Limiter for InEar monitors

Konne

Need some advice for my Inear monitors...

Now, I got:
A Mackie 1202 VLZ3 Mixer
A pair of Shure SE-325 earphones

All I need now is a good Limiter so I dont blow my head off!

any suggestions?

Hmm. This has been covered in other threads. I'm still not understanding why you would need a limiter if you have a small mixing board right next to you with a volume knob for the headphones. On a big system where you're not in control of what's going on, then sure, you should have a limiter (that someone else is controlling). But with in-ears in, you're not going to have them cranked up all the way because they block much of the outside sound to begin with. Unless I'm mistaken, you have control of everything going into your Mackie. Learn how to get a good mix without overdriving it and then adjust your headphone output accordingly. It's not that hard. I trust you're not dealing with people who like to scream into the mics for the fun of it?

Been looking around but havent found really what im looking for...

ofcourse you right about that I have controll over the mixer and that I wont have the volume on 11.. but what happens if the guitars will feedback?

I have to be 100% sure that my ears are save.

maybe I havent informed you guys enough here...

I will have it with me when we are playing at bigger stages and on festivals... we dont have our own PA/monitors and 9/10 times there is crappy monitors on stage (crappy speakers not soundtechs), so I will bring this inear-system..

I use IEM's plugged into a mixer. Even though I currently only play/practice on my own there's been a couple of time I bumped a slider without knowing it and nearly blew my ears out. Also, eventually I would like to play in a band and the thought that others could make me deaf isn't good. You can limit exposure to volume spikes using compressor settings if you have one (my mixer has one of those 'one knob does it all' compressors so it doesn't have the separate settings to limit). After looking into hearing protection while using IEM's I found a Headphone Amp/Limiter that came highly recommended. Check it out.

http://www.rockonaudio.com/?page=LIM-001

Last edited:
One of the reasons the Shure IEM systems cost so much is that they come with a body pack that has a limiter and volume knob.
Your right to worry about feedback and any other sudden spikes in volume. The only down-side I've had with the limiter in my PSM 400
system is that it clamps down so hard on overloads to the point that there's a brief half a second that you don't hear anything. It's a
bit annoying. This happens occasionally when the guitarist turns way up from the levels set at sound check.

Yea, I dont want to put my ears destiny in somebody elses hands...

So can you guys give me some advice on a good limiter/compressor?

there are so many out there and its impossible to try them all out...

I have looked at the Rolls cl 151 compressor/limiter, a small and not so expensive limiter...

But is it "good enough" or is there better ones? and what makes a good limiter?

The rock box limiter looks good! And sounds nice with a limiter that goes to 11! so I can get that push over the cliff!

I will see if its available here in sweden...

Any other suggestions?

I want something small like the RockBox and the ROLLS CL 151 (http://www.thomann.de/se/rolls_cl_151.htm?sid=434b9f3f3cddd805640cf7cb5d4d4a09)
I dont want a big rack-size limiter cuz dont want to carry around a lot of gear...

Back