Europe

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
This may be an over-simplification of an idea but I am fascinated with Europe. The people, the politics. their history and culture.
I really hope to get to visit there before I'm too old to travel.

The continent of Europe is actually 28 different countries, each with their own unique history and traditions. I have travelled Europe and Asia extensively and will tell you that you should definitely go. All you need is a backpack and a plane ticket. You wont regret it.

You should stay on "The Gulf Coast" and enjoy the long term effects of the BP oil spill to the fullest!

I thought this thread might about about the band.

*cue synth intro*

I'm more fascinated by how European bands of the last 10 years seem more diverse and less trendy than their American counterparts. And that European fans will eat up large multi band festivals that have diverse range of bands, while we don't have too much of that over here.

Fun fact about the countries with the alps in them. Their livestock, mostly cows, have evolved so that the legs on one side of their body are shorter than the other side so they can get around the mountains easier

Fun fact about the countries with the alps in them. Their livestock, mostly cows, have evolved so that the legs on one side of their body are shorter than the other side so they can get around the mountains easier
Our area is fairly mountainous, & cows legs are shorter on both sides so they don't have to reverse all the way home ;)

You know what they call a cow with shorter legs one one side, right?

Lean beef

This is true of sheep from Welsh hillsides too. If you go to a traditional Welsh butcher (supermarkets don't do it) you can buy "coes mawr" (big leg) or "coes bach" (little leg).

I'm from Belgium - just putting that out there so you can put things into context.

If you want to go walking: do not go to Belgium, Northern France, the Netherlands. I mean, it is a nice area, and it is peaceful, but it is not astonishing. If I were to go somewhere for walking and enjoy nature, it would most probably be Ireland or Scotland, possibly Wales or Iceland. German forests are thick and very atmospheric as well. In the South I can advise you Ile de Ré, which is very nice. I have spent two weeks in Jersey (not New Jersey, mind you) off the coast of France and it is very nice as well.

If you want culture/history, any country will do. Every country, every city even, has its own cultural habits and customs. Personally I think our own, Belgian, culture is pretty nice - knowing that we only got our independence in 1830 and that we have been ruled by Prusians, French, Dutchmen, Spaniards and what not over the centuries.

If you want to go to festivals: Belgium for Rock Werchter, Pukkelpop, Groezrock, Blues Festival Peer. In the Netherlands they have Tommorowland (electronic music). Probably best-known is probably Sziget, which is a long festival in the summer in Budapest.

If you want to chill and just lie at a beach. Spain, southern France would do.

You know what they call a cow with shorter legs one one side, right?

Lean beef

where I'm from goats have shorter legs on one side so they dont fall down the mountains. They are trained to never turn around.

You'll love Europe. I think my favorite so far is either Biarritz, France or Amsterdam.

I think you're right. I'd like to travel to several different countries and see the places my Dad served at the end of WW2 and during the Allied Occupation. My girlfriend wants to see Rome, I want to see the U.K., Brittany including the landing beaches and cemeteries in Normandy. Germany where my Father was stationed as a young soldier then off to a certain drum factory in Bad-Berleburg. Down to Switzerland for the majestic scenery by rail (and a certain cymbal/gong factory). Then down to Tuscany, Florence and Rome.

She's agreed to see the war history and percussion attractions if I look at the art galleries and statues.

Back