why are used DTXplorers so $$?

yammieoaks

I live in Vancouver, BC and Yamaha DTXplorers are $700 + tax new. Roland HD-1s are the same price new.

I've seen used DTXplorers for at lowest $600. What's the deal with such high resale value or are these sellers just ripping people off?

Also, what's the deal with a Roland HD-1 being the same price as the DTXplorer?! I know in the US, HD-1s can go for US500! My guess is the HD-1 is overpriced due to the smaller living spaces in this city, but why else is beyond me.

Out here they go for $599 + tax new... I think people are just trying to make a buck...

well, typically in Canada things are pricier with Customs duties, taxes...but $700 + tax new and selling for $600 used AT BEST is still a ripoff to me unless i'm unaware of e-kits not losing value like other instruments

I live in Vancouver, BC and Yamaha DTXplorers are $700 + tax new. Roland HD-1s are the same price new.

I've seen used DTXplorers for at lowest $600. What's the deal with such high resale value or are these sellers just ripping people off?

Also, what's the deal with a Roland HD-1 being the same price as the DTXplorer?! I know in the US, HD-1s can go for US500! My guess is the HD-1 is overpriced due to the smaller living spaces in this city, but why else is beyond me.

Hi There,
I hope I can offer a bit of insight. (I am in no way affiliated with Roland or Yamaha)

Roland products, in general, are a bit $ inflated, you do pay for the name, and you get a very high quality product(usually). In the case of the HD-1, in addition to Roland's normal inflation you are also getting a "mesh" snare. That alone doesn't make it worth the price! When A/B comparing e-kits especially Roland/Yamaha I feel Yamaha gives you a lot more for your money. Yamaha also offers quality that meets or exceeds Roland's. (yes I am a dealer, so I have seen what goes out and what comes back) I suspect Roland knows this too, as they recently lowered the prices on the TD-4&TD-9 lines. For every 10 DTXplorer's I have sold, I have sold maybe 1 HD-1? And which come back time and time again? Not the DTXplorer or any in the Yamaha lineup.

That said, the DTXplorer has a lot more to offer than the HD-1. More triggers(yes there is an additional in on the kick tower), more kits, more sounds, more flexibility with placement of pads and much more. It also comes with everything you need to get up and running, including a real kick pedal and tower vs the HD-1's fixed foot switches. For an inexpensive entry level e-kit the DTXplorer has a lot to offer. Don't take my word for it A/B the two and you will see. If the "mesh" style head that Roland offers is the reason for staying away from Yamaha, know that you can add any of Roland's Mesh pads to the DTXplorer.
As far as people trying to sell the DTXplorer at 600.00 US it had better be brand new that is the MAP price on that kit. I wouldn't pay anywhere near that if used. Used in good shape, $300-350 US ballpark. I have seen them as low as 200 US in great shape.

Hope this helped....
Happy Drummin'!

Hi There,
I hope I can offer a bit of insight. (I am in no way affiliated with Roland or Yamaha)

Roland products, in general, are a bit $ inflated, you do pay for the name, and you get a very high quality product(usually). In the case of the HD-1, in addition to Roland's normal inflation you are also getting a "mesh" snare. That alone doesn't make it worth the price! When A/B comparing e-kits especially Roland/Yamaha I feel Yamaha gives you a lot more for your money. Yamaha also offers quality that meets or exceeds Roland's. (yes I am a dealer, so I have seen what goes out and what comes back) I suspect Roland knows this too, as they recently lowered the prices on the TD-4&TD-9 lines. For every 10 DTXplorer's I have sold, I have sold maybe 1 HD-1? And which come back time and time again? Not the DTXplorer or any in the Yamaha lineup.

That said, the DTXplorer has a lot more to offer than the HD-1. More triggers(yes there is an additional in on the kick tower), more kits, more sounds, more flexibility with placement of pads and much more. It also comes with everything you need to get up and running, including a real kick pedal and tower vs the HD-1's fixed foot switches. For an inexpensive entry level e-kit the DTXplorer has a lot to offer. Don't take my word for it A/B the two and you will see. If the "mesh" style head that Roland offers is the reason for staying away from Yamaha, know that you can add any of Roland's Mesh pads to the DTXplorer.
As far as people trying to sell the DTXplorer at 600.00 US it had better be brand new that is the MAP price on that kit. I wouldn't pay anywhere near that if used. Used in good shape, $300-350 US ballpark. I have seen them as low as 200 US in great shape.

Hope this helped....
Happy Drummin'!
thanks for the input. knowing i can use mesh heads helps since my main goal is quietness. i'm leaning towards Yamaha as it sounds better aside from its capabilities.

From my experience, the HD-1 actually isn't terribly good. I know a guy who had one and whilst it was competent, the fixed nature of the kit was frustrating, especially as I didn't feel that the pedals were up to much.

With that said, I think that the ideal combination is Roland heads and the rest Yamaha. I have an old DTXpress II at my parents' house that gets occasional use and it really isn't bad, especially considering that the design is probably pushing nine years old! Everything works as the day I got it. The only complaints are the hi-hat pedal and the fact that I'd prefer a mesh pad for the snare in particular. The stock sounds aren't bad and it can be integrated with DAW software reasonably easily. Of course, electric cymbals have moved on since then, but the ones on my old Yamaha really weren't terrible.

I've played the top-end Roland kits too (the TD-20 and TD-12) and they were high-quality kits, but also very expensive. I really think that the lower end of the electronic market should belong to Yamaha - I really think they make the better low end kit and as you move up the chain, personal preference begins to settle in more.

From my experience, the HD-1 actually isn't terribly good. I know a guy who had one and whilst it was competent, the fixed nature of the kit was frustrating, especially as I didn't feel that the pedals were up to much.

With that said, I think that the ideal combination is Roland heads and the rest Yamaha. I have an old DTXpress II at my parents' house that gets occasional use and it really isn't bad, especially considering that the design is probably pushing nine years old! Everything works as the day I got it. The only complaints are the hi-hat pedal and the fact that I'd prefer a mesh pad for the snare in particular. The stock sounds aren't bad and it can be integrated with DAW software reasonably easily. Of course, electric cymbals have moved on since then, but the ones on my old Yamaha really weren't terrible.

I've played the top-end Roland kits too (the TD-20 and TD-12) and they were high-quality kits, but also very expensive. I really think that the lower end of the electronic market should belong to Yamaha - I really think they make the better low end kit and as you move up the chain, personal preference begins to settle in more.

Couldnt agree more. And IMOP yamaha does own the entry to mid market! Well put!

Hang in there, you'll find a better deal. Just keep and eye on UsedVancouver, Kijiji and Craigslist. I just bought a DTXplorer in Victoria for $350 incl. an extra cymbal.

Don't discount Yamaha's top end stuff (DTX900/700)...every bit as good as (if not better than) anything out there...and more reasonabe to boot...

Don't discount Yamaha's top end stuff (DTX900/700)...every bit as good as (if not better than) anything out there...and more reasonabe to boot...

Not discounting it for a second. I generally prefer Yamaha modules but Roland pads. I've played a TD-12 a lot and I liked the pads but generally hated the module. The TD-20 is a scaled-up TD-12. It wasn't bad as such but it was sometimes quite fiddly if you want to get really involved.

Here is my opinion, Roland and Yamaha both have incredible top of the line electronic kits. When you start paying around $5000 for either a Roland or a Yamaha kit, you should be happy with whatever you get. My preference is the Yamaha DTX900 - The silicon pads actually feel like your playing a real drum set, as opposed to the mesh pads of a Roland kit. The difference in feel may not mean much for you, but for me (an acoustic drummer of 16 years) I wanted to still feel like I was playing a "real" drum set. The mesh pads have always been much to bouncy for my liking....but that's only because I'm used to an acoustic drum set where the sticks sink into the head a little.

Also in my opinion...the Yamaha modules almost always SOUND better than the roland kits. I think the fact that Yamaha actually makes some amazing acoustic sounding drums says a lot about why their electronic kits sounds so realistic....it's because they sample some of their own drums!

If you want to see the Yamaha DTX900 in action, I posted a video with actual high quality audio recordings of the drums in action at www.electronicdrumblog.com

I bought mine for 600 euros. I think 600 euros is fairly good price for that kind of kit. It has some thing which are not so good but then again, the better Roland ones are more expensive than DTXplorer. DTXplorer is a old kit. They have plenty of new better kits for example DTX950k, DTXpress etc which are more expensive than DTXplorer but still they are better.

Back