Corey Taylor's Voice

That Guy

Platinum Member
From Iowa to Volume 3 to All Hope Is Lost there is a definate change. Why? I have heard all of the stories about Corey blowing his voice out, alcoholism, lack of fitness and vocal routines etc. Why has Corey's screams gone back to gutteral?

Volume 3 made me cringe when Corey pushed his voice. It's as if it was blown. I love the gutteral. Why was Volume 3 lacking in depth and All Hope Is Lost back on track? It's as if Volume 3 is the red headed step child vocally for Corey.

Maybe he needed time for his voice to "rehab". After all he does scream.

Maybe he needed time for his voice to "rehab". After all he does scream.

I was thinking that but he has been touring non-stop with Stone Sour. I don't know all the little details about his activities I just found it interesting how it changed.

I was thinking that but he has been touring non-stop with Stone Sour. I don't know all the little details about his activities I just found it interesting how it changed.

I don't listen to much of stone sour but are most of their songs like through the glass or are they more hardcore?

I don't listen to much of stone sour but are most of their songs like through the glass or are they more hardcore?

Through Glass & Zzyzx Rd. are ballads, the rest are heavier.

Does he scream with SS?

Yes, just not as steadily as he does with Slipknot. The vocals are based around actual singing with spurts of aggressiveness. It's really amazing the transformation he makes between the two bands.

Oh i see. It just sounds like his voice needed a rest.

This video is weird, it's from 2009.... It's almost as though he can't actually scream anymore.

I heard he fucked his voice up just from touring so much.

i saw Corey live with SlipKnoT in France during July. I was expecting Corey not to be able to scream and to be gasping for breath all the time, like in their live album 9.0 Live, and for that reason i wasnt expecting much from him. I saw them at a festival so other bands were playing aswell. I had gone to the festival basically to see Gojira (they were amazing) and i was surprised because SlipKnoT played heavy songs and Corey managed to scream all the way through. Joey's drumming was pretty cool aswell, but the double bass got kinda sloppy after a while.
Of course the show had nothing to do with the "old" SlipKnoT from the Disasterpieces DVD, but it was cool because i wasnt expecting Corey to be able to scream during Eeyore or People = Sh*t like he used to.
BTW i still dont get why the 2 dudes pounding on the percussions are on stage, u can only hear like when everything stops =P i think it just adds to the crazy atmosphere, because it is amazing to see the guys rising up like 2 meters above the ground on their drums (i think their drums are on like giant springs or something =P).

Back