Taking up piano

daredrummer

Gold Member
I've decided that I want to learn piano, I think it's a really cool instrument.
I tried bass and I found it was frustrating and just not very much fun (I'm sure it would get better as I got better, but still...)
So I'm going to teach myself piano. I already know all the notes from percussion in school, so it's mainly just going to be coordination, using the right fingers, using both hands, etc.
Today I wanted to start off with something fun and laid back, so I started learning wait for sleep by dream theater. (Not at full speed of course!).

I thought it was really fun right off the bat, unlike bass. Using the right fingers came pretty quickly to me (maybe because I took lessons a few yeas ago). The hard part is going to be using both hands at the same time!

Wish me luck!

Good luck!

I went vice verse: I've played keys on and off for the last 20 years and started playing drums a couple of years ago. I think playing more than 1 instrument makes you grow as a musician and will also benefit playing your main instrument.

Try to hang in there, I learned playing keys (as well as drums, BTW) by myself and it can take time but it is rewarding when you can nail the tunes or songs you want.

Well I have two pianos in the house and none of my family wants to learn. It is my favorite instrument to listen to. I have taken lessons a couple of times in my 47 years, and know the basics, but have not practiced enough to get over the hump of being good. Stay with it. It is a beautiful instrument.

If you want to make something out of your playing, I strongly suggest getting a piano-teacher so you get to know the basics. That's what I'm doing now, and it has cleared up a lot of frustrations regarding technique and general playing. It also helpful for reading and understanding notes.

If you want to make something out of your playing, I strongly suggest getting a piano-teacher so you get to know the basics. That's what I'm doing now, and it has cleared up a lot of frustrations regarding technique and general playing. It also helpful for reading and understanding notes.
Yes, a teacher is a must. You need someone to keep you accountable. Find someone cute if possible. It makes you want to go to lessons more. :)

piano is fun, I walked into the local city college to take beginning piano class, and wound up doing 4 years of music theory/composition major, piano is great for learing to read music too, both clefts are used. good luck and have fun.

I restarted lessons again last December (quit as a kid) Working towards Grade 2 now! Being surrounded by 6 year olds in exams isn't fun though haha! But I suggest getting a teacher because they sort of lay out what needs to be learnt and so on. I tried teaching myself but I didn't have any direction with it. You don't have to do grades and all of that. Just do it for fun if you want!

That's awesome! I've always believed that learning other instruments will only enhance your musicality and give you more appreciation for music in general.

I learned the organ as a child so I do play some keys as well, I also play guitar and a little bass, and it's been great learning all these instruments...jack of all trades master of none! hahaha!

Have fun with it!

That's awesome! I've always believed that learning other instruments will only enhance your musicality and give you more appreciation for music in general.

I learned the organ as a child so I do play some keys as well, I also play guitar and a little bass, and it's been great learning all these instruments...jack of all trades master of none! hahaha!

Have fun with it!

Haha that's how I describe myself in life in general - Jack of all trades...learn bits of everything but never bloody finish!! :-D Ah, I suppose it's better than not having a go at anything at all!

Haha that's how I describe myself in life in general - Jack of all trades...learn bits of everything but never bloody finish!! :-D Ah, I suppose it's better than not having a go at anything at all!

hahaha, yeah well I always think of it that we are enjoying all the variety of music and life has to offer, much better experience IMO.

Well I have another piano lesson tonight. My story in a nutshell is I picked up music late in life, about 5 years ago and starting drumming. I love it. We had a two hour jam in the woodshed on Sunday and made a joyful, if not horrible sounding noise. I had a couple of break throughs on drums lately and I have to attribute it to piano lessons. The reasons I started learning the piano is so I can read music.

I am retiring from the military after almost 30 years and got accepted to the College of Charleston and can study music, AS A FRESHMAN. GI bill picks up the tab and I get to do something I have always wanted to do, play music.

Bottom line is I keep hearing over and over that the more you know, the more you know. I believe Larry Ace coined that term. Anyway, it's working and helping. At my first lesson, the piano teacher said: Wow, you understand the rhythm part very well. Well I better with all the time and money I spent.

Funny thing with drums, you have 4 limps and 8, 10, 12, 144 things to hit. The piano, you have 10 fingers and 88 keys. Not as easy as it appears, and the left ring finger is a bad actor and needs to be taught a lesson. Piano types will know exactly what i mean.

So thumbs up for learning the piano, it was been a good experience for me.

John

Back