Yamaha Style Wood Hoops on Drums? Are They Worth It?

pharp

Are Yamaha Style Wooden Hoops worth having on toms and snares? I love the look of it on a set but am wanting know if they sound good, stay in tune, or are durable. Will they have no trouble being fit into my cases? I have Protection Racket soft cases. I am contemplating ordering my next set with all Yamaha Style Wood Hoops on toms and snare. Please reply to this and give your thoughts about my concern.

- Preston

Sure, most wooden hoops look nice, but is it really what you want? Try some out if you can before you make your purchase. Personally I've never cared for them for their sound and bulk.

Dennis

The hoops are durable, & a fit in your cases should be no problem. They will dry out the sound/reduce head sustain through additional mass compared to triple flange hoops. As they're very thick ply construction, they don't resonate much, & therefore contribute little to the tone.

The hoops are durable, & a fit in your cases should be no problem. They will dry out the sound/reduce head sustain through additional mass compared to triple flange hoops. As they're very thick ply construction, they don't resonate much, & therefore contribute little to the tone.

That is interesting. I wish I could try some on my kit. Steve Jordan has hoops on his Yamaha kit and I really like his tone. To be honest, my desire for those hoops are cosmetic. My kit is a Yamaha oak. It would pretty much look like Russ Millers's oak (minus all the fancy stuff he has). Check this out.

russmiller.jpg

If anyone knows where to get that EXACT front bass drum head he has, please let me know.

I tried the Yamaha wood hoops on a Ludwig 7x14 Epic snare last year and although I loved the look, I could tell no discernible difference in the sonic quality. Rim shots felt particularly nice on that wide wood hoop, but again, it wasn't that different from getting that sound with a die cast hoop. So after a week of experimenting, I couldn't justify the additional $200 for the hoops and I returned them. It does look cool though.

That is interesting. I wish I could try some on my kit. Steve Jordan has hoops on his Yamaha kit and I really like his tone. To be honest, my desire for those hoops are cosmetic. My kit is a Yamaha oak. It would pretty much look like Russ Millers's oak (minus all the fancy stuff he has). Check this out.

russmiller.jpg

If anyone knows where to get that EXACT front bass drum head he has, please let me know.

Don;t forget sound you're hearing from Jordan's kit could be EQ'ed, like many kits you hear.

Aesthetically, all I see is metal on the above setup. That rack looks like scaffolding for a PA system. Not my thing.

I think wood hoops can be nice but prefer the way Ayotte did them. The Yamaha's look chunky to me.

I like the way Ayotte did them too.

I love everything Yamaha but I don't care to use their wood hoops on my snares or toms... although the most common praise of them is the nice rimshot sound it can provide on snares.

Personally I would invest in an S-hoop over a wood hoop for my drums.

Back