Best heads for poplar shells

reg98

Hi everyone:)

I'm looking at getting some new heads for my pearl target, which has low range poplar shells. I've been looking at clear emperors, but I'm not sure if they sound good with these shells. Would appreciate some advice as to what heads would get the best sound out of these shells.

Hi everyone:)

I'm looking at getting some new heads for my pearl target, which has low range poplar shells. I've been looking at clear emperors, but I'm not sure if they sound good with these shells. Would appreciate some advice as to what heads would get the best sound out of these shells.

What have you been using up to now? If it's the original heads, ANYTHING will sound better. Emperors or evans G2's are a good middle of the road choice for any drum.

Still got the stock heads at the moment... their pretty horrible, but its only been for home use so far:) thanks for the advice:)

I had Pearl Export drums with poplar shells. On the toms I put clear Evans G2's on top and EC Resonants on the bottom. On the bass drum I put a clear EMAD on the back and a black EQ1 on the front. These heads gave me the sound I wanted. Peace and goodwill.

I had Pearl Export drums with poplar shells. On the toms I put clear Evans G2's on top and EC Resonants on the bottom. On the bass drum I put a clear EMAD on the back and a black EQ1 on the front. These heads gave me the sound I wanted. Peace and goodwill.
That pretty much follows my thinking :) Poplar works best when excited by lower frequencies. It therefore responds better to heads that deliver a good "thump", but nothing too dampened, as poplar is already short enough.

Theres a cabal of regular posters that will find this post requiring such exclaimations as "Saturn...or this drummer vrs that drummer" - with snarky yet entertaining tone.

If you haven't been around long, this is code for 'deeply subjective and repetitive post'.

Truth is, your head selection IS subjective...and my opinion is irrelevant....in the end YOU must decide...and nothing I have to say should disuade your experimental results of personal taste.

I am a little less burnt out on the posts that ask "what is best"...so i thought i'd give you fair warning....and encourage further posting/participation.

Back