Football v American Football

My Dad can beat up your Dad.

Go easy mate! My dad is 83.

By the way, rugby players wear equipment. Shoulder pads, boxes etc. And if there was a chance they'd be tackled in mid air, helmets and pads all over as well!

One thing I will criticize is the time outs. It makes the game overly long. I know Americans treat it as a day out, but we off shore types like to get on with it.

Speaking of getting it over with, as I remember Autralian Rules Football has four almost 30 minute long quarters. That's twice our game although the clock runs. That game to me is work. Footy I believe you call it.

Speaking of getting it over with, as I remember Autralian Rules Football has four almost 30 minute long quarters. That's twice our game although the clock runs. That game to me is work. Footy I believe you call it.

Four 20 minute quarters I believe. When the ball is bounced the game runs pretty much flat chat. It's the fastest football game I've seen.

I played it when I was a kid but hardly follow it now.

I remember watching a gridiron game and the thing went about 3 hours due to the time outs. It's a good game though. I think if they were to ditch the time out the game might get more international spectators. That is just a guess of course.

Yes indeed, here in the great southern land it is referred to as FOOTY!!!!!!

Careful GD or we'll claim you as an honorary Aussie like we do with just about anyone who has heard the first three bars of Waltzing Matilda. Yep 30 min quarters of kicking, hand passing, marking (catching), tackling and running (some of our on-ball players can notch up 30 to 40 km's a game)........in fact, this has just reminded me of why I gave up playing!

WOW . You obviously know nothing of AF, why your so envious of it I don;t understand. I mean I could understand if you knew the game and made a somewhat intelligent informed opinion but wow bro.. you are looking kinda dumb the more you post. How is the air way up there on your high horse by the way? is it warmer or cooler? Just curious..

Dont really care of your opinions.

If you look back at my previous post, you wil notice that i have mentioned i know sweet FA about AF. try reading previous posts, may help you, and yes i may appear dumb with my comments, as i do not know the game, apart from there is alot of time outs.

But so what, does that mean that becouse i know FA about the game that that i cant comment about it wheather it be wrong or right, intellegent or not.

You think that mate, you can stick your head were the sun dont shine, i will make any comment i want (within reason), about anything i want (within reason) for the sites purposes.

I would rarther appear dumb and and have the right to make a dumb comment, than be intellegent, and be scared to voice my opinion, because someone on a thread wants to appear clever.

The air up here, by the way BRO, is the same as any air that hard working people breath, every breath is struggle.

I started this thread as i new, it would be entertaining, and that it has proved to be. Many opioions, good, bad, DUMB or ingtelligent.

Last edited:
Yes indeed, here in the great southern land it is referred to as FOOTY!!!!!!

Careful GD or we'll claim you as an honorary Aussie like we do with just about anyone who has heard the first three bars of Waltzing Matilda. Yep 30 min quarters of kicking, hand passing, marking (catching), tackling and running (some of our on-ball players can notch up 30 to 40 km's a game)........in fact, this has just reminded me of why I gave up playing!

So the big question is just what is Waltzing Matilda? Well Matilda is the name given to the nap sack carried by the bums and rail travelers. Waltzing Maltilda is the song sung as they leave one town headed to the next. Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Yes, just like that other great Aussie Sir Richard Hadlee.

How about: Russell Crowe, Nicole Kidman, Mel Gibson, most of AC/DC, The BeeGees, Tim and Neil Finn.......none of them born in Oz, but you'd never know that by the way we carry on when they achieve something. And that's just off the top of my head......how many more could I come up with by really thinking about it?

Last edited:
I like how you bring your dad's achievements into this...actually no I don't.
How old are you? I usually expect europeans to be a little more controlled and respectable since some usually talk down on us about our ways (like you) but you've completely blown my assumption all to hell. I find your ridiculous points in this argument rather amusing like I find comical TV shows...I don't take them seriously.

I sincerely laughed out loud when I read "He teaches the hard men to be tough" LOL

Call me an europeoan, No, I live on island away from europe.

My age, well i am over 40.

Ridiculous. YES, Spent to many years building a bussiness and having to be serious all the time, becouse that is what people expect, and rightly so.

Being serious all the time is not good for the body, being stupid, dumb or rediculous, is a good stress releif, serious people / stressed people pay good money to achive the rediculous.

Glad you find my comments ammussing, as that was the intention, to make someone smile maybe. (maybe not you, but maybe someone else)..

Surely you are not that stupid to think that comment i made was serious one.

So the big question is just what is Waltzing Matilda? Well Matilda is the name given to the nap sack carried by the bums and rail travelers. Waltzing Maltilda is the song sung as they leave one town headed to the next. Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

The funny thing about it, is that it's almost treated as a national anthem.....and it's song about sheep stealing and suicide.......this is what comes of forging a nation out of a convict colony I guess.....lol.

How about: Russell Crowe, Nicole Kidman, Mel Gibson, most of AC/DC, The BeeGees, Tim and Neil Finn.......none of them born in Oz, but you'd never know that by the way we carry on when they achieve something. And that's just off the top of my head......how many more could I come up with by really thinking about it?

I don't think anybody anywhere wants Der Fuhrer, Mel Gibson. Do they?

All the rest? Damned fine Aussie stock! :)

How can you make the first statement if you admit in the second you know nothing about what you're comparing?

That much is certain.

Again.

I know little about AF, as mentioned in posts before, again, i started this thread, as i new it would be contrvesall, i write the contravesall posts, as i know it stirs up a hornets nest, as proven.

But if you are going to use a quote, use the whole quote as stated, and not the portion you want to use, to make yourself look good.

We can all take certain words from a speach and use them for our own benifit, to look good, but it all depends on the sort of person you are, and how low you want to go to make your self look clever.

The funny thing about it, is that it's almost treated as a national anthem.....and it's song about sheep stealing and suicide.......this is what comes of forging a nation out of a convict colony I guess.....lol.

Just be careful how you spell Penal Colony.

You guys are to much! You're still at this I see.
I'll check in now and then and see how you all are doing!
Happy posting!

You guys are to much! You're still at this I see.
I'll check in now and then and see how you all are doing!
Happy posting!

I have to agree with you on this one!!! This thread is starting to make me laugh!!!
Football or American Football.. It gets everyone stired up. Well done Sufc.loyal!!..

I have to agree with you on this one!!! This thread is starting to make me laugh!!!
Football or American Football.. It gets everyone stired up. Well done Sufc.loyal!!..
Let me put it from an American vantage point. I'm 52 years old, I grew up with American Football and Baseball. I didn't even know what European Football was until my children introduced me to it because they played it when they were young. I went to their games and I cheered them on and such. I wasn't going to let Euro Football replace the games that I grew up with! I have nothing against Euro Football. Im still not going to abandon what I have known and loved. These games are part of American Culture. That's the way that it is and it always will be! We don't care if outsiders don't understand it.
We drank Budweiser, Schaefer, Ballantine, and Rheingold beer, and we watched American Football and Baseball. That's the way that it was as I was coming up.
We don't compare our games to the rest of the world, We don't care what the world thinks of our games! They are ours! We like them!
OMG! Let's not forget Basketball, Another American game.

Last edited:
Quite right Bob.

I think perhaps where these idea stem from is that due to cable TV, people outside the US are seeing many US games. Often at the expense of their own. For example, last year I went to a Returned Servicemens club to have a quiet beer and watch a cricket test match. I was quite stunned to see a baseball game on screen and had to ask the barmaid to change the channell so I could watch the Aussie cricket team.

Of course in Australia we've always had the English league soccer on our TV's. So we may be more used to it. For a while I saw so many games played by the Cleveland Indians I began to know what was happening. And I've no real interest in baseball. All this by accident.

Point Taken Bobdadruma.

Like wise, there has been input into our country for the introdution of AF, it has been taken up by certain sectors of the public, but our national sport is football, for which many a surpporter is passionate, sometimes to the point of ridiculous.

The only thing i would say about football, is it is not just euro football, but world football, where all of south America, Africa, europe, united kingdom. Russia, Bulgon States, middle east countries, Asia, all play the game, where the world cup, really is all countys around the world united in one compertition for the world cup.

This time being held in South Affrica 2010..

Back