Mapex Saturn Snare + Black Widow :)

TableMuncher

Hey hey hey!
I received my new snare today, a Mapex Saturn in the Natural Gloss finish.
I really didn't need this snare, but I bought it on a whim being barely awake!
I got it for £62 and it's in brilliant condition! 9/10 easily! It needs new heads as they are the stock heads from 2006, but it still sounds good!
But anyway, here are some pictures of the new snare and my Mapex Black Widow!

13-07-2011MapexSaturnSnareDissassembled1.jpg

13-07-2011MapexSaturnSnareDissassembled2.jpg

13-07-2011MapexSaturnSnareDissassembled3.jpg

13-07-2011MapexSaturnSnare1.jpg

13-07-2011MapexSaturnSnare2.jpg

13-07-2011MapexBlackWidow2.jpg

13-07-2011MapexBlackWidow3.jpg

13-07-2011MapexSaturnSnareMapexBlackWidow1.jpg

13-07-2011MapexSaturnSnareMapexBlackWidow2.jpg

So there we go! :) feels good to share :p

TM

Wow, that's one sexy snare right there, man! Congrats!

Great pics. I'm amazed at how thin that shell is! Thanks for sharing.

Cheers!

I know that this is a late reply, but I just saw the thread. I am seriously considering buying a Saturn snare (14x5.5), but have heard some good (saying they're just good, but not great) to rave reviews.

What are you're thoughts on the Saturn snare? I'd be replacing my Pro M snare. I love the Pro M snare (thin shell and all), but want some more warmth and depth. Do you think that the Saturn is a noticeable step up from the Pro M? How does it sound compared to the Black Widow.

Thanks,

-tupela

My Saturn snare is the 14x6.5 one. It's pretty nice, but most of my snares have been metal so I don't have much to compare it. I have a recording I could send you if you're really keen. Pro M snares aren't bad either, so I would opt for a different size shell if it were me.

I think the badge on that one looks odd, being a different colour to the lugs. Paint it!

I would keep the Pro M snare, but my wife and I are about to move with a soon-to-be newborn, so the kit has to be sold. The only thing that I have room for is a snare, my cymbals and hardware. I figure that I love my Pro M, so a Saturn in the same size will be even better.

If you could send me the recording, I'd appreciate it. Do you think that the Saturn will fill in nicely for my soon to be sold Pro M snare? P.S. I'm bummed that the kit has to go, so I want a similar yet slightly different snare that I'll be somewhat used to.

Sorry for the rambling, but that's just my way of saying that I agree that the Pro M is really good, and if I were to keep it I'd get a different size.

Okay, that's enough from me. I am very interested in how the Saturns sound, because I have a feeling that they can be really underrated (as most stock snares can be).

Thanks,

-tupela

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ERO81Z6P

There you go. It's just snippets from an afternoon of testing out a room and mic set ups so the playing is pretty rough It was an experimental day before we tracked the drums for an EP. Most of the main snare hits are rimshots but the open sound is quite tasty as well, just wasn't sure how well it would mix. I had a die cast hoop on the top but have since gone back to the steel one.

Halfway through it switches to a Pearl Chad Smith signature snare, I'm sure you'll hear the difference!

I have my Saturn snare tuned about medium tension and it still sounds phat :) as for changing from a Pro M, I have no idea, my knowledge on snares is limited to what I own.

I have my Black Widow tuned High but crisp for the ghost notes etc, and the Saturn is tuned similar but the walnut and extra 1/2 inch depth changes the sound nicely to a phat yet somehow high tone. I nearly always use the Saturn live, not becuse its cheap, because it sounds damn fine B-)

if that question was directed at me about where I bought for that price, I got it off eBay really early in the morning on a whim thinking I'd get out bid but no haha, could'nt be happier :)

TM

Thanks TableMuncher. I think that I'll get either one of those two snares. I'm still leaning towards a Saturn because I've always wanted to own a snare with the dark rich walnut sound. I like crispness and ghost notes for sure, but want to try something with a little more body than the Pro M. Both sound like my cup of tea though.

Thanks again,

-tupela

Thanks TableMuncher. I think that I'll get either one of those two snares. I'm still leaning towards a Saturn because I've always wanted to own a snare with the dark rich walnut sound. I like crispness and ghost notes for sure, but want to try something with a little more body than the Pro M. Both sound like my cup of tea though.

Thanks again,

-tupela

You can definitely hear the thin shell of the Saturn. Have you checked out the Black Panther Retrosonic? I love it, it's on this page - http://usa.mapexdrums.com/drums/blackpanther/index.asp

I have heard the Retrosonic. It's probably my favorite Mapex snare, but it's just too expensive. That's one of the reasons that I like the idea of the Saturn snare. The walnut plies will hopefully add to the maple (which I like as well).

If I could afford the Retrosonic, I'd definitely get that snare.

Thanks Kettles

Those are some really nice looking snares bro. I'm not normally a fan of natural finishes but i really like it on that snare.

Those are some really nice looking snares bro. I'm not normally a fan of natural finishes but i really like it on that snare.

Thanks fella :)

In a couple of weeks me and my band are going back into the studio, I'm going to record with the Saturn snare this time round.

So by the end of the month there should hopefully be a bunch of songs using it and you can gauge for yourself :)

The more I talk about the Saturn snare the more it feels like its my perfect snare, I can't wait to get it recorded

TM

Back