Tre' Cool

If he is in time, I can listen to him, if not I can't. He's in time from what I can hear. Comparisons are really not relevant. he's in that band, and they seem to like him, and he keeps time. That he doesn't play like Gadd or Bonham is not relevant, and they don't play like him, either.

We have these discussions frequently, it seems.

Does it have to be difficult to be played well? No. Is it easy to play a technically simple piece well????? It isn't.

If you think Tre Cool sucks, I hate to break it to you, but you are too caught up in being a "drummer" and not a musician. For example, Dave Weckl is a drummer. Not a musician. The "music" he plays, in my opinion, just barely qualifies as music. It's a way to show people how fast he can play. Now I'm not being too harsh on Dave, because he is a, if not THE, technical master of the drums. He is the person to look to for technique.

Tre Cool is a musician. He plays music. He's not trying to show people how fast he plays, he's merely playing drums for Greenday, and he does it very very well. You see, if Tre tried to play like Dave on a Greenday track, uhhh.... that just wouldn't work. So what Tre does is make sure his drums sound GREAT (which they do, listen to Longview for an example) and play fills that sound great and complement the music perfectly. He knows his place, and he fills his role arguably better than anyone else could. I'm not a fan of recent Greenday, but Dookie is one of the albums that got me started on drums way back in the day.

Again I will reiterate, If you play things because they are hard to play, you are only a drummer (nothing wrong with that I guess, but it's not what I want to be). If you play things because they sound good and fit with the music, then you're a drummer AND a musician. That's what Tre is, and that's what I want to be (although in a completely different style).

lfdy said:
I agree.

You shouldn't judge someone simply on what he plays in a band.

If he's been playing for that long, i'd guess he has some skills too :)

Actually, I think that's exactly what you should judge people on. It's not about what you can play, it's about what you choose to play. Seriously. Think about that long and hard.

Hmm lets think about this, basically this comes down to 'what makes a good drummer'.

I have played for 6 years and am 15 years old and can comfortable play pretty much everything on Greendays latest album. The thing is, for all you know tre cool walks off the stage and plays some latin grooves ect that would blow you away, he plays simple things on the stage because they fit - less is more?

Lets take U2's drummer Larry Mullen for example. I think he is a truly great drummer, yet he plays mindblowingly simple beats for most of his songs. Off stage i know that he could play some really amazing stuff, but he keeps it simple and it fits.

Basically what i think is that a drummer who does his job, keeps the time and plays the right stuff at the right time but in a minimalistic sense is sooooo much better for a band and more useful for anyone than a drummer who spends the whole time trying to show just how fast his, or her (god forbid) double pedal can go...

Saying that i personally do not look to tre cool for inspiration, because his name is too pretentious

When I think of a good drummer the first thing that comes to mind is of course their skills but what if it goes deeper than that? To me a drummer isn’t just a person, who plays drums, they are certain form of a person and drums shape them to who they are as a person. I mean lets face it, we drummers have an attitude and a style but the drummer who tops all of us in that point is none other than Tre Cool from Green Day. The man with the passion, energy and the ever inflated ego. Listening to Tre Cool playing his drum part to songs like “American Idiot” “Welcome to Paradise” and probably his most famous drum part “Jesus of suburbia” gives you a sense of what drummers are there for, to give a rock steady beat with crazy fast fills and plenty of crashing away at cymbals. But listening to Tre cool is just not enough to get the whole picture of him, you have to see the man playing his heart out for 2 hours straight and looking like he’s having the best time of his life! A lot of people know Tre cool for his absurdly funny faces when he plays live and the way he collapses over his drum set and rolls on stage at the end of concerts and also his habit for tearing up his drum kit and lighting it on fire are just some of his more memorable crazy stunts. Another thing I like about Tre is that he has stayed with the same band all his life and gives his complete attention to it. That can’t be easy for a pro drummer to do but I guess he feels the same way I do that without him Green Day would not be the same Green Day because really his personality and his style of drumming fits perfectly with the band because they couldn’t make the same great songs or live shows without him. Its like saying “oh yeah Ringo star isn’t that good the beatles could have had a way better drummer but without Ringo who knows if the Beatles would have been as popular because without that extra chemistry that Ringo added with his personality and his simple but steady rock beats the music and the band as a whole would be a lot different. So next time you hear green day on the radio or watch him on TV be sure to pay attention to the drumming. And if you think His drumming isn’t that great try and remember that who he is as a person makes up for it. LONG LIVE TRE COOL!

as easy as it is to play, i still doubt i could have made up the intro to basket case. it's not too complicated, and not too simple.
that said, it's the best thing he's done.

i agree.
besides, it's fair to say "i think he is overatted".
saying he can't play is wrong. he can. or he would be fired.

I'm so tired of people saying that word "overatted"!! you people just live on that word when it comes to any really popular drummer.

don't get me wrong, i love tre cool, he was my first drumming hero, but....
billie joe armstrong claims that tre is "the best rock drummer in the world." i disagree. therefore it is my opinion that he is overatted.

mellow said:
I'm so tired of people saying that word "overatted"!! you people just live on that word when it comes to any really popular drummer.

That's because many of us feel that being "popular" has little to do with your actual talent. Since they are more popular than their actual skill, I can only really think of one adjective:

OVERRATED! -- To overestimate the merits of; rate too highly.

mellow said:
Well Tre Cool is overated. He doesnt even hold a candle to Vinnie or Weckl or Gadd or Billie Ward or any of the studio guys who dont get near as much credit as they deserve for the amazing work they do everyday. Im so tired of people claiming that just because someone is poular they are good, it doesnt work that way. There are some really great drummers in the world, better than Tre Cool, that I gurantee you or I have never heard of.

i like tre cools playing! he's amazing on american idiot, hearing him made me want to play the drums

.............movingly swiftly on..................
before american idiot, i would have said tre cool was deserving of his fame as a really good drummer.
nowadays, he is not worthy of being the "best rock drummer ever". but i can't dislike him for gaining fame.

I heard that Travis Barker uses this backround drums in all his songs?
Like he's Just adding to the drums in the back?
Is that True?

ask in the barker thread
ewanlaing said:
.............movingly swiftly on...................
i think tre cool has tried a few things that other punk drummers hadn't really at the time (but please correct me if i'm wrong). he uses snare patterns quite frequently, which is a bit unusual for punk, so i guess that makes him a bit more interesting.

For sure, his snare patterns definately adds to the punk style drumming, I think he is doing a good job at not over doing it too.

Tre Cool is one of the most popular rock drummers around today. Most kids who start drumming definetly have some experience with Greenday so they look into that drummer. Basicly everyone knows about Greenday, and with their like 8 total grammy wins and 5 or 6 hit videos they are basicly impossible to be unheard of. Most kids that start reminesence of greendays success, look into his drumming and instantly get hooked on Tre's innonative yet simple beats, thrashy cymbals hits , and fast tom work. That's how everyone gets addicted to Tre. Tre is definetly one of my favorite drummings closey behind barker and peart. He began at age 12 and basicly taught himself so you don't expect someone that was basicly self taught to know everything about rudiments, tempo, and all that stuff. Tre just likes to have fun with his drumming, I don' think he cares what people think. He makes millions of dollars a year doing something he loves I don't think he should start getting cocky and trying new things that can mess up his image and stuff.

Last edited:
Back