Votes: 34 6.6%
  • Semi-Pro - I have another job and I play my drums for money

Votes: 196 38.0%
  • Hobbyist - I play my drums strictly for my own enjoyment

Votes: 250 48.4%
  • Student- Pro - I'm in school but I still play gigs

Votes: 36 7.0%

• Total voters
Played drums full time for most of the 70's and early 80's Since then working in the I.T. Field by day and playing about 120 gigs per year nights and weekends.

Did 3 for ten years before I finally got into a band that stayed together for more than a few months.

Big fat 2 and proud.

It's nice to be able to get paid to play but at the same time it's nice to have all your bills covered regardless of how many gigs I have.

At the moment I'm on my yearly holiday from gigging and I'm happily re-charging my batteries. Sometimes I'm busy from February - December. With a 9-5 to do it starts to get to you after a while :) My holiday ends on 3/3/18 :(

I feel funny considering myself "semi-pro", as I don't feel that I'm all that accomplished, in scheme of things. Even here locally, I feel that I'm way down the list of drummers. Considering myself even "semi" professional at this seems....pretentious. :)

Still, I get paid to play gigs. I don't get paid a lot, but some bar gigs, a few times per month. So I guess I qualify.

Hobbyist and it's a great hobby to have.

I'm a semi pro I guess. I've been playing nearly 50 yr. now. I've always worked a full time job and played in bands on the side. I definitely get paid for it. There have been many yr. when I wasn't in a band and just played for my own enjoyment, but more often than not I'm in a band.

I'm a hobbyist been playing 6 years in my home. I love the drum kit play almost every day. Its not enough though, I have a goal this year to play with other musicians.

Just hit my 50 year mark playing drums. The 70's and half of the 80's it was music full time. Now it's working in a prison by day and gigging on weekends and in the warm weather festivals and town concerts during the week.

I guess I would be considered semi pro.

Last edited:
Hobby. Still. after all these years. (for drums anyway- I spose I was "semipro" while playin' bass in a few local bands over the last 30+ years.) Never got paid for drums though.. hmm.. interesting now that I think of it. ;)

T.

Professional. What money I do make, I make from playing drums, or writing music. I've had a few day jobs in my life but they were always hourly/tip-based and flexible jobs that were there to make up whatever monetary shortfalls the musician's life left me with, and it's been over a decade since I've done any of that.

Of course now that I'm a full time co-band leader I'm pretty much just spending money... :)

Hobby for now, but there isn't a "beginner and aiming for a bit more" category.
I'm only 6 months in and finally starting to feel semi comfortable behind a kit, but not yet comfortable jamming with other musicians. As a 30-something in an expensive city with a good day job I don't anticipate I can go full on pro musician like those who have been at it for 20 years by the time they hit 33. But I also like to take my hobbies seriously and do hope to eventually be jam-worthy. If I get good enough and find the contacts to chill out and jam seriously 2 or 3 nights a week it will be a success. If we go out and play a bar or 2 on occasion I would consider it a check off my bucket list. But that's a good year or more out if I'm lucky with my studies and contacts.

A solid 3.

Currently in no bands and don't have any acoustic gear.

Before I was married it made a semi reasonable contribution to my income, but I'd still say it was a hobby more than anything else. I don't really remember ever not drumming for fun, starting to miss playing with others now. It's been too long.

I'm a 2 - not much money at all, apart from the odd corporate gig. Mostly beer festivals and private functions for not much more than petrol money and free food/beer. Wouldn't have it any other way!

Semi. I have a day job and I play on gigs like, festivals, gathering, birthdays, weddings etc, either for cash, some cash or charity (just gimme food and I'm happy kind of charity)

Back