Evans Onyx with G1 coated resos

creepshow

So I hauled the kit out of the storage locker (apartment living is heartbreaking), and put the new Onyx heads I just picked up on the toms. The G1 coated heads I replaced were barely touched at all, just wanted to go with a thicker head. With the new heads I found not too much improvement sound-wise. Better for sure, but not quite what I was hoping for. Then I realized the reso heads were the crap factory ones that I always meant to replace, just never got around to it. Popped the coated G1s on the bottom and presto! I'm loving the sound! I've never had a thicker, fuller sound out of my 10" and 14" toms. Good attack and tone, not much resonance and a good lower pitch that I can tune up higher if I want. The 10" tom heads are tuned the same, with the 14" reso a touch lower than the batter.

I'm really pleased with this batter/reso combo. Anyone else like the sound of a coated reso on their toms? If you are looking for that type of sound, I recommend trying the Onyx heads. They definitely aren't for everyone, but they were just what I was looking for.

That has got to be the deepest, fattest sound ever! I can't help thinking that you've completely killed the characteristics of the shells though... I used the hydraulics for a while and I loved them. I would only really use them in the studio if I really needed the attack more than resonance.

It's got a nice dark sound, for sure. I'm not a big fan of much resonance in my drums, I prefer them pretty dry. Besides, I've read that up to 80% of how a drum sounds comes from the head. Also, I have a Premier Cabria kit that's about 7 years old, so they're not super high quality shells anyway. Even with these heads though, there is still some tone and resonance, just not too much. At some point I'm going to try some EC2 heads and see how they sound.

Back