Ringing Toms

Shutter Bugg

Hi all, I have a problem with my 3 toms (small, big, floor) ringing for about 1-2 seconds after I hit them, I have heard of a few things you can do to fix this like taping an upside down 'T' onto the toms to stop the ringing.

Does this actually work? Or do I have to just upgrade my heads (I am using stock heads for a Basix Kit, and yes I know they are terrible I'm just trying to get them to sound decent.)

Hi all, I have a problem with my 3 toms (small, big, floor) ringing for about 1-2 seconds after I hit them, I have heard of a few things you can do to fix this like taping an upside down 'T' onto the toms to stop the ringing.

Does this actually work? Or do I have to just upgrade my heads (I am using stock heads for a Basix Kit, and yes I know they are terrible I'm just trying to get them to sound decent.)

If my toms ONLY resonated for 1-2 seconds after striking, I'd be very sad.

I love them to fly wide open.

There are lots of ways to 'fix' that - double ply heads, gel, tape with a touch of kleenex in the middle, a ring of an old head, the Accordian tape fold thing.

Tuning is as personal as color / finish selection on the drums.

Me? I like single ply heads, and I let them just sing. You may not like that, or it may not work in the room you're in.

-K

There are lots of ways to 'fix' that - double ply heads, gel, tape with a touch of kleenex in the middle, a ring of an old head, the Accordian tape fold thing.

This. ^^^

But it's also worth noting that stock heads for a Basix kit are gonna be pretty "basix" indeed. When you can afford it, a head upgrade should give you some noticeably better results.

If this set is only for practice, I would suggest not using tape. It gets messy.

Investing in the plastic rings, moon gel, sticky tack, etc would be a nicer alternative.

If this kit is going to be performing, don't cut the ring unless you want to sound like you are hitting wet cardboard.

This. ^^^

But it's also worth noting that stock heads for a Basix kit are gonna be pretty "basix" indeed. When you can afford it, a head upgrade should give you some noticeably better results.

YES!

_/\_/\_/\_/\_

You get a different effect as you pull the accordion pleats apart and have more tape on the head in-between them.

-K

Ring v Resonance / Decay

Me too. Toms are SUPPOSED to ring!

I think 'ring' and 'resonate' are very different things, tho.

To me, 'ring' is that not-so pleasant overtone (better: after tone) that occurs with some heads, in some rooms, in some situations.

Resonate - that long decay... THAT is glorious.

I will often impart various levels of 'ring' on my snare. For me, a dead snare is next stop David Foster 80's Ballad. I like a bit if 'ring' on the snare to offer definition and pop.

On toms, for me, its all resonance.

-K

The upside down T is only for the northern hemisphere. Down in Oz you would need to put the T straight up. Kidding. Tape will only deaden the toms. Start off with new batter heads, the top ones, and check out some tuning videos on YouTube and your drums will improve 100 percent. Good luck.

When I was much younger I really had trouble tuning the drums. But now after I came back to drumming after a career in mechanical engineering I think I understand it on a different level now. I am not saying I am expert at all, I just have a different insight to tuning now (End of disclaimer).

If a head/ diaphragm moves in a uniform pattern that is symmetrical and about the center, up and down like a speaker movement, you will have resonance. If the head/ diaphragm moves in a wobbling uneven pattern from side to side, and not from the center you will have the ringing. A thinner head will be easier to move from side to side because it does not have the structure to resist the movement, and it takes less energy to move in the side to side pattern. Also if you tune the head very high, it would be more difficult to let the head move from the center, because it takes more energy then the side to side pattern.

The heavier head will be able to resist the movements from side to side better. Adding tape, mufflers, or gel to the head adds its resistance to move in that side to side pattern. If you do not have the heads tuned evenly it too will also cause the side to side pattern of the diaphragm movement. If you tune the resonant heads loose, it will not ring as much, because now the heads can move from the center easier. A lot of drums have trouble tuning the resonant heads loose because the lugs fall out. Many drummers use lock tight, rubber washers, or tight-screw to keep the lugs from falling out.

A denser wood will allow more energy from the batter head to be transmitted to the resonant head. It takes a lot more energy to move the head in the symmetrical pattern then the side to side pattern. Simply because there is more mass in the head to move from the center then the sides.

In conclusion the ring is the side to side movement of the head/ diaphragm. You want to eliminate that side to side movement by, thicker heads, loosely tuned resonant heads, or mufflers to the heads, and evenly tuned heads.

Last edited:
I think that the biggest problem that beginners have with tuning is that they are trying to recreate the processed drum sound that is on their favorite album.
Drums don't sound like that live.
Recording engineers alter the sound of drums when they record them.
A drum is supposed to have some ring.
Beginners don't tighten their heads enough and they put tape on their drums.
This makes the drums sound flat and lifeless.
A drumhead should have a moderate amount of tension on it.
The resonant head should be at the same pitch or slightly higher than the batter head for the best sound.
Don't judge the sound of your drums from close range. Have someone else play them while you stand about 10 feet away. This will give you the real sound of your drums.

evolving_machine posted a very technical and interesting account of how a drum reacts when it is struck.
Beginners should be sure and play their drums near the center of the head to reduce the action that causes excessive ring. Your heads should show stick marks mostly in the center.

Back