Stewart Copeland

i know copeland did the original burn 4 you song by the police, by has anyone seen the live performance of that song with omar hakim (its on drummerworld under omar hakim.. is it recorded or is that the only clip i can see of omar hakim play burn for you? is there more more omar hakim stuff being recorded with the police?

stewart copeland drums well on alot of the songs ... for instance Message in a bottle... but i think omar hakim did better with the police then copeland

i know copeland did the original burn 4 you song by the police, by has anyone seen the live performance of that song with omar hakim (its on drummerworld under omar hakim.. is it recorded or is that the only clip i can see of omar hakim play burn for you? is there more more omar hakim stuff being recorded with the police?

stewart copeland drums well on alot of the songs ... for instance Message in a bottle... but i think omar hakim did better with the police then copeland

as far as i know omar never played with the police.. the concert burn for you, is from, is from the first concert sting did alone. called bring on the night.
and btw copeland IS the police !! :D hes the best

Just wondering do you know of any videos/dvd's of which copeland appears on apart from the obviouse police related stuff?

Hopefully MD fest thats commin in Feb 2007...
Also check out the RumbleFish soundtrack....

How is it that I've never commented on the Stewart Copeland thread? He was my primary influence when I first started drumming, and I know I am not nearly alone in that. My first pro-level kit was a Tama Imperialstar, which is what Copeland used for a while with The Police. I'm sure Tama sold a lot of Imperialstar kits based on this association.

Here's a guy who is just a great musician, who absorbs music from different places and genres, churns it around in his brain, and translates it into his own unique and innovative style. He's one of those guys who has such a distinctive sound, you recognize it immediately when you hear it. And yes, he was integral to the success of The Police. The band would never have existed without him.

Re: Police Reunion

Police reunion rumors reaching fever pitch
Wed Jan 3, 2007 5:56 PM ET

By Jonathan Cohen

NEW YORK (Billboard) - Rumors are swirling that the Police will reunite for 2007 dates in England and the United States, which would be the rock trio's first since disbanding in 1986.

Sources told Billboard.com the reports -- in the British press -- were legitimate, but they would not publicly comment until final details are nearer to completion.

This year marks the 30th anniversary of the release of "Roxanne," the single that broke the Police in the United States. In a statement issued last month, A&M Records said, "It is our intention to mark the anniversary by doing something special with the band's catalog of songs. Needless to say, everyone is hopeful the band will support our plans and while early discussions have taken place, nothing has been decided."

Sources say in addition to DVD releases, A&M is planning another multi-disc collection in the vein of 1993's "Message in a Box," which featured the band's complete studio recordings and a handful of rarities.

A Police reunion has been the concert industry's dream for two decades, as it is believed the band could play stadiums internationally should it choose to reunite. But besides an impromptu set at Sting's 1992 wedding to Trudie Styler, the Police's only other post-breakup performance was in celebration of its 2003 induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

And while Sting has repeatedly expressed reluctance at reuniting, drummer Stewart Copeland and guitarist Andy Summers have kept the flame alive. This summer, Summers told Billboard he was certain the group could have continued past its 1983 commercial peak with "Synchronicity."

"The more rational approach would have been, 'OK, Sting, go make a solo record, and let's get back together in two or three years,'" he said. "I'm certain we could have done that. Of course we could have. We were definitely not in a creative dry space. We could have easily carried on, and we could probably still be there. That wasn't to be our fate. It went in another way. I regret we never paid it off with a last tour."

Reuters/Billboard

The band would never have existed without him.

That goes without saying since it was Stewart who put the band together in 1977. However, Sting was also a big part of it, from what Stewart says, he brought most of the musical ideas to the table. I see it as a whole, great musicians came together to make great music. The Police was Andy, Stewart and Sting and would not have been what is was/is any other way - one of the biggest bands ever!

My girlfriend just bought me the Synchronicity Concert Dvd for my birthday and I'm loving it (and her of course.) I just dig the way Copeland looks high and hyperactive on that kit!

Last edited:
That goes without saying since it was Stewart who put the band together in 1977. However, Sting was the soul (so to say) of the band since, from what Stewart says, he brought most of the musical ideas to the table. I see it as a whole, great musicians came together to make great music. The Police was Andy, Stewart and Sting and would not have been what is was/is any other way - one of the biggest bands ever!

My girlfriend just bought me the Synchronicity Concert Dvd for my birthday and I'm loving it (and her of course.) I just dig the way Copeland looks high and hyperactive on that kit!

That is a fantastic dvd. I can't remember which song exactly, but i remember this great part where copeland is over on his percussion table thing, playing away, and then has to leap back over onto the kit, in time, to continue the song. It cracked me up.

That is a fantastic dvd. I can't remember which song exactly, but i remember this great part where copeland is over on his percussion table thing, playing away, and then has to leap back over onto the kit, in time, to continue the song. It cracked me up.

If I'm not mistaken that occurs twice, I laughed also. The other funny/weird thing is Sting's trampoline to "pogo" on his side of the stage.

Have any of you seen the Stewart Copeland documentary "Everyone Stares. The Police Inside Out". It's great and really goes though about how the Police really were. Very interesting.

Have any of you seen the Stewart Copeland documentary "Everyone Stares. The Police Inside Out". It's great and really goes though about how the Police really were. Very interesting.

That DVD is great! My drum teacher has had it now for far too long now that you mention it. I really enjoyed seeing that footage from the early days. Now if they would just put out some older concerts on DVD...that would be awesome.

That goes without saying since it was Stewart who put the band together in 1977. However, Sting was also a big part of it, from what Stewart says, he brought most of the musical ideas to the table. I see it as a whole, great musicians came together to make great music. The Police was Andy, Stewart and Sting and would not have been what is was/is any other way - one of the biggest bands ever!
Indeed, Sting was definitely the primary songwriter. In the documentary "Everyone Stares," Copeland himself acknowledges Sting's brilliance in this area. And as you said, it was Copeland that formed the band, and I was alluding to that fact with my comment, but also that he was integral in shaping the overall sound of The Police.

If I'm not mistaken that occurs twice, I laughed also. The other funny/weird thing is Sting's trampoline to "pogo" on his side of the stage.
Ha! I had that video too. I had forgotten all about the trampoline. Sting also wore that crazy getup from the Synchronicity 2 video....with all the tattered, colorful ribbons and the tail.

That DVD is great! My drum teacher has had it now for far too long now that you mention it. I really enjoyed seeing that footage from the early days. Now if they would just put out some older concerts on DVD...that would be awesome.
There are some gems to be found on YouTube. Here's a 30 minute clip of a 1979 Police concert from Beat Club.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf-s2XIw7vk

Additionally, this user has posted a bunch of clips from another '79 concert at Hatfield Polytechnic.

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=maxider

(The crowd is more into it at the Hatfield concert.)

Indeed, Sting was definitely the primary songwriter. In the documentary "Everyone Stares," Copeland himself acknowledges Sting's brilliance in this area. And as you said, it was Copeland that formed the band, and I was alluding to that fact with my comment, but also that he was integral in shaping the overall sound of The Police.

Absolutely. There is this show over here which goes on at about 00:30 on the franco-german channel (Arte) in which two artists of the same kind (two actors, two musicians, other...) are put together to talk about their art in general, their careers and many other stuff and not too long ago they got together Stewart Copeland and an English violinist (sorry I can not remember his name.)

They were in L.A. dining in Stewart's favorite restaurant and the violinist asked Stewart what he thought about Sting. He answered that even though they had a hard time getting on, he does consider Sting as a friend and that he will always be grateful for the way he changed Andy and his lives. He said many other things concerning Sting, and he always spoke of him with great respect. Stewart came off as a nice, fun guy. I was really happy to see that show.

Disco Stu - thank you very much for the links. I am watching the show from the Beat Club. This is great!! Much better footage than I had expected. Thanks Stu!

Back