Evans black hydrolics.

Tone-free.

I have them currently. Coincidently my school drums have them too.

They arent that bad, but i would defnitley recomend something else. They are sorta "dead-ish". As in no over tones. They sound fine, but they just die almost immediatley after you hit it.

JoshIsaces, do not listen to everyone saying its "tone free."

Try them out for yourselves at the guitar center or some music store. They really are not that terrible.

If you watch my two latest videos ive posted you can hear how they sound. The set being used is my schools, and its a yamaha Stage Custom Birch, with Hydraulic heads (obviously).

well it all depends on how u like your toms to sound they give a VERY short sound no ringing at all but ive heard bad things about recording with them they sound like your hitting cardboard boxes when recording is what i heard....Good luck!

JoshIsaces, do not listen to everyone saying its "tone free."

Try them out for yourselves at the guitar center or some music store. They really are not that terrible.

If you watch my two latest videos ive posted you can hear how they sound. The set being used is my schools, and its a yamaha Stage Custom Birch, with Hydraulic heads (obviously).

Trying things out is always a good idea.

But I can't help but wonder at those who might debate the sound of this wood vs. that wood, agonize over what drums to buy, pay lots of money for a beautiful-sounding set . . . and then put hydraulics on them.

Kinda like insisting on a "virgin" bass drum and then stuffing a futon in it.

I just figure if you pay good money for all that nice tone you ought to let some of it out.

Last edited:
I bought aquarian studio x heads a while ago, and they aren't great. They're okay, but their not great. I'm not in need of new heads yet. I'm just trying to figure out what heads I'm gonna get next, and I don't want to make a mistake in choice.

And I did try the hydrolics out, but when I tried them, they were out of tune, so they sounded weird.

Has anybody ever tried ec2's on a tama rockstar? Do they sound good?

Last edited:
Hydraulic heads are on the dead sounding side. They aren't bad because they sound dead. That's what they are designed to sound like. If that's what your after, they will do the job. I use Aquarian Performance 2's. They are also a dead soundig head. I use them because that is what I want to hear. It doesn't matter if you have the most resonant drums or whatever. If you want a muffled, short or a quick decaying sound... so be it. I like them low and short. On the other hand, I also like round open sounds but for what I mostly do, I need em low and quick.

Last edited:
Back