which is silly to think. I would play a right handed kit with as much finesse as you would play a left handed kit.

Great find on those drums my friend, and now we have two things in common, a Taye set, and a Blue Glass set, although mine is wrapped up in one set. With the other tom and rack that set looks totally awesome.

I just noticed that you have the RMV in bags. What a waste! :)

But the Saturn looks great!

No, not wasted, I gigged them a week ago and transported them back in the bags. I have been filling in and rehearsing with my old band from time to time, as the drummer they have now is stretched a little thin for time, so it's easier for me to leave the kit in bags so that I can take them to a rehersal or to a gig in a flash. I choose to gig these out and transport them because of the durability of the wrap and as you know, the drums are light and easier to schlep around.

No, not wasted, I gigged them a week ago and transported them back in the bags. I have been filling in and rehearsing with my old band from time to time, as the drummer they have now is stretched a little thin for time, so it's easier for me to leave the kit in bags so that I can take them to a rehersal or to a gig in a flash. I choose to gig these out and transport them because of the durability of the wrap and as you know, the drums are light and easier to schlep around.

Well, that's good. How did they do at the gig?

Hi Jim-fear, how's your kit doing? The RMV kit sounds fantastic miced up! The band has a 24 channel mixer, power amps, speakers/cabs and a subwoofer, I'm pretty sure most of the speakers are JBL/Carvin as are the amps. I have my own mics, nothing high-end but for live applications, they do the job very well - Audix Fusion series with Audix D-Vice mounting flex-arms that attach to the rims of the drums- F10 for the snare and toms, F12 for the 16 floor tom, and an inexpensive Samson Q-Kick for the bass drum. The 10 and 12 inch toms come through with some real sweet clarity of tone and sustain, the 14 and 16 inch toms have some great lower end with alot of fullness and the kick, with the original batter and ported Aquarian Resonator head and a small muffling pillow from PDP to control overtones, packs a great solid "whoomp" on the bottom when pumped through the subwoofer. Have not tried the two condensor mics in the Audix set as overheads, but I'll see in the future if I get a chance with this or another band.

Hi Jim-fear, how's your kit doing? The RMV kit sounds fantastic miced up! The band has a 24 channel mixer, power amps, speakers/cabs and a subwoofer, I'm pretty sure most of the speakers are JBL/Carvin as are the amps. I have my own mics, nothing high-end but for live applications, they do the job very well - Audix Fusion series, F10 for the snare and toms, F12 for the 16 floor tom, and an inexpensive Samson Q-Kick for the bass drum. The 10 and 12 inch toms come through with some real sweet clarity of tone and sustain, the 14 and 16 inch toms have some great lower end with alot of fullness and the kick, with the original batter and ported Aquarian Resonator head and a small muffling pillow from PDP to control overtones, packs a great solid "whoomp" on the bottom when pumped through the subwoofer. Have not tried the two condensor mics in the Audix set as overheads, but I'll see in the future if I get a chance with this or another band.

i have the fusions as well and they are great! The overheads work pretty well, actually and i have used them in both recording and live situations. The only thing i bought was a D6 for a kick mic. However i will need to buy at least one more mic because now i have too many toms for my mic set up.

Hi Jim-fear, how's your kit doing? The RMV kit sounds fantastic miced up! The band has a 24 channel mixer, power amps, speakers/cabs and a subwoofer, I'm pretty sure most of the speakers are JBL/Carvin as are the amps. I have my own mics, nothing high-end but for live applications, they do the job very well - Audix Fusion series with Audix D-Vice mounting flex-arms that attach to the rims of the drums- F10 for the snare and toms, F12 for the 16 floor tom, and an inexpensive Samson Q-Kick for the bass drum. The 10 and 12 inch toms come through with some real sweet clarity of tone and sustain, the 14 and 16 inch toms have some great lower end with alot of fullness and the kick, with the original batter and ported Aquarian Resonator head and a small muffling pillow from PDP to control overtones, packs a great solid "whoomp" on the bottom when pumped through the subwoofer. Have not tried the two condensor mics in the Audix set as overheads, but I'll see in the future if I get a chance with this or another band.

Wow, that's great news! I haven't miced mine up yet but I'll be going up to Northern AZ for a 3 to 4 day retreat during spring break and I'll get them miced up there. The best part is that I'll be using a great setup. Shure SM57 on the snare, Beta 52 on the bass and KSM141 condensors, and Audix D2s on the toms. Unfortunately, I don't own any of them.
I'm not exactly sure of the mixer, but I know that the drum mix will be running through its own mixer and into the main board. Anyway, it should sound great. By the way, you should try an Emad on your bass. I have a 1-ply Emad coated paired with an Aquarian resonator ported and it sounds amazing unmuffled. Do you still have the stock heads on your toms? I thinking about going with a G2 over G1 combination. I like the stock heads but I just through singly ply heads too quickly. But it is convenient knowing that whatever heads I go with , it will still sound great.

Dingbat;

That blue sparkle is absolutely beautiful.

I've had my Saturns for two weeks now and I think they sound better with each passing day.

mapex_front_left_109.jpg

mapex_drivers_seat_587.jpg

Thanks for the compliment Boomerbrown, this thread was certainly dug up! In all honesty, I like the black cherry sparkle finish better than the blue sparkle, but the deal on this kit was too good to pass up. Your kit must be a 2007 with the newer diecast BD claws, is that the root beer fade sparkle? Outstanding!

ouu baby, nice kit.
I have a thing for blue sparkle. I have two blue sparkle wrapped kits and another on the way this week, so I'm somewhat biased, but I bet that sparkly wonder sounds as beaut as she looks.

Back