Anybody switch from double to single?

• Thread starter drumming sort of person
  • Start date
The only time I used it was when I played some metal covers back in the day but even then it wasn't the crazy fast stuff. I was never that good at it so it hasn't changed my approach in that it wasn't really a huge part of my approach to begin with. If I end up improving my double bass skill it will be purely for my own satisfaction and maybe to do some recording of metal ideas I have.

As was stated in the previous post, there are way more uses for double bass drumming than for just "metal".

Without the double pedal there, I find that you're forced to:
A) develop your right foot to higher degree
B) play something involving other sound sources that will probably sound more musical, less bombastic, and take up less sonic space

BUT, in some genres, the double bass drum (or double pedal) is a crucial component, so this criticism wouldn't apply.

Issue with point A:
You do it with one foot, I do it with two. Who cares? Why is one way better than the other?
Are you going to win drummer of the decade award because you can play something with one bass drum? There was already a John Bonham, and every drummer on the planet will never ever have a better right foot than him.

Issue with point A:
You do it with one foot, I do it with two. Who cares? Why is one way better than the other?
Are you going to win drummer of the decade award because you can play something with one bass drum? There was already a John Bonham, and every drummer on the planet will never ever have a better right foot than him.

Playing the same figure with one foot frees up the other foot to play the hi-hat, or merely to use as leverage, or an "anchor". Playing it with two feet will allow you to play it louder and with more even definition, but playing the hi-hat at the same time as your left foot plays the left bass drum pedal is both tricky and ineffective.

If you don't care about playing hi-hats (as in Keith Moon), you have no reason to be commenting on this anyway.

As for your take on John Bonham, I suppose you haven't heard much of Tony Williams bass drum playing...or Buddy Rich for that matter...

Played a single for a number of years before doubles were mainstreamed then switched to a double, but now I'm back to a single. However, it isn't by choice as I was involved in a bad accident leaving my left leg handicapped. Still working on quarter notes with the hi hat.

I understand being tired of double bass. Frankly I think its overwhelming for some drummers that have half an idea of how to use it....but anybody, before you say double bass is cliche or corny, there was a VC solo from a NYC show with Jeff beck in 09 I believe, its still on YouTube.lol anyway, the man simply confounded everyone in the place with double bass flams and a lot of triplets and double bass/cymbal combos. Its unf***ing believable he would come up with that in that context... you really have to see it for yourself!

Yes, and Vinnie's use of the double pedal is one of the only reasons I still use mine! He's one of the only guys using it creatively and in a variety of conditions.

Anyone else switched to one pedal? If so, how do you feel it changed your approach?

I had double BD kits, then moved to single kits with a double pedal and finally 3 years ago went for a single pedal.

The main reason is that I didn't needed the double for the music I play and the secondary reason is ergonomy, the hat and single BD pedals are now perfectly positioned, before it was a compromise between the hat and remote BD pedals.

The approach hasn't change dramatically, but it opened a few new challenges for the BD foot to replicate some double BD patterns.

Anyone else switched to one pedal? If so, how do you feel it changed your approach?

I "toyed" with a double pedal for a long while back in the 1990's. I realized that in order to really be able to play it effectively and consistently, I'd have to dedicate much practice time to it. I simply didn't have enough time to devote to it.

Also, being relatively short and needing my hi-hat placed closed to me, I had the slave pedal extend to the left of the hi-hat stand, making it even more uncomfortable.

Ironically, I just sold that double pedal last year to someone who has put it to good use.

Lastly, since the 1990's, musically I've switched gears into a style that really doesn't use much of it so I really don't regret the decision.

Do what works best for you.

I started out playing double bass and I'm going to die playing double bass.

Aw heck, I play with the single pedal from time to time too. Cut me some slack.

I play the double pedal at home and in many of the band situations I find myself in, when appropriate, and very, very rarely does that involve dubba dubba. At church, I play single pedal about 98% of the time.

I'm putting together a set of vintage Ludwigs - a 4-piece - and I'll be buying a single pedal for those. Don't think I need the double there.

Double pedal is a tool, nothing more, nothing less, and it's a legitimate tool. So is the single pedal. Why question what tools someone wants to use? Bonzo used a squeaky single Speed King.

Double pedal is a tool, nothing more, nothing less, and it's a legitimate tool. So is the single pedal. Why question what tools someone wants to use? Bonzo used a squeaky single Speed King.

No one is questioning what tools someone wants to use, just how their playing changed if they went from two to one.

No one is questioning what tools someone wants to use, just how their playing changed if they went from two to one.

My playing doesn't change much. I don't do anything different with my hands, and I have always done doubles with my right foot whether on a single or a double pedal. The double is usually used for fills and quick triplet figures with the toms. I'm maybe missing two notes of every seven without a slave pedal. I don't do doubles with my left foot, usually only singles, which leads to a double-single sort of shuddering triplet with the feet, or a dotted note in the middle of four sixteenths, if I time it correctly; otherwise I do three or four single strokes for triples and sixteenths or thirty-seconds.

Ever since I got a double pedal some 5 years ago, I've loved incorporating that in to the music I played. But now I've been in a band for about a year and the music is definatly too soft for double bass, probably too soft for a china but I use one anyway. I find that the drum parts I write somewhat sound like I had a double pedal in mind. Like I use the heel toe technique to do the fast bass-bass-right-left groove.

I'm so spoiled by a double pedal, I'd have a hard time going back to a single............right foot is too slow nowadays

I used a double pedal for the last ten years, mostly for live work. A few months ago, I just felt really stagnant behind the kit, playing the same stuff over and over. So, I ditched the slave pedal and I've been practicing a lot of linear stuff, and I feel like my playing's really opened up. Not saying I'm dropping the double forever, but I feel my playing is very solid and creative right now, and its been a while since I felt this way. I'm staying single for a while.

I'm so spoiled by a double pedal, I'd have a hard time going back to a single............right foot is too slow nowadays

Practicing with a double has increased my right foot speed.

But then again, I've been trying a lot of different things I don't normally do. To the point where I'm focusing on footwork at the expense of handwork.
It almost seems an obsession at times. Probably balance out eventually though.

I feel my playing is very solid and creative right now, and its been a while since I felt this way. I'm staying single for a while.

You see? Now that is telling.

Yes, played double pedal starting when I was 15, at about 26 I went to single kick. In the past 2 years I've gone back to double. My thought is this- if you can't get by with a single foot, then you've gotta learn to before you can truly advance. There's just so much that one kick foot can do. The only reason that I'm using the double is that in trios, I find that if I bridge my hihat technique with the double pedal, it fattens up the sonic space a bit more. Mind you, it's gotta groove first.

I convert my double to single sometimes to develop more hi hat technique. Otherwise the hi hat pedal doesnt get much love from me.

Music i play (metal) requires a double bass but i do want to develop my hi hat aswell since i get the impression it gets ignored way too much these days.

I use a double but it doesn't have to be played constantly. Sometimes, I like working on my right foot and hi hat technique. But if I took the left pedal away, I just kicking the ground since I'm so use to moving my foot over all the time.

Back