What Pedals and Shoes Should I Buy?

Baskoro

Thanks for comin' in here, guys.

So, I made this thread because I'm gonna sell my pedals and am planning to buy a new one. And I'm also looking for some right shoes for me.

About my previous pedals, the body of the pedals are too heavy, (FYI, they're some cheap Gibraltar pedals, and I forgot the name) and I'm stuck on playing 200-220 bpm songs. (I'm a metalhead! :D \m/)

I'm looking for direct drive, double pedals, but this is the problem:
I'm looking for the cheap ones, and the one with good quality, too.

And as I said, I'm also wondering of buying new shoes, and of course, I need the cheap and good ones. :)

Gonna be looking your suggestions, and gonna thank you guys so much for them.

Thanks a lot,

Baskoro

As for shoes, go with whatever is most comfortable on your feet. I've played in gym shoes for 30 years, I prefer New Balance.

As for the pedal are you looking for two singles (as in you have two bass drums) or a double pedal? Either way your DD choices are Yamaha, Trick, Axis, Pearl and Mapex. Just a matter of which one fits your style and price better. Check on e-bay for a used set. Keep in mind the bass pedal is the most used and abused piece on your kit. You'd be better off saving up for a good pedal listed above than just getting a cheap one.

You will usually get what you pay for, so looking for cheap gear will get you precisely that: Cheap gear.

If you're on a serious budget, buying used is going to be your best bet (sites like eBay, Craigslist, QXL, etc, depending on where in the world you live).

Direct Drive pedals also have a very specific feel, and they all feel pretty different, so make sure you try out different ones at your local music store (or something like that) before you buy, or you might get a nasty surprise. The direct drive pedals I see getting the most positive feedback are Axis pedals, Trick Dominators and Pearl Demon Drives, but there are a few other options out there. I know Yamaha and Gibraltar offer direct drive pedals, and there are probably a few others as well. Like I said though, definitely try before you buy.

As for shoes, you'll have to find what suits you. I personally prefer Converse All Stars because of the thin soles, but others prefer running shoes, wrestling shoes barefoot, socks etc. Gene Hoglan plays in combat boots (and often with ankle weights as well), which I reckon should earn him some sort of medal.

As for shoes, go with whatever is most comfortable on your feet. I've played in gym shoes for 30 years, I prefer New Balance.

As for the pedal are you looking for two singles (as in you have two bass drums) or a double pedal? Either way your DD choices are Yamaha, Trick, Axis, Pearl and Mapex. Just a matter of which one fits your style and price better. Check on e-bay for a used set. Keep in mind the bass pedal is the most used and abused piece on your kit. You'd be better off saving up for a good pedal listed above than just getting a cheap one.

+1 couldnt say it better! Its all about taste and to learn ur body to use ur gear.

you might want to get axis or trick.... i'm using speed cobras with a 3rd party direct drive linkage, but when it comes down to it, it's mostly about technique..

popular shoes amongst quicker double kick players are "puma speedcats" i think they're called

speedcats.jpg

As to shoes I'm using Dreaks and they're fine. I was playing barefoot at first, now I'm constantly switching between barefoot and Dreaks, for more practice variation. Footwear is good for more volume/punch, and some stuff is easier with footwear (and vice versa), e.g. toe-toe (at least for me).

I'm considering trying db drum shoes as Tim Waterson is preferring them and they are affordable. They're designed to be used without socks.
http://www.drumshoes.com/

Yeah you're right, "saving up". Anyway, I just said, "cheap ones", because I was afraid that good quality double pedals out there are somewhat costly, and I was afraid that my budget won't be enough. That's all actually. But thanks for your suggestions anyways. I also agree that it doesn't have to always be the gears, but also I need to adjust myself. That's a good statement, mate!

you might want to get axis or trick.... i'm using speed cobras with a 3rd party direct drive linkage, but when it comes down to it, it's mostly about technique..

popular shoes amongst quicker double kick players are "puma speedcats" i think they're called

Well, I'll try find it, since I live outside of US.

Direct Drive pedals also have a very specific feel, and they all feel pretty different, so make sure you try out different ones at your local music store (or something like that) before you buy, or you might get a nasty surprise. The direct drive pedals I see getting the most positive feedback are Axis pedals, Trick Dominators and Pearl Demon Drives, but there are a few other options out there. I know Yamaha and Gibraltar offer direct drive pedals, and there are probably a few others as well. Like I said though, definitely try before you buy.

Yeah, you're right about what you said, "try before you buy"... I did try on my pedals when I could only reach up to 180 bpm, and at that time I didn't use ankle motions and swivels... So yeah, that just brought me a regret until now.

As to shoes I'm using Dreaks and they're fine. I was playing barefoot at first, now I'm constantly switching between barefoot and Dreaks, for more practice variation. Footwear is good for more volume/punch, and some stuff is easier with footwear (and vice versa), e.g. toe-toe (at least for me).

I'm considering trying db drum shoes as Tim Waterson is preferring them and they are affordable. They're designed to be used without socks.
http://www.drumshoes.com/

Well, well, well (How many times did I say "well" just now? hahaha), I'll try those, too, then. Just like Naigerwon said, "try before you buy".

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, guys. Those were really helpful, I didn't expect so many replies here. Thanks a lot...

Back