Ian Paice

Paice is such a powerful drummer. He really has a good knowledge of the drums and of music theory as it pertains to hard rock. Paice seems very skilled in his style, which is why I enjoy listening to him play.
- Marc

I just got their "Deep Purple Live in Concert 72/73" and "Live in California 74" DVDs. Although it's hard to choose, I prefer the first one even though the second one has better camera work and might be a more visually appealing concert as whole, the first is the Mark 2 line up, has a lot more solos/extended fills, and is worth the price for Fireball alone (I practically crapped myself when he started playing that). A must have for any DP/Paicey fan.

Great stuff Bernhard!!
Ian Paice has always been one my favorite drummers for many years. He has left me scratching my head more than once! If you listen to the song “Lazy” off the Machine Head Album you can hear him play that oh so sweet sing beat on the ride cymbal, and pay particular attention to the accents he put on the bass drum……… unbelievable.

Again thanks for video clips Bernhard.

Neil M

I usually listen to everything, but when a classic rock band like Deep Purple comes on I'll shun it off, thinking "Eh.......smoke on the water.......corny", maybe because I'm younger and didn't grow up with bands like that, so I'll admit my ignorance for ignoring this guy and not knowing he played for more artists than Deep Purple.

Just checked out all his videos on here WOW this guy rips! Thanks Bernhard for shedding a new light on this drummer for me.

Zardoz said:
I usually listen to everything, but when a classic rock band like Deep Purple comes on I'll shun it off, thinking "Eh.......smoke on the water.......corny", maybe because I'm younger and didn't grow up with bands like that, so I'll admit my ignorance for ignoring this guy and not knowing he played for more artists than Deep Purple.

Just checked out all his videos on here WOW this guy rips! Thanks Bernhard for shedding a new light on this drummer for me.

Some of Ian's best work is with Deep Purple. "Smoke.." is just one of the songs that got popular, and his work on that is just the tip of the iceberg. Check out DP's Fireball, Machine Head, and In Rock albums.

And thanks again Bernhard. It's always a joy to watch some of his older stuff. His fills were almost as good the guitar player's mullet. jk :)

Ian Paice / Rock Icon

When Machine Head came out years ago, Ian Paice became one of my favorite rock Drummers. He is still tearing it up in his own special style at around 60 years old? What a great drummer. For you youngins out there - check out Space Truckin on Machine
Head and listen to an all time great drummer. You gotta love Ian. You've just read a Waterjet moment!

Waterjet / Love The Drum / Worship at its temple

Also you must listen BURN and RAT BAT BLUE (deep purple) this last one has a great beat

Ian is the man who made me actually take up the drums instead of just screwing about with them.I've been a fan since The Shades Of Deep Purple LP was released in 1968.Just listen to "Mandrake Root" from that CD,or the entire Book Of Taliesyn CD with its insane opener "Listen,Learn,Read On",or "Wring That Neck",and let's not forget the 3rd CD called "Deep Purple" with even more great playing from Ian.I wish the tenative drum-solo ending on "Emmeretta" was allowed to be longer;and that's just his early stuff.Of course his playing from the In Rock LP onward is simply the stuff of legend.This man may very well be my favourite drummer of all time...

What more can I say that hasn't already been said....Ian is legend......those smooth single strokes...effortless, amazing...

Hey all, I'm so glad there are so many out there who know that Ian Paice is a legend in his own time and was already legendary whilst playing that awesome Ludwig kit way back then. Man.... I reckon I'd be one of the happiest guys in the world if I could clone that kit straight out of 1972!!! I have to say I have been listening to Ian Paice since I was a young boy and I have never turned back since! I have many drum influences which include John Bonham, percussionists from Santana, Carl Palmer etc but Ian Paice has and always will be my biggest inspiration and heaviest influence and I'm proud of it.

My favourite drumming by Paice was when he was using that old classic Ludwig, how can you go past "In Rock", "Fireball", "Machine Head", "Made In Japan", "Who Do We Think We Are", "Burn" & Stormbringer etc etc.........

The Triple Disc version of "Made In Japan" which is titled "Live In Japan" is one of my personal favourites featuring 3 gigs they performed in Japan. I suggest for all you hardcore Ian Paice fans (I'm sure most of you have it anyway) to listen to the sick drumming on Disc 3's version of "Space Truckin'" which in my opinion is equally as good as the version chosen for the original "Space Truckin'" released on "Made In Japan".
This version was ommited because apparently Ian Gillan had a cold so his voice was a bit raspy but I think the singing on the Disc 3 version is sicker aswell. It was their last night in Japan and he sings his guts out aswell as everyone jamming their asses off!!!!!

And while you're at it, have another listen to the fills in "Highball Shooter" from the "Stormbringer" album........cool eh!! What a SnareMaster!

Paice is the man!!!

Back