Worst idea in Drumming

I briefly played those "bodyless" conga heads.

( what are they called? )

And they sounded retarded-good, man.

LP Compact Congas. I have played a pair for about 5 years.

For most situations, they sound excellent. Congas aren't known for their low end, but for the cracks and slaps and the Compact Congas absolutely deliver on that. They can fit on stage or in a drumset and weigh nothing.

I think anything built with rivets in it. What the hell? I had this bass pedal that had a rivet to keep the beater in place and that sucker was loose about 3 weeks after I bought. Screws nuts or bolts that can be tightened would almost seem as must for a gigging drummer that sets up and breaks down their kit multiple times. Perhaps this was a church kit pedal? Hmm..hadn't thought about that...

This has to rack right up there:

PA046.jpg

I believe the product is called the Gibraltar Paperweight.

This is a great thread.

I am gonna say Slingerland's Clamshell strainer. Horrible, horrible design, yet almost outdone by the Zoomatic strainer another complete piece of junk.

Has anyone used a Yamaha Russ Miller Cascara Wedge yet? It should be illegal to sell these. They are expensive and really bad sounding. If you don't want to hit the shell of your floor tom (which I don't), you get a much better sound using the rim of the drum for Cascara.

I briefly played those "bodyless" conga heads.

( what are they called? )

And they sounded retarded-good, man.

Well, Larry said "usable" not necessarily "good"

And the body less congas are certainly usable has hand drums. If you like the sound of them or not is purely subjective.

While certainly not the worst idea in drumming history, I personally do not like Flix Stix Rods. They are just too heavy compared to Pro-Mark Hot Rods or Vic Firth Rutes to even be used for the same purposes.

The little splash holder on the snare. It screws onto the lug. Metal on metal buzzes. This was actually my first snare drum. I got it like 7 years ago and I still use the snare. My drum was of higher quality than this one but the mount was completely useless. Plus it screwed up the tuning.

Attachments

• 31Jk7UMJbCL._SS500_.jpg
    31Jk7UMJbCL._SS500_.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 1,331
It was Tama, I think, that made an isolation-mount for snare drums to make them more resonant. That, I thought, was pretty silly.

And cymbal springs, anyone remember those? If cymbals wobbling all over the place is your thing then you definitely need those.

And finally, does anyone remember that very weird drum-frame thing where the drums were elevated above the floor and you sat in a sort of pilot's seat to play the kit? That's got to be the most ridiculous thing I ever saw.

What? Do you mean this specific item by Gibraltar, or any cowbell holder for foot pedal? I absolutely love having the possibility to play a cowbell with my left foot!

Not the brand, Gibraltor is fine, it's the concept. The world is pocked with cowbell-pedal thingers littering the dusty corners of drum practice rooms. I think you and Jeff are the two guys that wrote the two reviews that makes everyone else go out and buy one.

Just kidding here guys of course. Hey, wanna buy a footy bracket thing?

Has anyone seen a quick release lug system? I'm not sure if it was good or not because I saw a prototype a couple years ago. But how did they turn out?

Not the brand, Gibraltor is fine, it's the concept. The world is pocked with cowbell-pedal thingers littering the dusty corners of drum practice rooms. I think you and Jeff are the two guys that wrote the two reviews that makes everyone else go out and buy one.

Just kidding here guys of course. Hey, wanna buy a footy bracket thing?
I'll buy one when I find a way to grow a third leg with a foot!

Wait, I've got one: "tabs" - drum tablatures.

Why do you think this is a bad idea? It made learning how to play songs free and highly accessible. Who cares if it's not sheet? I can read both sheet and tab, and learn by ear, too. Learning tabs might not make you better at learning drumming by ear, or by sheet, but it doesn't make you worse.

The worst idea? Stock heads on kits. High-end kits aside, I've yet to find a stock head that actually sounds good. I mean, seriously, they're hideous. Why don't they just sell kits with no heads included? It's not like people couldn't afford them. If somebody is spending $1000 on a kit, surely they wouldn't mind spending an extra $100 on heads. I sure wouldn't.

The worst idea? Stock heads on kits. High-end kits aside, I've yet to find a stock head that actually sounds good. I mean, seriously, they're hideous. Why don't they just sell kits with no heads included? It's not like people couldn't afford them. If somebody is spending $1000 on a kit, surely they wouldn't mind spending an extra $100 on heads. I sure wouldn't.
OK, You're a drum company. You want your drums to sound good.
Why not put good heads on them!!! HELLO!!!
I would pay the $50 difference in the price of the kit for decent heads!
WHAT ARE YOU BIG DRUM MARKETING IDIOTS THINKING???
Don't you guys read threads on this sight? We all hate you and your cheapskate ways!
Do you get kickbacks from the head manufacturing companies?
The heads are the most important part of the drum! If you put good heads on your drums they will sound better and you will sell more drums! When your drums are played next to a drum kit with cheap heads they will win, You will get the sale and you will win!

WAKE UP MORONS! SMELL THE COFFEE!

The worst idea in drumming has to be the choice of the manufacturers to install crap heads on their drums. By far!
Only a pencil necked geek accountant can be responsible for this.
I can see the meeting now.
Acct, "Wee can save five dollars per drum by putting crap heads on them"
Board of directors response, "Good idea, No one will know the difference, Put the cheap heads on"

Back