Paiste Sound Edge vs. Zildjian New Beat

I realize these hats are totally different and maybe using "vs" in the subject line isn't the best idea. But all I'm really trying to do is compare my newly purchased Paiste hats with my New Beats to see and hear how they differ.

I did this video. Let me know what your thoughts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve4ltD0hM4A

Chris

I used to have a Paiste 2002 14" Sound Edge back in early 80's, I liked the idea of the ondulations on the bottom cymbal to let the air escape faster, however, I found it a bit too bright and high pitched, so I moved to a Zildjian 14" Quick Beat, the bottom cymbal has four holes and no bell, the pitch was somewhat lower and it had the similar 'quickness" of the Paiste, I still use the Quick Beat nowadays, it's my x-hat on the right hand side :)

Listening to your comparison clip, I came to the same conclusion, the Paiste is higher pitched than the Zildjian, the New Beats seemed a tad more powerful too, it gets my vote over the Sound Edge, but it's subjective to personal tastes :)

How do you feel about you comparison tests?

Nice vid. I am a huge Paiste fan but prefer the New Beats in your demo. I did the same comparison a few years ago, and that comparison convinced me to sell my beloved old 14 Sound Edges. They are nice, but hi pitched and tinny. I think though 15 inch 2oo2's have a nicer lower pitch. While I have B8 alloys crashes and rides (GB's and 2oo2's) I prefer b20 alloy for hihats. Thus I'm using old New Beats right now.

I love my New Beats, but I gotta admit that I'm totally into these Paiste hats. I just got them yesterday and alot of this can be from the "honeymoon", but man, the clarity and response makes them a joy to play! Very inspiring.

There are so many sounds available from the Sound Edge hats that they are super fun to play.

The New Beats are alot heavier and meatier sounding and they're not going anywhere. Love them too!

Yeah I used to have the Paiste 14" sound edge hats to and also thought they were too bright and tinny for me. I sold them a few months later. Not sure it has to do with Paiste though, I played another drummers kit who had zildjian a mastersounds that had the same bottom edge and they were bright like that too.

I have New Beats that I really like but am now comparing them to K dark customs which i just got for $150.. : )

I also have a Paiste 802 bottom that was laying around doing nothing and I noticed it weighed the same as the new beat bottom so I drilled 3 holes in the 802 and now play it with the new beat top for a sort of new/quick beat hybrid.. sounds pretty good too

Yeah I used to have the Paiste 14" sound edge hats to and also thought they were too bright and tinny for me. I sold them a few months later. Not sure it has to do with Paiste though, I played another drummers kit who had zildjian a mastersounds that had the same bottom edge and they were bright like that too.

I have New Beats that I really like but am now comparing them to K dark customs which i just got for $150.. : )

I also have a Paiste 802 bottom that was laying around doing nothing and I noticed it weighed the same as the new beat bottom so I drilled 3 holes in the 802 and now play it with the new beat top for a sort of new/quick beat hybrid.. sounds pretty good too

Kinda funny you mention the K Custom dark hi hats... I had several hi-hats setup in the store yesterday. Everything from the Zildjian A series Mastersounds to a Meinl Sand top, some other Meinl super dry dark unlathed "trash can lid" sounding hats, to the Paiste 14" Sound Edges and a used pair of Paiste "Prototype" 14" hats. I also took my New Beats in the store with me.

When comparing all of these, I noticed the Paiste proto hats sounded almost identical to the K Custom dark hats! Crazy... The used Paiste's were $240 or so, so it was a good deal for hats that sound almost identical to the K Custom dark hats (which is good!)

In the end though, I wanted something with more presence that almost "shines" when played and these Paiste 2002 Sound Edge hats do just that! I can see how someone with a preference for the K Custom darks wouldn't dig the 2002 Sound Edge hats I just got. They are kind of at opposite ends, it seems.

PS - I'm half tempted to go back and get those Paiste prototype hats. They sure sounded good, but way different than the two pairs of hats I have now.

i'm feeling the Sound Edges too. they seemed to have more finesse.

the New Beats seemed more clanky.

thank you for this vid. you are right on time, as i was hoping for just such a comparison between these two sets of hats.

they both seem like nice hats and would work well. and of course both are legendary.

In the end though, I wanted something with more presence that almost "shines" when played and these Paiste 2002 Sound Edge hats do just that!

I see what you're looking for now, have you considered a mixed top and bottom hi-hat?

I wanted more "shines" on my hi-hat years ago, and I purchased a 13" Zildjian K/Z combination, top K serie, bottom Z serie, it did the trick, it shine, it has finesse, warmth, it's crisp and powerful, the best hi-hat I ever had, it's about 25 years old now, still going strong :)

You could try to mix match the New Beat and the Sound Edge, every 4 ways possible, it could be awesome... :))

I see what you're looking for now, have you considered a mixed top and bottom hi-hat?

I wanted more "shines" on my hi-hat years ago, and I purchased a 13" Zildjian K/Z combination, top K serie, bottom Z serie, it did the trick, it shine, it has finesse, warmth, it's crisp and powerful, the best hi-hat I ever had, it's about 25 years old now, still going strong :)

You could try to mix match the New Beat and the Sound Edge, every 4 ways possible, it could be awesome... :))

indeed...be sure to flip them over so that top is bottom. hats often sound better this way.

In fact, I like the crisp almost "hifi" sound of these Paiste hats so much that I'm seriously considering going with a ride and 18" crash from Paiste to compliment them! Dangit, I'm trying not to spend more money! LOL

I had 15" sound edges and 15" new beats - I sold them both
when I got my 14" K's

I miss some of the sustain of the sound edges - I could set them up where you
just hit them once and they would sit there and sizzle for days....LOL

But they are REALLY bright and loud - perfect for a live loud rock band.

The 15" new beats were darker and drier but still very aggressive and loud
when open...

I had a hard time recording with 15" hats - they take over the drum mix real easy.

With the 14" k's I can open 'em up and lay into them pretty good and they still
balance well without stealing the show...

of course I am going to plug 14" k's (probably til the day I get 14" new beats) LOL

I did an impulse thing and got a 2002 20" ride and 18" Crash locally just yesterday. LOL

Haven't spent much time with them yet, but the ride sure does ring out like a mofo! I can't get over the "sustain" or "ring" in these cymbals.

I will make another video with the ride and crash, mainly for me to see how they all sound together. But if it's somewhat decent, I'll post it.

I did an impulse thing and got a 2002 20" ride and 18" Crash locally just yesterday. LOL

Haven't spent much time with them yet, but the ride sure does ring out like a mofo! I can't get over the "sustain" or "ring" in these cymbals.

I will make another video with the ride and crash, mainly for me to see how they all sound together. But if it's somewhat decent, I'll post it.

i just got a 2002 20" Ride, myself. that Swell is something else. it over-rides the Ping after two taps. but the good news is it's not so bad farther away from the kit. and never tap more than twice in the same spot. the bad news is i'm goona need another Real Ride to do Real Ride Things. it's cool for Swells though.

in New Beat developments, i borrowed a buds New Beats to see what the deal is on them. those things are soooo good that they messed up my mind.

seriously. i love my APX 18" crash but the New Beats are so smooth that they made my APX crash sound like crap. and i lerrrrrrrrrrv my 18" crash. it got me to thinking...well what do i need to compliment New Beats if i get them. i'll need a total over-haul of my cymbals - just when i thought hats were the last piece of the puzzle. i got 13" and 14" APX's, but i'm not quite happy with them.

cymbal assemblage is a NIGHTMARE !!!!!!!!!!!

i just got a 2002 20" Ride, myself. that Swell is something else. it over-rides the Ping after two taps. but the good news is it's not so bad farther away from the kit. and never tap more than twice in the same spot. the bad news is i'm goona need another Real Ride to do Real Ride Things. it's cool for Swells though.

in New Beat developments, i borrowed a buds New Beats to see what the deal is on them. those things are soooo good that they messed up my mind.

seriously. i love my APX 18" crash but the New Beats are so smooth that they made my APX crash sound like crap. and i lerrrrrrrrrrv my 18" crash. it got me to thinking...well what do i need to compliment New Beats if i get them. i'll need a total over-haul of my cymbals - just when i thought hats were the last piece of the puzzle. i got 13" and 14" APX's, but i'm not quite happy with them.

cymbal assemblage is a NIGHTMARE !!!!!!!!!!!

It is freaking expensive, but it sure is fun! ;)

great thread. i had posted a thread about Ks vs 2002. i think the way i put it was a bad idea because this thread sort of states what i meant haha. i own 14'' new beats and have been thinking of a switch to 13'' sound edge hats. many people say the new beats are a very versatile hat but i have to disagree when it comes to playing this hat at a soft volume. it is rather heavier than the sound im going after and alot more ''ching'' effect to it. i find that i am looking for more of the sound that the sound edge offers. the video compares both sounds really well and i am convinced that the 2002s are thinner than the zildjian new beats therefore making it even thinner than the Ks.

i am convinced that the 2002s are thinner than the zildjian new beats therefore making it even thinner than the Ks.

Yep, they are. But the 2002's are very bright and the 13" especially, are quite high pitched. I really recommend playing them first. I know you've said it's difficult to find any, but a special trip may be in order.

I own 14" NB's and 15" 2002 SE's. I love both sets of hats, but I honestly believe the NB's are the more versatile of the two.

The Paiste sound edge hi hats are by far the best on the market. I have sets of 13s, 14s, and 15s. If you are one of the few drummers that uses their left foot on the HH, these HHs will cut through anything! Great for swing and bop players if they really want that chick on 2 and on 4. The 2002s are the loudest. If that's not what your going for, try the Signiture Series or the Formula 602s. I have a set of the original Formula 602s and their amazing.
I don't own a single Zildjian, I think they're living on a name.
I've got all Paistes, Istanbuls, some UFIPs I got in Italy and The Wuhan (pronounced WuNan) Chinese, which I adore. I'll take a moment to plug flat rides. I've got five of them.
all 18". If you really want that great stick sound, without the build up, try some flats.

I switched from my beautiful 14” A customs to sound edge 14” for the brighter sound, but after a while noticed the feel is horrible, no matter how I set them up. It’s like I wasn’t able to play drums anymore. They feel so awkward when you hit them. It was like I couldn’t control them. It’s like they are too thick or something. I just bought some 14” new beats for the first time ever and I haven’t fully played them enough yet...but I heard it is a smoother feeling and they are still bright so I’m looking forward to that middle ground. Any thoughts? I’m selling my 14” sound edge(almost brand new) cymbals in LA, if anyone wants them. By the way, in the video I like the new beats sound a lot more. It’s like the perfect tone.

Back