I need an advice on some Yamaha pedals

johnshimvv

hey guys
I'm thinking about getting yamaha double pedals
but I'm debating on direct or chain.
what are cons and pros for direct? and chain?
I do gigs a lot. some times I cannot take my pedals
so I use whatever's on the floor.
but If I buy the direct pedal
would I be able to play on chain right away?
I need some advices!!!
thanks!

It's really a matter of personal feel as to whether or not you prefer direct drive over chain. I've played both and in the end I prefer the direct drive just feel better. But there are guys who don't like the feel of direct drive systems so like I said it's really a matter of what feels best to your feet. I just bought a yamaha direct drive (not the newer version, it's predecessor) for a new kit at church, I play a DW9000 on my kit at home and I prefer the feel of that yamaha to my DW (my wife isn't too happy about that since she bought me the 9000) I switched from the chain to the strap a few years ago and that felt better but after playing that yamaha well, wishing I had one of those.

As for going between the two, I do it every week without any issues. However I have a high end pedal that is very responsive, now if I was going from the yamaha to a really cheap pedal then that's a different story. Why wouldn't you be able to swap out pedals? It only takes a minute to do so.

The chain is not particularly good on the Yamaha, the direct drive is much, much better! The chain drive feels sluggish (more so than a DW 9000 and a Sonor Giant Step), and the one I have is quite noisy! The chain rattles against the footboard, because of how it's connected to it. Maybe it's not always an issue with the chain drives, but the direct drive is whisper quiet.

As with anything, though, if you use it heavily, it will eventually break, or wiggle loose in spots. So far the Yamaha direct drive has help up perfectly for 2 years against daily use and frequent gigs. I also have a Sonor Giant Step that feels completely solid after 5 years of gigs!

Back