Travis Barker

i think too many people judge travis on his drum solos which he did with blink, however if you listen to some of his grooves in blinks songs they are amazing. others say ah hes just good in his music type, he can also play hip-hop and jazz and also marching drums preety gd too. plus some people have made out speed to be just something that dont matter, ' ah hes just fast' well that makes him goof then doesnt it! you would see guys like chad smith ever go that fast because they cant, im not saying that fast is everything but it is a skill to be admired. Travis has influenced me so much just beacuse i like what he does, ive listened to other drummers such as steve gadd etc and they dont do the same for me as a good punk rock beat does.

RossB15 said:
i think too many people judge travis on his drum solos which he did with blink, however if you listen to some of his grooves in blinks songs they are amazing. others say ah hes just good in his music type, he can also play hip-hop and jazz and also marching drums preety gd too. plus some people have made out speed to be just something that dont matter, ' ah hes just fast' well that makes him goof then doesnt it! you would see guys like chad smith ever go that fast because they cant, im not saying that fast is everything but it is a skill to be admired. Travis has influenced me so much just beacuse i like what he does, ive listened to other drummers such as steve gadd etc and they dont do the same for me as a good punk rock beat does.

Um wow where do I start? I know this is all your opinion but come on kid. You sound so ignorant when you say "you wouldn't see guys like chad smith ever go that fast because they cant" Do you know what you're talking about here. In so many more ways Chad Smith has Barker beat in so many aspects of drumming. If you're gonna talk about styles of playing chad plays funk, punk, country, and he probably can play marching. You have to be opened minded. Anybody can be fast. If i worked on it every day I could get as fast as Travis. And if i do, what do i accomplish? nothing. And you're saying steve gadd doesnt do the same for you like a good punk beat does? I think youll mature over time and this will change and youll appreaciate the pioneers in the drumming world. But hey, its your opinion

Re: Travis Barker solo

thanks, i thought you were talkin about the one on ocdp.com but i cant see that youtube vid right now since i am at work.. ill veiw it at home and let you know. thanks

peace

yea i wouldnt go as far as to say that chad smith cant go as fast at barker... who knows, im sure he has amazing chops too....but i do understand what you mean when you say you enjoy just a good ole barker style beat as do i... but i also enjoy and creative and catchy beat.. like alot of steve Gadds work i adore b/c its so catchy and different..

has anyone ever taken the time to read an interveiw with Travis Barker...? obviously i have since i am a big fan, but its intresting because he talks about growing up adoring all these same people like: Steve Gadd, Chambers, Cobham, Copeland, Ginger Baker, John Bonham, Keith moon and others. he talks of his drum teachers making him play Cobham stuff instead of Van Halen that he wanted to play.. the only reason i say this is because alot of his fans do make themselves appear ignorant b/c of what they say about him "beign the best ever", and if you asked the man himself what he though hed probably be so increadably humble, and just start talkin about his personal idols rather than his success... so maybe his huge fans should actually take some time and see where Travis Barker found his motivation and check that out too.. and maybe youll get some respect from the other people on here that think your ignorant and just infactualed...

i personally dont think your ignorant just a little unexposed... as i stated im probably one of the biggest fans if not the biggest fan of Barker on this forum, but i know there are better players... he can still be your favorite, just explore other pioneers before making claims.

pdp 9091 said:
If you're gonna talk about styles of playing chad plays funk, punk, country, and he probably can play marching. You have to be opened minded. Anybody can be fast.
Im not defending travis barker, but I think you need to think about what youre saying. yes anyone can be fast, but anyone can play all those styles as well if you work at it enough. And 3 genres that are similar, one that he just plays like the funk/punk (yes the country), is not all that impressive to me. And we all saw Travis Barker play country, so he can do that, and I guarantee he can play funk just as much as you can guarantee Chad Smith can play marching music.

hey pdp 9091 i was just sayin that basically i enjoy listening to travis more than the likes of steve gadd, u say when i mature ot watever i will change my opinion, i dont think i will, i have watched so many other drummers and love their stuff. im not out saying travis is the best out or anything coz i know he isnt and far from it. though its just so many people give him stick on this forum and why the guy has done his job with every band he has been in. although his solo aint the best ever, wud u not do it to have all those gils scremin for ya!

Yes pdp 9091 you are right, I saw chad play just as fast as travis at the guitar center drum off a couple years back. But you said if you would practice every day you could be as fast as Travis. How do you know this? Have you tried it? No, obviously not. Moreover, you said it wouldn't accomplish anything. How so? I sense a ton of jealously here. Don't bring in Steve Gadd here or any other drummer to help you "prove a point." You can go to the easy escape by calling me ignorant or whatever, but I think you are being a little ignorant here. Travis is good and that is something you can't deny.

P.S.Travis was chosen out of all the drummers to play in the "super band" at the COUNTRY awards.

travis barker has started a revolution.... like it or not.... look at all the teenage kids who dress like him.....5 years from now every other rock drummer will be holding their arms over their head or playing with their shirt off or with a mohawk......crazy idea huh? so were The Beatles, and the people who even dared to dream of flying in airplanes...

I know this isn't about Chad Smith. But Have you guys ever listened to whole chili pepperes album? He can and does match Travis' speed. I actually think that Travis' drumming on the self titled album is great. It's technical and I love how creative he gets with beats and fills but Cahd Smith may not show off as much but he can still play insanley fast solid drum fills.

DWDrummer said:
P.S.Travis was chosen out of all the drummers to play in the "super band" at the COUNTRY awards.

Did you see the clips? He was awful. We had a post on it over on the general discussion lounge. I've posted here before and I'm not going to re-itterate my stance on Travis.

stevefty said:
I know this isn't about Chad Smith. But Have you guys ever listened to whole chili pepperes album? He can and does match Travis' speed. I actually think that Travis' drumming on the self titled album is great. It's technical and I love how creative he gets with beats and fills but Cahd Smith may not show off as much but he can still play insanley fast solid drum fills.
i agree. i'm always surprised by chad's speed. and i'm always surprised by how funky travis can be. he is a very creative drummer indeed.

stevefty said:

i really enjoyed hs drumming on the untitled cd aswell...its very creative and teastful... lots of cool fills and sounds.. he used lots of different drums to get those cool sounds.. i really love the drums on track 10 "always"

and PS: can we not turn this thread into a ontopic disscussion of Travis... 90% of this thread is people bashing him and then his fans supporting him.. this seems a little off topic and redundant.. can we not just talk about Travis's drumming in a more ontopic manner and not just "he sucks" "hes the best" spam. for example disscussing his sound, technique, stage presence... what ever..

peace

brittc89 said:
that he just plays like the funk/punk (yes the country), is not all that impressive to me. And we all saw Travis Barker play country, so he can do that, and I guarantee he can play funk just as much as you can guarantee Chad Smith can play marching music.

OOOH! A Chad Smith vs. Travis Barker country drumming thread...very interesting.

Smith's drumming on the new Dixie Chicks album is way more believable than that video with Barker playing for Deeeeeewight Yoakum and co. Still, Smith's 'country' drumming sounded suspiciously like RHCP drumming, at lower volumes ;-)

DWDrummer said:
travis barker has started a revolution.........5 years from now every other rock drummer will be holding their arms over their head or playing with their shirt off or with a mohawk......crazy idea huh?

Uhhh, I hate to break it to you, but drummers have been doing this well before Travis Barker. There is nothing revolutionary about tatoos, mohawks, shirtless crazy drummers with flailing arms...

mediocrefunkybeat-

there is a reason travis gets paid to play drums every day and you are sitting in front of a computer typing away and bashing on him and his fans.

it just doesn't make sense... he is a professional.......how can you critique?

him playing that country beat was excellent..... perfect volume..

Re: Travis Barker playing country

these posts make me sick.

this is what I have learned after reading these rediculous posts

1.so now it is wrong to feel the music
2.you can't make any other gestures besides playing music like a statue

That is why Travis is such an idol to so many drummers today. He is doing something different than a lot of people. Most of you are just afraid of change. But of course who is going to listen to me. He reminds me of Buddy Rich in his expressions (but of course Buddy Rich and Ed Shaughnessey (spelling error, I know) smiled more...) I'm not saying they have similar motions but they both FEEL the music...

Travis is great at drumming.

Here are some other facts to take in

1. Travis Barker is not Steve Gadd
2. Just because he is not Steve Gadd, doesn't mean he's not great/good whatever.

DWDrummer said:
1.so now it is wrong to feel the music
2.you can't make any other gestures besides playing music like a statue
No, you can make flamboyant gestures and things like that when it is appropriate to the style of music, like when youre playing in your wildly successful pop punk band. But he simply was out of place, movement wise, in his playing. For instance, I dont care how much Beethovens 5th Symphony makes you wanna ROCK OUT, if you are in the London Philharmonic and you start banging your head and flailin your arms like a madman while playing the mariba part, I will guarantee that you are gonna get fired. Does that make any sense?

yes I get that point thanks bro

i hope we can continue "healthy arguments" like that it really helps

but, I believe that the 1920's era of music has ended, and we are in the year 2006, travis is not going to be playing a jazz piece in front of 10,000 screaming fans, he is playing rock and that's ONE of the genres he loves, you guys are past your times...

Back